Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

No Start after Carb Rebuild and Carb/Intake/Dist Swap - No fuel?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82,83,99 T/As
Engine: 350,350,383
Transmission: ST-10,700r4,4l60e
Axle/Gears: P-3.23,P-3.42?,P-4.10
No Start after Carb Rebuild and Carb/Intake/Dist Swap - No fuel?

Sup guys,

As some of you may know from my last posts I was rebuilding my Qjet.
Well I finished and have it back together.

I had a Performer RPM, Holley 600 and a vacuum advance distributor on it.
The car started with these on it.

Now, I swapped to a Performer Intake, my rebuilt Qjet and CC dist.

The car cranks but nothing happens. I made sure I'm getting spark by watching a removed plug.

My guess is my carb. I don't see anything visually when looking down the primaries and pumping the accelerator. My MCS also doesn't click when I turn the key. I tried another Qjet and hung it over my engine to connect it's MCS and that doesn't click either.
When I took the carb off, the intake was dry. When I flipped it over, fuel came pouring out.

What are my next steps?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: No Start after Carb Rebuild and Carb/Intake/Dist Swap - No fuel?

If the MCS isn't clicking,that's a huge issue. You need to find out why that is.

Take off the fule line from the carb and crank the motor. Using a catch can, do you get fuel from the line?

Is your timing correct? Was it correct before?

Use the ohter CCqjet, evenw without the MCS working properly, you should be able to get the car to start, even if it runs poorly.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

You can rule out the carb by pouring an ounce or 2 of gas into the intake... if the car then starts up but dies after a few seconds, it's a fuel problem. If it still doesn't start, LEAVE THE FUEL SYSTEM ALONE, because it's NOT the problem, and all you'll accomplish by messing with it, is creating EXTRA WORK that you will then have to go back and UNDO once you figure out the REAL problem, which will then be TWICE AS HARD because you will NOT ONLY have the original problem, BUT ALSO, a dinked-with fuel system, to troubleshoot your way around.

I'm betting that won't happen though.

I'd be more inclined to suspect you have the dist in backwards... your spark to #1 is occurring on THE OTHER instance of #1 TDC BESIDES firing, which is, when the piston comes to the top at the end of the exh stroke and beginning of the int stroke. Lift it out just enough to where the gears unmesh and you can turn the shaft; rotate it EXACTLY 180° (½ turn); and drop it back in. See what happens.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ozz1967
If the MCS isn't clicking,that's a huge issue. You need to find out why that is.

Take off the fule line from the carb and crank the motor. Using a catch can, do you get fuel from the line?

Is your timing correct? Was it correct before?

Use the ohter CCqjet, evenw without the MCS working properly, you should be able to get the car to start, even if it runs poorly.
Definitely getting fuel. I have one of those clear filter things and it was empty before crank, then filled up when I turned the key. Timing I'm pretty sure I got right, but I did just drop this distributor in. I could try the other carb on it.

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
You can rule out the carb by pouring an ounce or 2 of gas into the intake... if the car then starts up but dies after a few seconds, it's a fuel problem. If it still doesn't start, LEAVE THE FUEL SYSTEM ALONE, because it's NOT the problem, and all you'll accomplish by messing with it, is creating EXTRA WORK that you will then have to go back and UNDO once you figure out the REAL problem, which will then be TWICE AS HARD because you will NOT ONLY have the original problem, BUT ALSO, a dinked-with fuel system, to troubleshoot your way around.

I'm betting that won't happen though.

I'd be more inclined to suspect you have the dist in backwards... your spark to #1 is occurring on THE OTHER instance of #1 TDC BESIDES firing, which is, when the piston comes to the top at the end of the exh stroke and beginning of the int stroke. Lift it out just enough to where the gears unmesh and you can turn the shaft; rotate it EXACTLY 180° (½ turn); and drop it back in. See what happens.
I'll try the direct gas trick, see what happens. I know the distributor can only go in two ways, pretty sure I got it right, but I will look into it.

Another thing, I called a local "speed shop". The guy said to pour fuel into the fuel bowl of the carb and pump the throttle. Pretty much said to look into the accelerator pump if I'm not getting any squirt.

You guys gave a me a plan of attack.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock

Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 PM

For sure it's a carb issue. Poured gas into the intake and it was firing.
Note to people: remember to keep fuel line away from intake. I used gas from a bottle and completely forgot about the fuel line. Car backfired through the intake and almost started a bad fire. Good thing I had the extinguisher handy or it could've gotten ugly. No damage to anything, only to my ego lol. Shouldn't really rush stuff like this lol. Now I gotta vacuum the retardant and figure out what's wrong with my carb.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 AM

It was the accelerator pump little blue umbrella seal. I originally replaced it with the one in the kit, but I guess somehow it got torn up. Put the original old one back on and I'm getting squirt. Although it is only shooting out of one side. Have to open it up AGAIN to see why it won't shoot out of the driver's side primary.
Getting closer!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock