Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

1988 trans am stereo wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Trans Am
Engine: 305 TBI
1988 trans am stereo wiring diagram

Just putting a new stereo and taking out factory. If anyone knows the diagram of which wire controls what cause some of my colors ain't matching help me out. I know this has been asked already.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27
well, i am sure it has. but good luck searching for it...

a question first. does your car still have the original factory plug? if so DO NOT hack it out. just go to your local car stereo store and get an adapter harness. they can give you one that plugs intop your new deck and the factory plug or give you one with bare wires that attaches to your factory harness that you can match up to your new decks harness.

i would do this for a few reasons.
1. make sit easy to put the factory deck back in should you ever sell the car, or deside to "restore" it or somthing.
2. makes upgrading to an even batter deck down the road easy, as you just go buy another adapter harness
3. looks more professional to buyers shoul;d you ever sell the car.
4. you will not have to deal with "shrinking harness syndrom". that is waht you call it when your wire harness gets shorter and shorter every time you install a new deck, due to all the cutting...
5. they are less then 10$. for goodness sake just go get one.

if however you no longer have the original harness, or allready hacked it out, the wire diagrams can be found in the factory service manual, and on this site somewhere... i happened to have saved an image of the diagram, i'll just upoad it here...

Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 T.B.I. (Vin tag "E" = LO3)
Transmission: THM-700-R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi 3.23
Originally Posted by youngmiguel
...and taking out factory...
Hey hey.. what radio was it?? bc if its the 5 band eq tape player with the performance sound (and still works) i want it..