Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Bad Preouts on pioneer HU .?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 5.0
Bad Preouts on pioneer HU .?

I just recently replaced my deck, Amp, and sub to more updated current ones. The deck is a pioneer deh 9600bhs , the amp is the pioneer GM d9601 . The problem I'm running into is that the amp isn't powering the sub, everything is on but that. I took it to a shop and they said the amp was bad, left there to my cousins and put it in his car to test it and it worked perfect. So I pulled out the deck and tried switching the RCA cables to different Preouts, nothing worked ( Deck has 3 sets of Preouts for the front back and sub ) . I tried using a different set of RCAs, no luck. So I'm thinking it's the deck, although it's brand new. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:42 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Transmission: 700r
Re: Bad Preouts on pioneer HU .?

did you turn on the subwoofer setting on the head unit ? a friend of mine had same issue subwoofer wouldnt work, went into his settings..set his Sub W. ON..and LPF to 55hz (was on throughout )

also is the remote wire hooked up?..(blue wire)?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM

heres your manual
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...nual080713.pdf
Old 07-26-2015, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Queball
did you turn on the subwoofer setting on the head unit ? a friend of mine had same issue subwoofer wouldnt work, went into his settings..set his Sub W. ON..and LPF to 55hz (was on throughout )

also is the remote wire hooked up?..(blue wire)?
Yup, went into the settings and toggled between the options for Rear Sp : full range and Rear sp: s.w. and the subwoofer is turned on and is on the "normal" option. And are you saying he turned his lpf to 55hz.? And yup the remote wire is hooked up, the amp turns on and off with the deck.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:51 PM

I've been reading through the manual for 4 days lol, can't figure out what the issue is, I even emailed pioneer and I'm waiting for Monday to get my response.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:06 PM

do the rest of you speakers work?

sounds like the RCA jacks on back of HU..are dead..
do you have more then 1 set of RCAs in the back?..if so did u try using the other ports?

id replace the HU..if it worked at your cus house..then.u need to test the HU..

kind of silly question but.are the sub speakers hooked up properly?..
Old 07-26-2015, 07:05 PM

do the rest of you speakers work?

sounds like the RCA jacks on back of HU..are dead..
do you have more then 1 set of RCAs in the back?..if so did u try using the other ports?

id replace the HU..if it worked at your cus house..then.u need to test the HU..

kind of silly question but.are the sub speakers hooked up properly?..

Yeah all the other speakers work fine. I tried all set's of ports in the back of the HU, also tried a spare set of cables, nothing worked. And yeah I have the Sub wired properly to the amp. Next thing I was going to do was test the deck out. Because I ordered it and really don't feel like having to send it back etc.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dkelz313
Yeah all the other speakers work fine. I tried all set's of ports in the back of the HU, also tried a spare set of cables, nothing worked. And yeah I have the Sub wired properly to the amp. Next thing I was going to do was test the deck out. Because I ordered it and really don't feel like having to send it back etc.
yea thats the one draw back i hate is ordering online..rather then local store
Old 07-26-2015, 08:08 PM

how are you wiring up the speakers?...are you setting it up as bridge or ?..
Old 07-26-2015, 08:12 PM

do you have the HU RC OUT to AMP RCA INPUT?

not tryin to make ya feel dumb just tryin to eliminate misshookups we all tend to make an "opps" moments..lol
Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 PM

how are you wiring up the speakers?...are you setting it up as bridge or ?..
Ii have it wired normal, parallel. Just one sub
Old 07-26-2015, 10:12 PM

do you have the HU RC OUT to AMP RCA INPUT?

not tryin to make ya feel dumb just tryin to eliminate misshookups we all tend to make an "opps" moments..lol
Lol yeah, all of the RCA ports on the deck are outputs. Either for the front or back speakers and the sub, I have them in the sub output, and tried the other two also. And yup, they're plugged into the input on the amp. I want to plug my deck up to someone who has a system with pioneer, so I can just unplug it from my cars harness and plug it into theirs. Do you know of places that do that.? Like maybe car toys or best buy.?
Old 07-26-2015, 10:27 PM

Lol yeah, all of the RCA ports on the deck are outputs. Either for the front or back speakers and the sub, I have them in the sub output, and tried the other two also. And yup, they're plugged into the input on the amp. I want to plug my deck up to someone who has a system with pioneer, so I can just unplug it from my cars harness and plug it into theirs. Do you know of places that do that.? Like maybe car toys or best buy.?

