Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Iroc-z Convertible
Re: Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE

yeah everyone can start sending their payment for these. They will be sent out on Tuesday though if that is OK with everyone. I am having the machine cut all of it. my paypal address is droptop406@sbcglobal.net and pm me for my address if you want to mail your payment. $105 shipped if paying through paypal $100 if your payment is mailed. I really appreciate all you guys waiting around on me. Thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Daz
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: Chevy V8
Transmission: auto

too steep for me..lol
Old 07-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

that's fine when your paint rubs off the few nos that are left are just like I said yellowed and $50 more.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Daz
Supreme Member

or you can just get a sheet of vinyl for $20, apply it on and cut whats left. Or you can go to your local sign shop and get one cut for half the price.

If you really want to help the thirdgen community maybe you should have available the graphic file for everyone to download and taken to their local sign shop to get cut
Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX

Originally Posted by Daz
or you can just get a sheet of vinyl for $20, apply it on and cut whats left. Or you can go to your local sign shop and get one cut for half the price.

If you really want to help the thirdgen community maybe you should have available the graphic file for everyone to download and taken to their local sign shop to get cut
$55 bucks from my local guy who does my 4ftx8ft business signs and all my shirts,b.cards,etc...

and yes thats on GOOD material.

Still $105 is a decent deal for the time his guy had to put into it.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

it really isn't as easy as you think to just go to a sign shop and have them cut it the design has to be precise to fit and also out of most of the verts I have seen there usually isn't the original to trace around. but I guess if you think it is that easy to have an oem reproduction that is exact, and pay $20 or $55 or whatever then please be my guess. and since I had to pay to have someone do all the work why would I post the file anywhere. I guess Spohn should post a file the exact dimensions of his jigs??? not trying to be a smartass but the r&d of any project has some worth. I know these will fit as good as the originals so that is alot of work off of everyones shoulders and it is considerably cheaper than the NOS that are in poor shape but up until now where the only option other than using something that would not look original.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Daz
Supreme Member

Spohn desgined new products with a lot of R & D.If you can sell them more power to you but this is not the best deal for people here.If I have time to trace it I will and post the dimension here.Paying $100 for $10 worth of material and an hour work (initial)is NOT a good deal. Like TPI383 said Its $55 and for an extra $10 they will even install it for you and the next time you come back for more the price will be $20
Old 07-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 T/A WS6 Vert/1956 Chevy Nomad
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 w/ Transgo Kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD

Why does everybody have a problem with it NOW? Nothing was said in the past 3-4 months it took him to get these ready. Jstoltz, great work. My paypal payment is on its way to you. Even if I could get it for $55 locally, it is well worth $50 to me to not have to deal with the hassle of getting everything set up and ready for production.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Daz
Supreme Member

Like I said to him..If he can sell them more power to him.But to worry about shipping and installing it would be equivalent to the difference in my book.Just an idea for other convertible owners.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

OK. To each his own. I'm looking forward to getting mine. And if they install like Jstoltz says they do, it should be easy.

And Daz ... are you aware of what your "home page" is in your public profile? Classy. Very classy. Now I know what kind of weirdo you are.

Do you even have a convertible? All your profile says you have is a "87 Camaro" with a "Chevy V8". LOL. And all this time I thought that Camaros had a "Ford V8". LOL.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Daz
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by gcgarner
OK. To each his own. I'm looking forward to getting mine. And if they install like Jstoltz says they do, it should be easy.

And Daz ... are you aware of what your "home page" is in your public profile? Classy. Very classy. Now I know what kind of weirdo you are.

Do you even have a convertible? All your profile says you have is a "87 Camaro" with a "Chevy V8". LOL. And all this time I thought that Camaros had a "Ford V8". LOL.
First of all, thank you for passing judgement on somebody who you dont have a clue about.That was a joke by the mods a long time ago that I have no control off.Second,If you pass judgement to a person because of what you see in a profile then youre an ignorant ***

Third, I have a convertible Name:  twocarssmall2.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  38.4 KBName:  car2006002s.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  83.6 KB(before you even have a sniff of this place)but when the profile was madeI had an IROC with a 468 BBC.Showing off on my profile doesnt really tickle my pubes.You couldved asked me on pm but you have to do it here.So there, happy?

fkin noob
Old 07-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

whoa hold on a minute this isn't the place to argue. you both have your own opinions. and Daz it definitely isn't as easy as tracing around it to get quality. I have to give props to my vinyl guy for going the distance with me on this project. Do you really think it would take 4 months to trace around it??? Unless you are going for somewhat sloppy results it involves going point by point and removing nodes to get the needed result. If you want to call me a noob too that is fine but my original tgo date is 98 so I guess I got a little on ya (my pc crashed and I got a different e-mail address so I just made a new account). I am not that worried about it though. Just like I said please respect me enough that if you really think you need to argue do it through pm's so this isn't a locked thread. Myself I would rather see you try to do the same thing I already did. Reproduce them and if you can get them done for $55 installed pass that on to the next guy then I would be impressed. arguing isn't going to impress me. I do value your opinion but I had to take the hit in the wallet to do this and gcgarner thanks for the good words.

Last edited by jstoltz; 07-04-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Daz
Supreme Member

the noob is not for you but yes Ive been here 98 or even before when it was still red and yellow.The point is the attitude of this noob who saw a few characters on my info and started yapping.

yeah its that easy maybe my sign guy is just amazing with the knife.I do respect your effort and tried to be careful with the wording but I just cant stand 30+ yr old brats.If you want to talk respect and talking it on pm then discuss it with gcgarner as he is the one that wanted to go on a tangent..

Good luck with the sale.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

like I said your input is appreciated and thanks for not arguing about this anymore. and there is a pic of the plotted draft on here just to show this is how you handle mass production if your vinyl guy thinks it would be worth his time to try and hand cut something of this size well he must not have enough other business. I sat down with my guy and devised a game plan on repeated accuracy which is what I demand before I would put my name on anything. The way I think business should be done. I hope that after a few of these are installed that the attention to detail that I stuck to is appreciated and also like I mentioned earlier the small seperate side pieces are included with mine the NOS sticker that I ordered didn't have them so that is a plus because those never had a seperate part number as far as I know so they couldn't even be located.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

OK ... you're right, Daz. Me being here two years or so makes me a noob, and thus gives you the right to pull out the "I've been here longer" card that is so often used on this forum. But in my defense, I wasn't on a "tangent", I was simply making some observations and commenting on them. I also refuse to consider myself a 30+ yr. old brat and actually take a little offense to that considering I have worked my butt off to get the car I have and am very proud of it. But, I digress.

Sorry for not knowing about your little joke with the mods, sorry for not knowing that you were the Grand Pumba of BBC Camaros, and sorry for not PM'ing you. You obviously have a great knowledge of this forum 'cause you have found every way possible to spell the "F" word without it getting censored and looking like ****. Please accept my apology. BTW nice convertible. The BB IROC doesn't "tickle my pubes" much, though.

Either way, I'm looking forward to getting my sticker. Thanks again Jstoltz. I never thought that your hard work on this would turn into a shouting match between a "noob" and a tgo veteran that demands respect and can't believe anybody would pass judgement based on a profile ... but what else do you have to go by?

Last edited by gcgarner; 07-05-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 AM

Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 305 H.O.
Transmission: 700R4

Jstoltz...thank you for taking the time to do this....its much apprecitated

At the end of the end of the day, if someone can find a cheaper, better way to do the work then go for it. I don't think Jstoltz is going to quit his day job because he is makeing thousands of dollars on this deal.

In life I have learned there are actions and there are words. Jstoltz took the time to do this, communicted his progress on this forum and completed the task....all I hear is a bunch of words about how it can be done cheaper, yet I have yet to see it for sale.

In truth, I have not seen anyone else offer up an different solution....although I have seen old GM stock for sale on Ebay for over $200.

Not trying to pick a fight, take sides, etc....I don't know anyone personnally on this site....I'm just happy someone took actions to fix a problem and is willing to share the solution with the rest of us.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Supreme Member

I only took offense to Daz's comments because I know what kind of work Jstoltz has put into this, and it kind of ripped me up that someone who hasn't followed his progress (or at least said anything along the way) suddenly chimed in and said things that made it look like all his work wasn't worth it. I know it will be. And then the "noob" and "brat" comments were dropped along with a couple of F-Bombs in my direction (by a TGO vet that is supposed to be a little more cool-headed based on experience, you would think) and ... anyway ... I'm done with this. I'll post pics when my paint job is done and my new sticker is on!!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Daz
Supreme Member

I just mentioned options for people here and if 30yr old brats take offense to it then so be it. This forum is for discussion to benefit ALL members and choices are always good people.

Dealing with sign shops years ago gives me an idea the cost of vinyl and labour associated with it.I simply shared my experience.

To the child that still dancing around, backpedalling and whining about something completely out of topic.Please, shut up.You try to be funny and a hero at the same time but it didnt work.You ended being a half-clown fool.I will stop once you stop addressing me.

Noobs like you make this sight unmanageable.

Jstoltz, again good luck with the sale and thanks to your efforts
Old 07-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Supreme Member

hate it or love it it is now time to get back on topic. I will post up a pic with one installed on my project tonneau cover in the morning, well sometime tomorrow anyway. the tonneau is from an 87. I left the original adhesive line on there and just sprayed it with a semi gloss black so the decal will show up. I left the adhesive line on there to show how much difference there is. the NOS and mine are both based off of 89-92 decals the 87 88 decals were wider but all the NOS are 89 and up. I am going to try, and I really emphasize try and have another file made for the 87 and 88 stickers but it won't be in the near future unless it turns out to be easy but there are virtually no points the same other than the inside radius. It took me all of 5 minutes to put the sticker on so it isn't pretty (I am no body man) but it is just to show the accuracy. They aren't really hard to put on but I had the line from the previous sticker too, so unless you are confident in your abilities I recommend these to be installed by your painter. It is entirely up to you just take your time but pretty much any paint shop shouldn't charge any more than $20 to install it and make sure it is perfect.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Supreme Member

Like I said, Daz, I'm done with this. Be careful what you say before you run off anyone who has a new-found interest in third-gens. This site was not just created for people who have been here since the beginning. If you have anything else to say, PM ... or even call me at (828) 443-2701 and we'll talk about it. No more talk about it in this thread, though.

So you think I should have my painter install, jstoltz? I think I might be a little more particular with it than he is, but he might have some more experience with it. Do you still wet it like a model car decal so it has some workability? Can't wait to see pics.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

honestly like I said it isn't hard but you do have to be careful. They install just like window tint. mix a couple teaspoons of dish liquid with warm water (or just get the spray for window film) and I just peel the sticker away from the backing paper at the center notch enough to cut the backing paper. That way the backing paper is two pieces because you do need to start in the centermake sure it is wet but it doesn't have to be soaked just wet. and lay the sticker even with the latch plate on the tonneau and just follow it down make sure it is wet though because the adhesive is strong. I took these pics while the water was under the decal still so it would show up. The vinyl is crystal clear.

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE-356821578208_0_alb.jpg   Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE-439531578208_0_alb.jpg   Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE-607031578208_0_alb.jpg  
Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

sorry for the crappy paint on the tonneau cover but that is the one I have been testing the fit on so it has been painted a couple time to cover up scribe marks from the cad process of this.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

anyone else interested?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:05 PM

Engine: 305 H.O.

Yep, check your PayPal account....I just sent you a payment. Look forward to getting it!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

ttt anyone else need one? I talked with a local place about redoing the header trim pieces yesterday and he is supposed to get back with me next week so keep your fingers crossed on those
Old 07-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Got my sticker today! Didn't expect it to come in such a little box ... pretty wild how it all fit in there. The material looks nice. I am really nervous about putting it on. Of course I have a couple of weeks to build up my confidence while my paint is going on. Hopefully someone else will have tried putting this on by then. Good work Jstoltz!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks
yeah I made sure it stayed in there without creasing before I taped it up but that was the same size box as MDM sent my NOS one in. I will be using the priority tubes as soon as they come in. My local post office was out and they were on back order should be here in a couple days. I am still trying to get some of the things refined somewhat but yeah the one you got will definitely look acceptable. I want the side pieces to look better though. When I installed the one on the test tonneau for the first time it wasn't too bad as I said just make sure you use soapy water in a spray bottle and make sure it is pretty wet, not too wet because you will have alot more air bubble to worry about but even if you do get air under it just take a paper towel (I usually use the blue Scott's disposable shop towels) and fold it around a credit card or driver's license or you can buy a small silicone blade for window tint for a couple dollars at Wal Mart. start at the center and squeeze the water to the outsides. It's not bad.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

I know this sounds crazy, but I am actually thinking of putting my paint job on hold. I was looking at the car today and thought that it actually looked pretty good. Haven't made up my mind 100%. So it might be a while before the sticker goes on. But at least I have it when it's ready!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Car: 1991 RS Vert
Engine: LO3, 305, TBI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I took a few pictures to show the process.

Note that I was doing this on an existing paint job. It would be much easier if you had pulled the black tonneau cover piece first (as part of a good paint job).

This was a pretty easy job and I'm happy with the results.

