Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Fixed my tonneu release switch issue - very simple fix, try this

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 convertible built 3/1/1990
Engine: Cammed 6.0L LSX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: custom Ford 8.8", 4.10 gears
Fixed my tonneu release switch issue - very simple fix, try this

I hadn't had a functioning tonneu release switch in probably a year or two and I never really looked into it much other than buying a new switch from another member to put in the center console and try. That didn't fix it, so I opened the trunk to look for the safety switch.

My original thoughts were that this was going to be a pain in the butt because I had removed my trunk when I modified my high rise spoiler, and I feared that when I fiberglassed the spoiler, I made it to where the trunk didn't shut as neatly as it used to, causing the trip switch to go off and not let the tonneu release work (tonneu won't open via the switch if the trunk isn't closed).

Well when I took out the interior panel tonight I found this plastic little switch that looks similar to what you find on your brake pedal for the brake lights, it's spring loaded. I found that it wasn't secured 100% in the mounting hole, it was crooked just a hair and I think that caused it not to push in when the trunk pull down motor was at the bottom of its travel.

You can see the plastic spring loaded switch at the center of the photo. If nothing else, try fiddling with this thing to see if it's crooked or not secured, that may be the (simple) solution to your tonneu cover switch not functioning.

Now my problem is the solenoids are weak. I'm not sure if you can just lube them up like the door locks, or if it's an issue with the spring on the tonneu cover making the cover seem "heavier" (like having bad hood struts). What do you guys suggest here? I have to assist the cover when I use the release switch now, it doesn't just pop up on its own.

Name:  20120615_212831.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  354.1 KB
Old 06-16-2012, 11:06 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Re: Fixed my tonneu release switch issue - very simple fix, try this

Yep, that is it. I have a few. I need to add the bracket and switch to my web site. I've been trying to find a source for them new, but haven't had any luck yet.

Lon
Old 06-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto

Thanks for that information. My tonneau hasn't worked off the switch since I got it and I've just use the manual releases. I didn't realize it had a safety on it. I will check this out when I get home. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 90 IROC 2-92 Zs blk vert & prpl
Engine: stealth ram brodix track 1 ful port
Transmission: 700r4 4l80e
Axle/Gears: iroc 375 lokr 92 Z 277 pos vert 327

Bluezee28 does your trunk suck down? (electric) if so, how did you do it? I would like that if it releases your lid. My goal is to hit a button and the trunk turn lose instead of having to use the key. Mine is a 92 so bluezee28 or lonsal let me know how to rig an electric release or a suck down so it will ultimately release from a switch from inside.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 convertible built 3/1/1990
Engine: Cammed 6.0L LSX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: custom Ford 8.8", 4.10 gears

None of the verts had a trunk release switch. mine has the trunk pull down motor but you have to use the key. I thought about someday sourcing out a 92 tonneu cover and moving the release switch to it and then somehow wiring up a trunk release swith in the hole in the center console that would be vacant.Im not sure if its possible but I would give it a try. Even if I could accomplish this, the trunk is too heavy to actually lift up on its own though so Id have to assist it. It would just get rid of the need for using a key.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Late 91-92 coupes had a pull-down motor, but it was a different style than has been the topic of discussion so far. Your convertible has a slam-latch for the trunk. You can add thee motorized pull-down for a late 91-92 coupe. It includes a trunk release, though it is different than the optional solenoid release used on the 86-early 91 style pull-down motor. The trunk release on the late 91-92 functions as this: pressing a switch on the center console of a Camaro or on the dash of a Firebird. Power goes thru a relay, then back to the trunk pull-down unit to start the UP cycle. As the motor powers the latch up, a lever on the back side of the latch makes contact with a small black plastic ramp that is attached to the frame of the pull-down assy. As the lever contacts that ramp it rotates and unlatches the latch. At that point the hatch hook is shoved out of the latch by a spring just in front of the latch. You'll need a pull-down unit, wiring, switch & relay from a late 91-92 coupe. You can put the switch in the center console where the coupes have it since your tonneau release switch was relocated to the drivers-side of the tonneau on your year of 'vert. I'd also recommend getting a 1992 Camaro Service Manual (not a Hanes or Chilton). It is about 3" thick and weighs 7 lbs. The manual is available new online at www.helminc.com or used on ebay. The manual will have the wiring schamatic to help you run the new wiring for the pull-down unit.

Those of you with the earlier syle 1986-early 91 can aso add a hatch (trunk) release by swapping the solenoid release for your manual release and adding the wiring, relay & switch. I added one to my 90 'vert and used a tunk release switch from a earrly 90's Caprice which was found in the glove box.

Lon Salgren
Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 90 IROC 2-92 Zs blk vert & prpl
Engine: stealth ram brodix track 1 ful port
Transmission: 700r4 4l80e
Axle/Gears: iroc 375 lokr 92 Z 277 pos vert 327

I have a 92 trans am GM book that I use for my 92 Z. Will a late 91-92 style pulldown bolt to my structure? It looks a little skimpy like it was changed just for the slam piece. If it is the same as all the 92s then it will obviously work and I will just have to find a 91-92 style pull down. Does my car still have the relay somewhere? Is the 91-92 style pull down a better design than the one on my 89? Can I add one of the regular relays I use for adding new fans instead of the factory one? I have an empty hole in the center spot of my console since I added the console clock console top and it has three holes so a third switch will be easy.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro R/S
Engine: Stock 305
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: Stock

Bluezee28.

Can you post another pic of your pull down motor showing what the wires back there are connected to. I need to see all the connector and wire colors to see where they go.