yea best buy can test for u..at least where i live they do...
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 AM

yea best buy can test for u..at least where i live they do...
Alright coo, I'm going to see if they do that out here today. Hopefully they don't try and charge me too much if they charge at all.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:52 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS T-Top
Engine: 5.0 Tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Just a thought, I have done this before so no judgement, but in a rush to install everything, are you sure the subwoofer is wired to the box on the inside of the box? Try using the subwoofer in your friends car.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI

Maybe try unhooking the other speakers? I'm wondering if your amp isn't stable down to the load you are placing on it. Perhaps it has some protection circuitry that shuts down the sub in that case. Seems like you've tried everything else.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wife'sCar
Just a thought, I have done this before so no judgement, but in a rush to install everything, are you sure the subwoofer is wired to the box on the inside of the box? Try using the subwoofer in your friends car.

Everything was already wired up, just swapped everything out. And yeah, it's just in a single 12" sub box that sits in the back, I even pulled out the sub and hooked up my old sub, still nothing.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rockguy
Maybe try unhooking the other speakers? I'm wondering if your amp isn't stable down to the load you are placing on it. Perhaps it has some protection circuitry that shuts down the sub in that case. Seems like you've tried everything else.
The interior speakers are wired to the head unit.. Only thing the amp is running is one sub, it's a mono block, and its stable at 1 2 and 4 ohms, I have the sub wired so it will be at 4 ohms.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:48 AM

The interior speakers are wired to the head unit.. Only thing the amp is running is one sub, it's a mono block, and its stable at 1 2 and 4 ohms, I have the sub wired so it will be at 4 ohms.
Oh ok. I thought all speakers were wired to the amp. Man it's hard to believe all of the deck RCA's are dead. I think you said in your original post that you swapped out the RCA cable itself?

Is it possible there is something in the setup menu where you have to turn the sub on?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:55 AM

Oh ok. I thought all speakers were wired to the amp. Man it's hard to believe all of the deck RCA's are dead. I think you said in your original post that you swapped out the RCA cable itself?

Is it possible there is something in the setup menu where you have to turn the sub on?
Yep, I had an extra pair of RCA cables that I tried, that didn't work either. And in the settings I turned the sub on and off then back on a couple times over. My car has been in the shop since Monday, I get it back today, them I'm going to try and see if I can get the deck tested somewhere, I also have Amazon sending me a replacement which should be here tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:03 PM

Yep, I had an extra pair of RCA cables that I tried, that didn't work either. And in the settings I turned the sub on and off then back on a couple times over. My car has been in the shop since Monday, I get it back today, them I'm going to try and see if I can get the deck tested somewhere, I also have Amazon sending me a replacement which should be here tomorrow.
Ahh ok. Be sure to post the fix when you find it. I'm interested in the conclusion of this.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 PM

Ahh ok. Be sure to post the fix when you find it. I'm in the conclusion of this.
Will do
Old 07-31-2015, 12:45 PM

Pioneer had an issue with some head units preouts losing ground, strip a length of copper wire long enough to wrap around the outputs twice, also strip about a foot long piece on either end not the whole wire this time.

Find a screw on the metal body of the unit, run the end stripped piece from that screw to the bare ends on the rcas, wrap the stripped piece around the preouts nice and tight but leave enough to wrap both ends around the ground screw we just made.

If it's a ground issue this will solve it. Had to do this on a DVD pioneer unit a buddy was gonna throw away because of same problem, works great in my car and it's not like you can see the back once it's installed lol.

It's something to do with a resistor they used like an internal fuse. Some of them pop real easy.

Last edited by Wife'sCar; 07-31-2015 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Remember a wire location wrong
Old 07-31-2015, 01:19 PM

Pioneer had an issue with some head units preouts losing ground, strip a length of copper wire long enough to wrap around the outputs twice, also strip about a foot long piece on either end not the whole wire this time.

Find a screw on the metal body of the unit, run the end stripped piece from that screw to the bare ends on the rcas, wrap the stripped piece around the preouts nice and tight but leave enough to wrap both ends around the ground screw we just made.

