Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Anybody know a way around this?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: 400 Smallblock
Anybody know a way around this?

Since the Camaro is down for the winter I decided that I had to get an aftermarket radio in my Cobalt so I'd have some tunes for the winter.

So I got a cheap pioneer deck and put that in along with one of the subs out of my Camaro. Now the problem, whenever I have the rca's hooked up to the rear channel output on the stereo to provide the signal to the amp that drives the woofer, the rear speakers stop working. I believe that the head units internal amplifier is cutting the rear speaker output and simply passing the unamplified signal out the rca's. So as I said its a cheap unit and there is no rear subwoofer control or anything like that. Does anybody know of a way that I can make it pass the signal to rca and amplify the signal for the rear speakers?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: 400 Smallblock
Re: Anybody know a way around this?

I just used a spare fuse to tell the amp when to come on and now the radio itself is none the wiser. All speakers now working
Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

For future searchers,it sounds like you used the wrong remote wire to control amp.
Blue=power ant control
blue/white= amp control
Old 11-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TPI

Originally Posted by garyk1970
For future searchers,it sounds like you used the wrong remote wire to control amp.
Blue=power ant control
blue/white= amp control
Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 PM

If I am reading this correctly, you are hooking the rca's to the rear speaker wires, not a set of pre-amp outputs from the radio. if this is the case, the only way to do this would be to use a line output converter. Then you can use your rear speakers as well as as rca's. Without it, your probably clipping the rear section of the radio's internal amp and sending it into protection mode. Amp turn-on wire won't cause the rear speakers to cut off unless they are amplified, which doesn't sound like the case.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

His post is confusing. But the fact he wired the amp remote differentially fixed the problem sounds to me a remote wiring problem.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by garyk1970
His post is confusing. But the fact he wired the amp remote differentially fixed the problem sounds to me a remote wiring problem.
Oops, missed that second post.

Search this Thread