Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Where do I begin..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 355TPI
Transmission: TCI SF 700r4
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 3.27
Where do I begin..

Okay, like the title says, I have no clue on audio stuff. The furthest I've ever been in audio modification is swapping out burner head units. Not in a bose car before, though. I know colour code matching and that sorta jazz. I'm really good at searching, too. But I'm currently overwhelmed.

I need some help pointing my face in the right direction, as I have a bad head unit, volume isn't so great. I have a bad rear amp.

One of the amps in my '87 IROC Z-28 WITH factory bose sound has gone bad. I've tried throwing in a different speaker and still it's distorted, popping, and staticy. Loud static.

I'm also on a budget.
I just need some pointers. Should I go about repairing the bose amp, (where would i begin), or should i gut the system and start from scratch with some cheap custom system. No, I don't want subs that shake my license plate off. I just want something that sounds 'good' while listening to Kick Start My Heart.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Where do I begin..

The bose systems can be repaired fairly easily. I have one I'm working on for another TGO member currently. When working properly they sound decent. If you want to keep the stock appearance, repair is the way to go. If not, you can buy a fairly inexpensive head unit and new speakers and have a decent sounding setup. PM for more details if your thinking about getting the bose repaired.