Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Qjet dies from a high idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '85 IROC-Z
Engine: 305cid
Transmission: 5-speed
Qjet dies from a high idle

Hello from over here!

I've installed a reman qjet from Autoline on my '85 L69, along with new dizzy cap, rotor, coil, leads and plugs. The EGR's been removed, the AIR won't work with the headers and the THERMAC and EFE are missing. I have reconnected the vapour canister and made up the EVAP purge plumbing with new hoses and shiny new clips.

I fired up the car at the weekend and it immediately shot up to a high idle - about 3000rpm (although I think the rev-counter over-reads). I observed as the choke opened, which it did (/hat-tip to sofakingdom!), however as the choke opened, the revs didn't drop or maybe only a couple of hundred rpm. I gave the throttle a blip as the choke was opening and the engine revved up and down, returning to the high idle. Once the choke had opened fully, I gave the throttle another blip and, over about a second or two, the engine stumbled and slowed unevenly until it stalled...

I'll admit I haven't got into the choke tuning, A/F tuning or setting the dwell yet, but I suspect something more fundamental might be happening. Is the reinstalled vapour canister over-fuelling things? I used a new black/greentop vacuum switch. Would this behaviour be caused by a vacuum leak?

Bit puzzled... any words of wisdom?

Many thanks!

Neil
Old 09-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, then tune it. Start by setting the timing, and go from there.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '85 IROC-Z
Engine: 305cid
Transmission: 5-speed
Re: Qjet dies from a high idle

Originally Posted by five7kid
Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, then tune it. Start by setting the timing, and go from there.
Thanks five, I've been reading around the problem and I increasingly suspect a vacuum leak. I have a few likely suspects as I've recently replaced all the vacuum lines...

I won't be able to get back to the car until the weekend, but the first thing I'll do is get out the brake cleaner and fire it up to look for leaks!