Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Convert Tonneau release switch to trunk solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Borg Warner T5
Axle/Gears: Yet to be determined
Convert Tonneau release switch to trunk solenoid

I've been following the following threads:
Trying to get Tonneau cover release to work! & 91 convertible - trunk power latch and tonneau cover switch doesnt work.
I've replied, but haven't gotten any answers. I'm assuming, since they're both older threads, I need to start a new one.
89 IROC conv. Swapped from auto to a T-5. Now the tonneau switch doesn't work. I can see in the wiring diagram that it was wired through the auto shifter and would only work in park. I want to rewire the tonneau switch to open the trunk. I bought a trunk release solenoid from Top Down Solutions. I figured I would just extend the tonneau wiring to the trunk solenoid. However, I have no power to the tonneau solenoids.
I previously had a 92, 25th Ann with T-tops (Lost it due to an engine fire). As we know, in that car, the switch operated the hatch solenoid. To change that to opening a tonneau cover for a manual top is another example of idiot GM engineering. IMO - it's redundant to have a switch to electrically open a tonneau to a manual top.
The previous owner had a Viper alarm installed and whoever did it severely hacked the console wiring. I'm not intimidated by wiring. I take it as a challenge. I rebuilt the complete under dash wiring harness for my 66 GTO from several donor harness.
I am aware that the tonneau solenoid is wired through the white switch on the hatch pull down, but I still have no power when this switch is closed.
I've spent several days on this and need suggestions. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I would like to get back on the road while it's still summer here in PA.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird 'vert, 91 Formula
Engine: 5.7, 5.0
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: Auburn w/ 3.73's, 3.42
Re: Convert Tonneau release switch to trunk solenoid

Glad you posted this! I just did a T56 swap in my '91 firebird last weekend and wrapped up the wiring Wednesday. Prior to doing the wiring, the tonneau release still worked b/c I put the top down Wednesday morning before working on it. I noticed last night that the release wasn't working. This safety feature of only working when in park is nice (esp w/ 3.5 & 5.5 year olds who like to go for rides w/ the top down), however, didn't dawn on me that it could be the problem. I don't have the trunk release so assuming I just need to get it open, locate the solenoid, and give it a new power supply? Additional info welcomed!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 Vert

I just finished this a few months ago on my 92 , same thing but I had pwr after the swap but had to make a new ground (bypass the PRND ground switch that use to work from the auto) All I did was ground the wire on the switch itself so when you hit the release it completes the ground. HTH one of you
Old 07-26-2014, 12:01 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Originally Posted by 86gn
I just finished this a few months ago on my 92 , same thing but I had pwr after the swap but had to make a new ground (bypass the PRND ground switch that use to work from the auto) All I did was ground the wire on the switch itself so when you hit the release it completes the ground. HTH one of you
The ground wire (tan/white) that was previously attached to the neutral safety switch of your automatic should now be routed to the parking brake ground. The tonneau should release with the engine off. If the engine is on you will need to engage the parking brake to establish a ground for the tonneau release relay for the tonneau to pop.

Invest in a Camaro or Firebird Service manual for your year and the answer would be shown on the circuit diagram on page 8A-134-0. The manual may be purchased new on helminc.com or used on eBay.

Lon
Old 07-27-2014, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 Vert

Originally Posted by lonsal
The ground wire (tan/white) that was previously attached to the neutral safety switch of your automatic should now be routed to the parking brake ground. The tonneau should release with the engine off. If the engine is on you will need to engage the parking brake to establish a ground for the tonneau release relay for the tonneau to pop.

Invest in a Camaro or Firebird Service manual for your year and the answer would be shown on the circuit diagram on page 8A-134-0. The manual may be purchased new on helminc.com or used on eBay.

Lon
Thanks good plan to put it with the parking brake.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 PM

For anyone who's interested, I finished converting the tonneau switch to the opening the trunk/deck lid last week. After following all the threads, I realized two things: 1) I needed a solenoid for the trunk pull down (got that used from Top Down Solutions) and 2) I need to jump the limit switch on the pull down (Actually I removed the switch. It has nothing to do with the operation of the pull down. It's only function was to complete the tonneau release circuit when the deck lid was closed.) and reroute it to the trunk solenoid. I also needed a spring (Also available from TDS, but very easy to fabricate, so I made my own.) so the deck lid would clear the pull down. I followed all of the solenoid wiring & removed it. I also removed the solenoids. I also used several wire ties on the cables from the tonneau release to keep them in place. Took a couple days & some lube, but the used solenoid works great and now I can 'pop the trunk'. IMO - makes a lot more sense than opening the tonneau to a manual top.
I don't have this in my signature, but this is my second 3rd gen F-body (92, 25th Ann Z-28, T-tops, 5.0, 5 spd) & also had a '77 1/2 Z-28, 350, 4-spd. Currently have the '89 IROC rag top, a '66 GTO (my third GTO), 389, 4-spd, & an '08 Harley Sportster Custom (my 2nd Harley). I have owned more muscle cars than there would be room to list.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird 'vert, 91 Formula
Engine: 5.7, 5.0
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: Auburn w/ 3.73's, 3.42

Originally Posted by lonsal
My scenario is a little different from others it seems. I have the tan w/ white stripe wire grounded to the parking brake but it has no bearing on operation of the tonneau cover. My issue is my tonneau switch now only works if I have the clutch pedal pushed in bc the neutral safety switch is now wired to the clutch safety switch.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM

Car: 92 Camaro Convertable/ 68 Camaro SS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 86 TransAM posi rear. 342 gears

I have a 92 RS Vert I think I have tracked my problem to a factory type connection under the center console ....my car was at a body shop for some time. I think someone took a relay out. Does anybody know the relay for the hatch release is there. If so -got a part #
Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 GTA/90 Iroc Vert
Engine: 5.7/5.0L
Transmission: 700R4 x 2
Axle/Gears: 3.27/2.73

I fixed my tonneau switch issue ... thought it was under the console, turns out there is a white nylon plunger switch in the trunk latch that senses if trunk lids is open or closed. Switch must be depressed for console button to work.