My vert has been garage kept since new (1991). The top has very rarely been down, so if anything the seals have been rubbing on it much longer than a lot of verts.

Here's what my strip looked like:

Here's close up of the edge of the current strip with some nice nasty stuff:

I just started peeling it off carefully and made sure to get it all underneath the black piece:

Here's a nice shot of nastiness:

I used some "Goof-Off" to get all the remaining stickage removed. I made sure to wash with some soapy water to make sure I didn't damage the paint.

I was a little worried about this part, but I didn't have any problems.

CONTINUED:

Last edited by Trick414; 01-11-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM

All adhesive gone and washed down several times:

Looking good, ready to go:

I used some soapy water and laid it down. It moves around easy enough, so we got it close pretty easily.

This shot is still a bit wet, and you can just barely see the strip:

The only "problem" we had was the driver's side "corner". In retrospect, we spent too much time trying to get the strip underneath the black piece.

It would go some, but not all the way. Finally, I used an exacto and cut it underneath the black piece as best I could.

As it turns out, it was perfectly acceptable and we should have done it sooner.

PRO TIP: The black piece has its own glue under there and it isn't perfect. Feel free to cut the vinyl strip so you don't fight it.

Here's a near final, dry shot. Up VERY close you can see some very minor imperfections.

But even from a foot or two away it looks near perfect:

Again, overall it was a pretty easy job and the piece fit about as perfect as can be expected.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

thanks for the good word glad it fit OK
Old 03-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 iroc drop top
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700 r4

hi
are you still maiking these?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

yes I am. I am trying to get an auto shifter mod made for us too but not an easy task around here finding someplace that wants to do that much maching I guess.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto O/D

Are you still making these?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Interested as well
Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 AM

Car: 1991 Z28, 1983 Z28, 1984 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 4.10

I am also looking for the vinyl wear protectors.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

You can still get NOS GM ones--they're pretty pricey, but well worth it imo. They go for $250-$300.

Last edited by 1992 Trans Am; 08-10-2015 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:22 AM

I actually have about 10 nos gm ones available, if anyone should want one..
Old 08-11-2015, 09:12 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS TTop,91 Camaro RS vert
Engine: 305 TBI V8

What are you asking for 1?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:32 PM

PM'd you just now, little8camarors!
Old 02-24-2016, 04:12 PM
Want a title? Post!

Do you have these clear protectors available for my 1992 Camaro?
baplater@aol.com
Old 04-05-2016, 01:28 PM

I have a few NOS GM clear convertible top tonneau cover protectors available for sale. They are the real deal GM part, GM P/N 12520107, exactly like our originals. As you all know, GM discontinued these years ago. They are not cheap, and only for people who care about the detail of their cars and know the value and quality of installing only GM parts onto their 3rd gen convert! If you want to purchase one, send me an IM or text me (Shawn) at 310-279-6974. I am selling these on a first come, first served basis, so do not miss out!
Old 04-05-2016, 01:29 PM

Yes I do. I have sold a few and now only have a few left, so let me know if you want one and I'll put it aside for you.

Originally Posted by baplater
Do you have these clear protectors available for my 1992 Camaro?
baplater@aol.com
Old 05-28-2016, 05:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

Just listening, bought a 1989 IROC Vert (Project) yesterday.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:55 PM

I have one nos one of these left. $215 shipped. Call or text Shawn at 310-279-6974

Old 03-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

BUMP. What is the latest on vinyl for the Tonneau cover? Personally, I am concerned NOS vinyl might be dried out, from 30 years of storage.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

I'd be interested in purchasing, too if you're still making them??

Last edited by dagwood; 03-30-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:39 AM
Supreme Member

Crap he hasnt logged on since 2011....
Old 03-30-2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by dagwood
Crap he hasnt logged on since 2011....

I noticed that as well when I got a notification for this thread earlier.

It's too bad, since I've been happy with the cover.

My earlier pictures from 2009 have disappeared, but I took another crappy pic this morning.

Hard to tell in the poor lighting, but the vinyl is still perfect. Of course, I keep it in the garage. After ten years it looks brand new.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Trick414
I noticed that as well when I got a notification for this thread earlier.

It's too bad, since I've been happy with the cover.

My earlier pictures from 2009 have disappeared, but I took another crappy pic this morning.

Hard to tell in the poor lighting, but the vinyl is still perfect. Of course, I keep it in the garage. After ten years it looks brand new.

I'll try to send him an email. Thanks for the update! Looks like it was quality vinyl!

Quick Reply: Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE