Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

What is this Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: IROC and 65 Mustang
Engine: IROC V-8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: posi traction
What is this Switch?

Hoping someone can help identify what this switch is??? I replaced the hatch pulldown today on my 88 Iroc Z Convertible and found this 'hanging' next to the pulldown and it was not attached to anything. After installing the replacement pulldown and hooking the battery back up I found the pulldown worked just fine and pushed he button on the mystery switch and it did nothing. Hoping th efine folks here can give me some insight.
Attached Thumbnails What is this Switch?-imag1247.jpg   What is this Switch?-imag1245-2.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Re: What is this Switch?

Originally Posted by fivestar
Hoping someone can help identify what this switch is??? I replaced the hatch pulldown today on my 88 Iroc Z Convertible and found this 'hanging' next to the pulldown and it was not attached to anything. After installing the replacement pulldown and hooking the battery back up I found the pulldown worked just fine and pushed he button on the mystery switch and it did nothing. Hoping th efine folks here can give me some insight.
The angle bracket attaches to the lower two of three screws that attach the motor housing to the frame. This will place the plunger of the switch at the bottom of the right trtack so it can sense when the pull-down unit has reached the bottom of it's stroke (and allow the tonneau to open).

Lon
Old 07-26-2014, 12:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

That picture was weird for me looks just like behind the panel in my car including the body and trim colors, where I have been working. Just converted mine to full manual.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 AM

The switch and bracket were just hanging down when I removed the back panel... When I took the pic I just placed the switch where it could be seen the best. It does seem that it should be attached to the pulldown bracket???

Fivestar
Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by lonsal
The angle bracket attaches to the lower two of three screws that attach the motor housing to the frame. This will place the plunger of the switch at the bottom of the right trtack so it can sense when the pull-down unit has reached the bottom of it's stroke (and allow the tonneau to open).

Lon
Thanks Lon,
I will remove the replacement pulldown that I installed yesterday and attach this switch to the motor housing as you indicated. The old motor clear pastic housing was broken and not even attached any longer to the brace and even the screws were not anywhere to be found! My tonneau cover switch never has worked in the ten years I owned this Iroc so perhaps by attaching this switch it will release.... woooohooo! Thanks for your expertise!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

I had the same issue.When I got my vert 7 years ago the pulldown was broken.I replaced it with another unit and it worked fine but I had no clue about the plunger switch since they are vert specific and I threw away the broken pulldown assembly.Through the years Ive parted several junkyard verts and grabbed a few plunger switches and just this past year I finally put it on and lo and behold now my solenoids finally power up.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by fivestar
Thanks Lon,
I will remove the replacement pulldown that I installed yesterday and attach this switch to the motor housing as you indicated. The old motor clear pastic housing was broken and not even attached any longer to the brace and even the screws were not anywhere to be found! My tonneau cover switch never has worked in the ten years I owned this Iroc so perhaps by attaching this switch it will release.... woooohooo! Thanks for your expertise!
Yahoo!! I attached the plunger switch to the motor housing this morning without problems and lo and behold the tonneau release switch now works after nearly ten years of not knowing why it did not work (I would always manually release the tonneau). My replacement pulldown works great and now just waiting for replacement nylon guides from Lon at Top Down Solutions and I am good to go! Thanks for the help!

Fivestar: