Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Installation of new trunk lock cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Installation of new trunk lock cylinder?

How do I go about replacing the lock cylinder on my 91 Trans Am convertible tirunk? Mine is not the pull down type. My car I guess you would call it would be old style with a key to open the trunk. Thanks for helping me before I destroy a tail light.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45
Re: Installation of new trunk lock cylinder?

Hopefully, you haven't destroyed a taillight yet. Those '91/'92 taillights are virtually irreplaceable.

On your car, being a Firebird, the lock is held in place by pop rivets, unlike a Camaro, where the lock is held in place by a clip(like the door locks are). So you'll need to drill-out the pop rivets, using a 1/4" drill bit. But to get to the pop rivets, you'll need to remove the taillights(as I think you already know). To get to the plastic wingnuts that hold the taillights in, you'll need to remove the rear interior trim panel. And to remove the trim panel, you'll need to get the trunk lid open, because, besides the large plastic screws that hold the trim panel on from inside the car, it's also screwed down on top by the latch mechanism, which you can't access if the trunk lid is closed.

Assuming you have no key, or the lock is broken, and the lid is closed, then to get the lid open, you'll have to work from inside the car to reach/pull the release cable by hand, and it's behind the rear interior trim panel. So it will be a very tight workspace. Having someone outside the car to raise the lid when you pop it open will help too. So...

With the convertible top up, fold down the rear seatbacks, and climb inside.

Reach back to the rear interior trim panel and remove the large plastic screws that hold the panel in place.

From the passenger-side edge of the rear trim panel, grab it and pull it back until you can reach the release cable. You might have to curl it back as much as 180*. But no worries, the panel won't break, and it will pop right back into shape when you let it go.

Pull the release cable until the trunk lid 'pops' open. It might take multiple attempts of pulling from various angles to get it to pop, but it will. This is where the friend comes in handy... because if the struts are weak that hold the lid open, the heavy trunk lid might settle back down into the closed/locked position before you can get it to stay open.

Of course, if you already have the trunk lid open, then you can disregard those first few steps...

Once the lid is open, remove the interior trim panel completely. Remove the plastic wingnuts that hold the taillights in place, and lower the taillights.

Now you'll be able to get to the pop rivets. Drill them out(from outside).

Once you get the lock out, remove the cable from the back of it by prying open(and off) the white plastic end that 'snaps' it onto the back of the lock. The plastic will probably break when you try to pry it apart to separate it from the lock, but the cable will still stay on the new lock when you slide it on.

Installation of the new lock will be the reverse of removal. But if you can't rivet the new lock in, then you'll probably have to bolt it in. So just choose a bolt that has some kind of 'security' head... something that takes more than just a simple hex wrench or socket to remove it.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-11-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Supreme Member

LAFireboyd: Thank you so much for the great detail that you gave me. I have not yet tried to change the cylinder until I had enough details. Now that I have, I will go for it. I have taken the lights from a Camaro so I dont feel that I will have a problem. It is just that I did not want to wreck the lights. The lock in my trunk will work if I constantly turn the key but I know soon that it will give out. I do have the replacement lock ready to attemt the changeover. Thanks again for the great description of the process.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 camaro rs
Engine: 409 sbc
Transmission: th350

i know this is kind of off subject but i just bought an 88 firebird and dont have the key to the door and hatch so im going to take a lock and have one made is the key to the back compartment the same one as the doors and hatch -
Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Originally Posted by estesformula87
i know this is kind of off subject but i just bought an 88 firebird and dont have the key to the door and hatch so im going to take a lock and have one made is the key to the back compartment the same one as the doors and hatch -
Yes, the same key fits the doors, hatch and rear locking storage compartment.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:19 AM

Car: 90 camaro rs
Engine: 409 sbc
Transmission: th350

thanks lafireboyd
Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

I would like to thank LAFireboyd for the great explanation on how to change the lock cylinder on my trunk. It worked exactly as he said and was extremely easy. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd
Hopefully, you haven't destroyed a taillight yet. Those '91/'92 taillights are virtually irreplaceable.

On your car, being a Firebird, the lock is held in place by pop rivets, unlike a Camaro, where the lock is held in place by a clip(like the door locks are). So you'll need to drill-out the pop rivets, using a 1/4" drill bit. But to get to the pop rivets, you'll need to remove the taillights(as I think you already know). To get to the plastic wingnuts that hold the taillights in, you'll need to remove the rear interior trim panel. And to remove the trim panel, you'll need to get the trunk lid open, because, besides the large plastic screws that hold the trim panel on from inside the car, it's also screwed down on top by the latch mechanism, which you can't access if the trunk lid is closed.

Assuming you have no key, or the lock is broken, and the lid is closed, then to get the lid open, you'll have to work from inside the car to reach/pull the release cable by hand, and it's behind the rear interior trim panel. So it will be a very tight workspace. Having someone outside the car to raise the lid when you pop it open will help too. So...

With the convertible top up, fold down the rear seatbacks, and climb inside.

Reach back to the rear interior trim panel and remove the large plastic screws that hold the panel in place.

From the passenger-side edge of the rear trim panel, grab it and pull it back until you can reach the release cable. You might have to curl it back as much as 180*. But no worries, the panel won't break, and it will pop right back into shape when you let it go.

Pull the release cable until the trunk lid 'pops' open. It might take multiple attempts of pulling from various angles to get it to pop, but it will. This is where the friend comes in handy... because if the struts are weak that hold the lid open, the heavy trunk lid might settle back down into the closed/locked position before you can get it to stay open.

Of course, if you already have the trunk lid open, then you can disregard those first few steps...

Once the lid is open, remove the interior trim panel completely. Remove the plastic wingnuts that hold the taillights in place, and lower the taillights.

Now you'll be able to get to the pop rivets. Drill them out(from outside).

Once you get the lock out, remove the cable from the back of it by prying open(and off) the white plastic end that 'snaps' it onto the back of the lock. The plastic will probably break when you try to pry it apart to separate it from the lock, but the cable will still stay on the new lock when you slide it on.

Installation of the new lock will be the reverse of removal. But if you can't rivet the new lock in, then you'll probably have to bolt it in. So just choose a bolt that has some kind of 'security' head... something that takes more than just a simple hex wrench or socket to remove it.
Will this also work on the 98 Firebird and if so here is MY problem. The lock is already broken away fro the rivets. the lock works but it is loose in the housing. I have ordered a new lock today. there are 3 panels in the rear light section. I have found the wing nuts for the lights but how do I get the center section out that contains the lock? Also how do I get the lock off the rod that goes to the latch system?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R4

do they have different tail lights for 91-92? i have an 87 and im trying to do same thing but i know my tail lights are in 3 sections and cant figure out how to get center part out. or does this still apply to my situation?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

Originally Posted by mustangIIfan
do they have different tail lights for 91-92? i have an 87 and im trying to do same thing but i know my tail lights are in 3 sections and cant figure out how to get center part out. or does this still apply to my situation?
The center section is attached behind the tail lights.Once you get the tails off you will see the mounts
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM

ya figured it out but thanks for responding
Old 03-17-2015, 03:55 PM

How do i get that white plastic piece off of the lock cylinder. Do i pry it of or does it come off a certain way??? Please and thank you guys for the help
Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

I use a flat blade screwdriver and pry it off the lock cylinder
Old 03-17-2015, 05:11 PM

Thanks alot. Do that break the white piece?. I have a t top donor car im using to restore my convertible iroc.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

If you pry the off-white piece carefully it should not break. Pry one side a bit, then work on the opposite side. You are prying a molded tab on the ID of the off-white plastic piece free from a groove in the OD of the lock cylinder. There are 4 molded tabs that need to be released. Usually once you have one side out of the groove the other side will come off pretty easily. I work on the side opposite the cable that comes out of it first, then the side with the cable. Once you have the side opposite of the cable free you can grab hold of the cable and pull it away from the lock cylinder as you pry the tabs free. Be gentle and have patience.

Lon
Old 12-01-2022, 02:11 PM

Car: 92 WS6 Trans am convertible
Engine: ls 6.2
Transmission: 4l80
Axle/Gears: 2.73's

Originally Posted by yankeecarman
I would like to thank LAFireboyd for the great explanation on how to change the lock cylinder on my trunk. It worked exactly as he said and was extremely easy. Thanks for all the help.
Are lock cylinder on the trunk for convertibles the same as the coupes.

thanks
Old 12-01-2022, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Yes.