Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Carburetors
Register Forgot Password?

Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 03-08-2001, 02:27 AM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (0)
converting from TPI to Carb on my 85 vette, need some help with conversion parts

Im in the middle of going to a carburetor on my 85 Corvette with a 10.5:1 383, AFR 190 CNC heads etc. So far ive got a Vacuum HEI Distributor to replace my computer HEI, a Performer RPM intake (instead of victor jr so itll fit under the vette hood), Holley 750 Double pumper carb, lockup convertor kit because computer wont be controlling it anymore. The questions i have are these:

1) Ive been told i can get a TV kickdown cable out of a 84 Z28 with LG4 carbed motor because it came with a 700r4 and that will connect right up with my carb and the kickdown will work. Any suggestions on better way or will this work??

2) Ive got a big 255lph intank electric fuel pump that ive been using at over 400 horsepower at the wheels on nitrous, but its a EFI high pressure unit. I know i need a regulator to turn down the pressure. What exact regulator do i order? Do i just run a fitting to my feed line now and then the return line is useless??? I would like to keep stock fuel lines,pump location etc so i can go back to TPI in a year or so for smog.

The main problem is im leaving most of the tpi wiring etc in the car so i can go back to tpi for smog. I cant afford to goto a miniram or something etc so its not an option.
Wayquick4u is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 10:02 AM   #2

You should use a four port regulator that used a return line otherwise you put too much strain on your pump.A tv cable from a carbed car should work ,but I suggest getting the B&M adjustable tv cable and use the tv cable bracket made specifically for usings 700's with holley carbs. I will find the pn. later.

I know that you havent asked this but ,why are you doing the swap? I love carbs but I think that you will be better off in the long run sticking with tpi

------------------
83 pacecar,355,sportsman2 heads,3.73s,holley750
msd6a, and much more
www.geocities.com/lae1967
evil t/a is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #3

Re: converting from TPI to Carb on my 85 vette, need some help with conversion parts

i have a 89 iroc took off tpi installing carb i found a dist out of a 79 model chevy 350 i no about hooking up the coil on dist but my question is my dist has old style 4 prong module on my harnese on the car there r 4 wires can anyone tell me what color goes to which prong
ctowen is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #4

Re: converting from TPI to Carb on my 85 vette, need some help with conversion parts

Lots of threads say use a fuel regulator but none of them say with on works the best, or does it even matter.
soxbaseball is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

Classifieds Rating: (1)

you can buy a kickdown cable at summitracing for this application. its around 20.00. for the regulator, i would go with mallory or aeromotive. mallory is around 30.00 cheaper than the aeromotive ones. i went from tbi to tunnel ram and it wasnt hard, but i through a few curveballs at mine.
Project-RS is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 10B-3.73/9"-3.89

Classifieds Rating: (14)

Mallory 4309 is the one typically used.
five7kid is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Carburetors

Tags
85, cable, camaro, carb, convert, converted, converting, corvette, efi, fuel, fule, holley, lockup, tpi, tv