If it's a ground issue this will solve it. Had to do this on a DVD pioneer unit a buddy was gonna throw away because of same problem, works great in my car and it's not like you can see the back once it's installed lol.

It's something to do with a resistor they used like an internal fuse. Some of them pop real easy.
yea i remember doing this myself in my dads truck.this sometimes works..

i never did like pioneer , my roommate wanted a stereo that changed colors
she got a pioneer..it went on the fritz volume would go up n up for no reason..found a jvc that did same thing..yanked out that pioneer..she been happy ever since.

hit n miss with electronics it seems
Old 08-01-2015, 12:30 AM

Sounds a little complicated lol. But my replacement deck has been here for a few days but my car is still in the shop. Hopefully they'll be done with it by Monday. So on Monday I'll test it with the replacement, and if that has the same problem I'll just buy new RCAs and if that doesn't fix it then I'll try that grounding trick.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:46 PM

Got my car back, tried the replacement deck, NOTHING. Went to best buy, bought some new kicker RCA cables, NOTHING. So I'm about to just give in and have car toys or best buy check it out. I didn't want to pay them all that money for it to be a simple fix but I'm starting not to care, I just want my music.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:57 PM

Got my car back, tried the replacement deck, NOTHING. Went to best buy, bought some new kicker RCA cables, NOTHING. So I'm about to just give in and have car toys or best buy check it out. I didn't want to pay them all that money for it to be a simple fix but I'm starting not to care, I just want my music.

This is bizarre. When you put the amp in your cousins car, you were hooked to the same outputs you are now right? That sub output worked in his car? I think I would try a regular speaker hooked to that sub output.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:14 AM

There's a wiring issue somewhere then or you have the gain set to low in the deck, or frequency set to low.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 AM

This is bizarre. When you put the amp in your cousins car, you were hooked to the same outputs you are now right? That sub output worked in his car? I think I would try a regular speaker hooked to that sub output.
Yep, all I did was take it out my car, remove his amp and hook mine up. Didn't mess with any settings or nothing. And I tried another sub with a lot less RMS and that didn't work either.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 AM

There's a wiring issue somewhere then or you have the gain set to low in the deck, or frequency set to low.
The gain and frequency are at the factory settings, I'm not sure what the factory settings are but I unplugged the deck a few times so it reset everything. If the gain or frequency is off shouldn't I at least feel some sort of vibrations from the sub?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 PM

wow i still cant believe your still having issues..did u check the AMPs fuse ?

are you sure the amp is coming ON..

it almost sounds like the remote wire isnt hooked up to the amp
or turning it on...even with your Freq n Gain set to lowest..u should HEAR music coming from it...

take pictures of your AMP..n the wires hooked up to the amp it self
n post it plz
Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 PM

Yep, all I did was take it out my car, remove his amp and hook mine up. Didn't mess with any settings or nothing. And I tried another sub with a lot less RMS and that didn't work either.

What I was getting at was, does he have the same number of speakers? Does he have a sub that hooked to the same output on your amp?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:58 AM

Welp found the solution... A solution you would never expect.... Took it to car toys, long story short the amp was only getting 4 volts, not enough to push the sub. But my battery was putting out the 12, so some where in-between the battery and the amp something was wrong with the power wire... Well when I bought the car 6 yrs ago it was already wired up. It went from the battery to an inverter to the fuse to a capacitor to the amp... Long story short the wire going to the inverter was getting 12 volts but was only putting out around 8... So he by passed the inverter and had the battery run straight to the fuse and BOOM..... Wasted 160 dollars for them to find out that simple fix but oh well.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 AM

Welp found the solution... A solution you would never expect.... Took it to car toys, long story short the amp was only getting 4 volts, not enough to push the sub. But my battery was putting out the 12, so some where in-between the battery and the amp something was wrong with the power wire... Well when I bought the car 6 yrs ago it was already wired up. It went from the battery to an inverter to the fuse to a capacitor to the amp... Long story short the wire going to the inverter was getting 12 volts but was only putting out around 8... So he by passed the inverter and had the battery run straight to the fuse and BOOM..... Wasted 160 dollars for them to find out that simple fix but oh well.
glad u got it fixed..
Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 AM

glad u got it fixed..
I wish I would've thought to check the voltage but that didn't even cross my mind. This amp Sub combo is a little too powerful for the camaro, baaa hits super heavy, but I'm glad it got figured out.