Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

thinking about getting Pioneer DEH-P6200BT... questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt
thinking about getting Pioneer DEH-P6200BT... questions

Hey guys, I'd like to buy this head unit right here for my 1991 Trans Am, except I know next to nothing about car audio. Reasons I like this one are because the red accents matching the factory red back lit gauges, iPod control, bluetooth, HD radio capability, etc.

Only questions are, what kind of kits do I need to purchase to install it (wiring, trim/bezel, etc), and is there any head unit with similar features except with the ipod input plug on the back? So I can just feed a cable to the center console, plug the ipod in, and forget it. That would be nice but not totally necessary which is why I'm considering this unit.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/DEH-P6200BT

Everything on my car's audio system is stock, all the speakers, wiring, etc.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E
Re: thinking about getting Pioneer DEH-P6200BT... questions

when adding an aftermarket radio to your car, you'll need the gm wiring harness adapter and the install trim kit (since gm used din & 1/2 on our cars). both parts should be readily available from any car audio shop, best buy, and even most auto part stores. can find everything you need here too:
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/veh...model=FIREBIRD

GM1500B is a universal trim install kit - it will stick out a little but not modification needs to be done otherwise.
GM1516B is the flush mount kit, but you'll need to hack up some stuff behind the radio due to clearance. easy, but can get messy, not necessarily for the faint of heart.
GM02B is the harness adapter you'll need to hook into your factory harness
MDA1B is the antenna adapter you'll need to get the new radio hooked up to the factory antenna
Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Yeah, I noticed all the new Pioneers have the USB & Aux input up front, which means cables shooting out the front... some of the older models have them in the back... the 2 I got do... Other than that, I love them and they work and sound great...

Rafael
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 AM

I bought a pioneer off of ebay for $80, not sure of the model and the only reason I wanted that one was because it had the rear usb so I could just run the cable through the console and into the center console and nobody knows I have an IPOD but it was like $160 at Wal mart, so my first recommendation would be to check out ebay. Also I just typed in 92 camaro mounting kit in the ebay search thing and found a whole package that included the mounting kit, wire harness and antenna adapter and I think that whole thing was between $10 and $15 on a side note I plugged everything into my 2001 grand prix to make sure it all worked before picking my car up and it was the same so I would assume you could buy the same kit I had and it would work for you, I also got a 6' IPOD cable for just a couple dollars all in all I know I had right around $100 into a stereo that could play my IPOD out of sight out of mind.

As far as Pioneer's quality I personally have had 3 and in my opinion their quality is second to none all of them have sounded great and 2 of them have been cheap ones or at least the first one I had was and the 2nd one I bought was their most expensive model that I got at a fire sale (10 years later the display quit working but it was pretty when it worked ) and this last one I bought has been great so far.

As far as mounting them they can be a little tricky basically I really have no tips other than you just have to look at it and see what you have and maybe modify it a little bit. I had to on mine but it works just fine once I got it in.

As far as wiring everything is color coded to the same colors and if you are unsure it is written right on the wire what each wire does so that is very simple.

I'm not sure what your plans are for the stereo system in your car but 10 years ago I was just like you and knew nothing about car audio and I bought a 97 Camaro and wanted a little thump in the radio and I just read a few internet articles and I put together the best sounding system I ever heard in person for about $900 (keep in mind the deck cost me $500) and this was a deck, sub, amp, power antenna, replacing the rest of the speakers, all the wiring and building my own sub box, now I know there were better sounding systems out there but I was totally impressed with what I did for the money, You could hear me a few blocks away which is not what I intended but inside the car it was very balanced as far as hearing the music along with the bass. After paint and interior work to my 92 I plan to give it the same stereo treatment. But the stereo systems in our cars are not the greatest in stock form compared to newer cars but for about $500 I'm sure you could get a system that would rival any stock system in a newer car.

If you have any more questions let me know I would be happy to help. On a side note what I look for when purchasing a deck is subwoofer control and hi-lo pass filter, which this deck you're looking at has and if you are planning to put a better system in the car I will explain what those are later (By the way I think that is the real reason my system was the best sounding I had heard at that time those options were pretty rare on decks.)

Last edited by hardon85; 04-27-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks so much for the input guys! However I think I'm going to stick with a different radio, that being the Kenwood KDC-BT945U. It covers basically every I'd like in the radio like the Pioneer, except it has the USB input in the back! Plus I think it looks a little sleeker.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT94...ures_and_specs

What do you think? I'm thinking about getting the refurbished model for $190. I wonder if that's a good idea. The price is definitely more appealing.

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613B...B_Input%7cRear
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

If you look on the back of all mid-range and up pioneer head units made in the last 2o years or so, you will notice a blue plug. Pioneer has had more than three names for this over the years (IP bus is the most recent, IIRC.) There is an adaptor cable that plugs into this rear-mounted plug that will allow you to direct-connect your Ipod. (Cost around $25.oo and is available on ebay.)

As a former car stereo shop owner, I believe in ONLY pioneer. I sold all the other brands too and just couldnt get past the much higher quality of the pioneer products. Sure, kenwood and Sony are usually cheaper, But then again A Kia cost a lot less than a Ferrari too! (You really DO get what you pay for.) Good luck, either way you go.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

Oh yeah I don't doubt it... I've always associated Pioneer with quality. I'm just not a fan of the front USB port but maybe I'll change my mind... speaking of which, I can't ever make up my mind lol. Now I'm debating if I should use the money I'd spend on the sound system for exhaust headers instead.

And I've done some more research on the Kenwood unit. Apparently one of their biggest faults is lag while switching between menus. Very few things infuriate me more than lag, so that will have to wait until I can find a unit at an electronics store that I can play with myself.

Last edited by musclecar70sfan; 04-29-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

Yes, there is no substitute for a little hands-on experience.