Easy fix.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Agreed. For those that are not familiar with the switch here is a link to it on my web site:

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/hat...product_id=216

If the guides in the track are bad, the plunger might not be pressed as it should to indicate the trunk is closed.

Lon Salgren
Old 09-16-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jersey89GTA
I fixed my tonneau switch issue ... thought it was under the console, turns out there is a white nylon plunger switch in the trunk latch that senses if trunk lids is open or closed. Switch must be depressed for console button to work.

Easy fix.
Thanks. I changed mine 2 yrs ago. Did a lot of wire tracing & testing which was a waste of time. The 'Plunger' is a limiter switch. If it's open, you can't open the tonneau because the trunk/deck lid & tonneau cannot be open at the same time. I simply 'jumped' the switch so it would be bypassed & got a Camaro trunk solenoid on ebay. I also add a spring from and old 'D' battery flashlight so it would clear the pull down motor. The relay in the console, attached to the emergency/parking break mount is wired directly to the limiter switch. It only goes to the tonneau if the limiter switch is closed. I yanked all the wiring for the tonneau so that couldn't happen.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:44 AM

Car: 1988 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 350
Transmission: Standard
Axle/Gears: 4.10

I'm a little confused. I just bought my vert and the previous owner completely removed the motor to the taneau. If I want to have the switch open the trunk could I buy the hatch pull down assembly and connect the switch to it? Will it fit on the vert model?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

So I replaced my tonneau switch with a window switch and wired it up. Push "up" (forward) tonneau pops, push "down" (back), trunk pops.

To add the trunk release, I bought a typical GM rear hatch release solenoid setup and it went right in in place of the manual release setup. Ran a chassis ground jumper (the pull down sliding mechanism is not connected to the chassis ground) and then a positive 12V switched source to fire the release solenoid.

Works like a charm. As as bonus, my car came with a standard aftermarket alarm with typical "four button" remote- arm, disarm, aux 1, aux 2. I wired up the two aux channel outputs so now my remotes can pop the tonneau or the trunk. Pretty slick. You do need to use interposing relays between the alarm outputs (triggered grounds) and the top pop signals.

The interposing relays are standard $6 auto parts store relays. The existing tonneau relay is near the window switches in the center console. It uses a negative trigger to shoot a 12V pulse to the release solenoid. You also need to make sure your tonneau solenoids are well grounded. (They ground through their mounting screws to the car chassis.)

Last edited by Tootie Pang; 10-03-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 AM

Josh,
After a week of checking the wiring, I found that getting the center switch to open the trunk/deck lid is pretty simple. You should already have a pull-down motor. If not, check ebay & other used parts sources. The relay for the switch is in the console, attached to the parking brake bracket, but you don't have to do anything with it; for info only. There is a button, enclosure on the pull down motor. When the deck lid is closed, it cuts the current to the pull down as the tonneau cover & the deck lid cannot be open at the same time. I disconnected the wires from the tonneau solenoids to prevent the switch from activating them. As I said, the rest is relative simple. You will need a trunk release solenoid. I got one on ebay for $30. Bypass/connect the limit switch to the solenoid & you got it. The solenoid should come with a cable that controls the release. I also added a spring from an old D cell flashlight to help the deck lid clear the pull down motor. (This is a concern because the deck lid is so heavy)
Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 350
Transmission: Standard
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Thanks for the info. I have the parts on the way. I love the dual switch idea!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI

I've got a 1991 Z28 convertible and the tonneau cover switch has suddenly stopped working. I sprayed some CRC Lectra-motive cleaner into the switch to make sure the contacts were clean. I looked for the interlock in the truck latch (my trunk does NOT have the pull down motor) but can't find the switch - which I was really hoping to find seeing that it's considered a most-likely culprit. I've been using the manual override wire pulls, but that's not a great long-term solution. Any ideas? Where is the solenoid located? My switch is an original so I'm worried it could be shot - it's located on the driver's side (not on the dash).
Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 AM
Supreme Member

First try pushing up and down on the tonneau as you press the release switch repeatedly. Sometimes they just get stuck or weak.

Ground the wire from the release switch to the release solenoids relay by the window switches and see if that pops it. If not, check to see that the release solenoids relay have 12V sitting on one side of the relay contacts. Once the relay fires, the 12V proceeds through it to the solenoids.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Updated the diagram so that it is more clear.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:50 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI

Thanks Tootie Pang. I've always done the push down / pop up thing - but I can always hear the latch release and it's dead now (no noise, no click). I'll poke around w/ the wiring. Where is the solenoid located for the tonneau switch? Are you saying they're in the center console near the window switches?
Old 10-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Supreme Member

No the solenoids are behind the rear side panels in the rear seat area. The existing tonneau relay is under the window switches under the center console. One per side.