Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Questions, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

Location: "No one cares if you're in before the lock!" - Best quote ever.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions, etc.

First off, I'll tell of my most recent experiment...I was recently employed by a local pro audio store, (all home theatre type stuff), which deals in the higher-end equipment - subs, powered towers, etc. Yesterday I obtained a 10" sub driver out of one of the subs, and since it was free, and the screw mounting pattern was the same, I figured 'what the hell' and installed it in a nice ported box. I know the issue of ohms home subs vs. car audio, but all I can say is WOW....this thing DESTROYS. I've heard the Alpines, Infinitys, etc., but nothing matches the range and sheer power of this sub. The company is Nuance, you can look them up on audioreview.com, I think...but the sound is unbelievable. Now, my question - I'm a bit new when it comes to wiring and amp installation, but the amp I have is similar to the red Xplod amp shown here, http://www.mz3.net/articles/187.html though it's a fair bit longer on either end - it has the onboard EQ, etc., and all of that - but only one independant 'subwoofer' out. It does has a variety of other outputs, enough to power the rest of the car, so I imagine I can use, say, the outs for my rears to power the second sub? It's all just signal, right? I wish I could find the exact amp so ya could see what I mean..I'll keep looking tonight.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
It's a sub meant for a home system? If so, it's probably an 8 ohm sub- but check the specs on the sub first. Car audio uses 4 ohm speakers. Since the sub's load is less, an amp can power it harder. You've basically cut the wattage to that sub in half, since the home-audio-sub is 8 ohms.

What you could do for a second sub is wire it in parallel with the first sub. Two 8 ohm subs in parallel shows a 4 ohm load to the amp. And that saves you from having to use your rear speaker outputs to drive a second sub.

Just make sure the Nuance sub is 8 ohms. It's probably written on the magnet somewhere. Also think of how well the sub can handle extreme 100-degree-day-parked-in-sun-with-windows-up temperatures.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Originally posted by TomP
It's a sub meant for a home system? If so, it's probably an 8 ohm sub- but check the specs on the sub first. Car audio uses 4 ohm speakers. Since the sub's load is less, an amp can power it harder. You've basically cut the wattage to that sub in half, since the home-audio-sub is 8 ohms.
Not necessarily true....

I've seen 32 ohm home audio speakers, 8 ohm car speakers, and 2 ohm car speakers, etc. It can vary greatly. I had 8-ohm JL audio car-audio subs in my truck.

But yeah, if you're not overpowering or overloading anything, and it pounds, more power to ya.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
LOL, that's why I said "probably", and told him to check the specs.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Location: "No one cares if you're in before the lock!" - Best quote ever.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent, thanks guys...I wasn't sure if I could do 4 into 8 safely or vice-versa. Woo!