Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

new to the camaro world and need some help with wireing

Old 03-11-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to the camaro world and need some help with wireing

first off im rob i live in MA i bought a 1987 camaro and it dose not have a radio.. i was looking at the wires and it looks like he cut the stock harness out! ;( i was wndering if anyone knew what wires were wat?? please help me
Old 03-12-2008, 12:00 AM

Car: 84 camaro z28
Engine: 305
Re: new to the camaro world and need some help with wireing

thee should be at least 11 wires, the ones with the stripe going down the the side are all speaker wires, 2 for each speaker(8). and there should be a red wire and black wire thats power and ground.just match up the colors with the headunits wires.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 AM

i figured it out!!! thanks man!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM

hey i had the same problem on my 1986 camaro but it seems as if its all stock but im not getting any power and i was wondering if there are any other wires that i could use instead. my friend mentioned using the power wire from the cigarette lighter and i didn't understand help please thanxks
Old 03-24-2008, 08:29 AM

hey man ,

what i did was run a power wire from the battery!!! for power! then black as ground, yellow is ur remote wire!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:41 AM

Car: 84 Trans AM
Engine: 327
Transmission: M5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by bkenealy
hey i had the same problem on my 1986 camaro but it seems as if its all stock but im not getting any power and i was wondering if there are any other wires that i could use instead. my friend mentioned using the power wire from the cigarette lighter and i didn't understand help please thanxks
Question is do you want to run the stock radio or put in an aftermarket one? If your harness is cut and you want to run the stock radio I recommend shopping the junk yards for one then splicing it back into your car. If you have a dead power try to solve that issue first and make sure it's not a bigger problem. A lot of dead stereo wires have been due to pinched wires under a nut or seat rail or bracket that was tightened down. If you are going aftermarket, honestly I'd just run new speaker wire and maybe a new power wire depending on the year of the car. It's been awhile since I've been in the dash, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

Constant power wire: Red or Orange (provides constant power to the unit, keeps your clock running and keeps your presets)
Switched power: Yellow (stems from the ignition, turns the radio on when you turn the key)
Ground: Black
Dimmer: light gray or brown (dims your display when you use your dimmer switch)
Remote wire: Blue (used to turn on amps or raise power antena)

The rest are your paired speaker wires, run a google search for you year and model for stereo wiring color codes and find those. I hope this helps you a little.

-Dave