Story for short.
We do rebuild 2 bird now.
One is a 85 build 86 model year 5.0L LG4 firebird.
And other is 82 build 83 model year 5.0L LU5
Both car lost the original 700R4 tranny in the past (don't know why).
Now the 85 car has TH400 the 82 has Th350 in.
First plan of us was drop out all of ECM and other wiring things from both car and put on each car an aluminum water pump little painting and decorative touch up here an there (open air cleaner chrome valve covers etc, and some new things like new timing, oil pump, etc What recommend in this time.
For the focus in the main question is. We plan to put on Edelbroc 2101 intake with 1406 e.choke carb. to put same performance in. And also a new vacuum controlled distrubutor instead of use the ecm controlled.
But as i hear and read it gives great power but gets extremely low mileage around 11/10 MPG! or less.
From the two cars the older, do not need power just need to runs fine because the CFI is a not a good thing all you know.
Some say better to stay with quadrajet. Because i will gets great (better then 1046) mileage if i add the LG4 car carb and ecm (carb was rebuild a year) and wiring to the 82 car. (the 2 cars has different owners) I dismounted both. And the wiring is still use able. And connections marked and some in my head. I can readd it to the 82 car, but i gets me lot of work and i do not want to see lot if wires in my engine bay.
So some question.
- Is it right i get extremely low mileage with Edelborck'c carb? (i do not interested for extra performance) I agree the standard horsepower.
- Do the new intake increase or degrease the MPG?
- The LG4 has the 2 sensor type Quadrajet. Do this has difference in MPG compared to the non sensor ones? (in rebuild cond it has almost 200$ difference) Dont know it is cam form only the sensors cost or one is better in MPG
- If i replace the stock electric distributor to a vacuum one can i still use the LG4 stuff correctly? (Sensor carb., map sensors, etc) or i do need to get a non sensor quadrajet.
- What is better i want to use the new vacuum distributor, get a 1406 Edlebrock or a non sensor rebuild quadrajet. (almost the same price at summit) (question is for MPG only)
Some says the idle control solenoid and stock choke can be an other vote on the quadrajet side. Now it looks like the Edlebrock can offer three things , performance, easy setup (fine tune), and if need rebuild, use less parts.
I found this carbs available fir bird (first 2) . Now i have the 2nd one with the blue and yellow sensor) third is for a 78 chevy, 4th at summit.
Will glad for any reply or tip/help! Thanks for all!