Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Need help building efficient system

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 200c
Need help building efficient system

I barely know anything about the power output of radios / amps / subs and everything, but i do know that my car has an outdated radio that im going to replace. It also has a Boss 435rev amp (link at end of post) and I want to make sure when I buy my new radio that i'm not cutting off power from the amp. If you guys have any advice on the specs i should be looking for in buying the new radio it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Amazon.com : Boss REV435, 2-Channel Mosfet Power Amplifier, Riot Series, 2x 120 Watt RMS @ 4 ohms stereo, 2 x 300 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms stereo : Vehicle Stereo Amplifiers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Boss REV435, 2-Channel Mosfet Power Amplifier, Riot Series, 2x 120 Watt RMS @ 4 ohms stereo, 2 x 300 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms stereo : Vehicle Stereo Amplifiers : Car Electronics
Old 10-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Need help building efficient system

I'm not sure what you mean cutting off power to the amp?

When you're using amps, the head unit only provides the signal for the amp to amplify. The stereo doesn't do any of that. So any new deck on the market will have RCAs, that you run to the RCA of the amp.

Most decks have 2 or 4V RCAs. either is fine really.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Are you running dash / door / kick speakers and the b pillar too?
Subs?

The amp you posted is a 2 channel... it could run all 4 speakers (let's forget about subs for the moment), but you won't really be able to change the balance, front to back...
A 4 channel amp would let you adjust it... since usually the dash speakers are smaller than the b pillar ones...

When looking for speakers, besides how they sound playing your favorite music (that being most important), you can check the 1 watt per meter rating. A speaker that plays 91db 1/meter is louder (and more efficient) than a speaker that plays 87db 1/meter... There is a balance... Aren't too man high end stores anymore, but if you take some of your favorite music and listen to it with various speakers you are considering, that is the best... when you hear things in the songs you've never heard, subtle instruments, guitar finger slides, etc those can be some nice speakers...

If you go with a sub, a ported enclosure can use less power and make more sound, but are harder to get right...

I have a Boss amp in my daily driver... not the best in the world, but it was cheap, sounds decent and has been playing problem free 6+ years... It did turn brown when originally it was black

Rafael
Old 10-25-2015, 09:43 AM

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 200c

Alright thanks for clerifying a lot of it. I already have subs and an amp in the car with speakers installed in the door and just want to replace the head unit.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Ive put alot of thought into the best sound system in an f body

Dash 4x6s are no good, i replaced them with 4" rounds for better sound. used 3/4"mdf as a spacer for enough clearance and for a cleaner look. Dash offers best sound upfront.

6x9 rears are optimal or 6" rounds. again using mdf as a spacer. kept idea of stock 6x9 cacoons but made out of dynamat inside the b pillar.

6" door speakers would be a nice addition but will require a fiberglass box. Id lean towards 2 6s per door but id check airspace specs for speakers and give them a nice bit of breathing room.

Now onto subs. Airspace would be the way to go on choosing subs. X scorpion makes a solid 2x10 or 2x12 box that can be ported. Sits in trunk area.

Amps for all speakers and subs matching there ratings. Amps can be mounted ontop of gas tank area for a clean look.

Get a decent deck with good signal power (rcas) dont use deck power for speakers you wont be happy with how loud and clear they are.

People often forget about power supply and batteries but upgrading your alternator to 200+ amps or better yet running a second alternator to rear batterries. 3 optima bluetops can fit behind rear wheel wells with minor mods.