Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Trunk lid and fender height mismatch

Old 07-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Trunk lid and fender height mismatch

I have a 91 Z/28 convertible and am going to take on the project of refinishing the trunk lid and top of the rear quarter panels where the three piece spoiler was residing. I am interested in using the "whale tail" three piece spoiler from hawks or one of the high rise spoilers from a 91/92 without reusing the sides of the original three piece spoiler.

When the spoiler was on the trunk lid and rear fenders appear to line up fairly well. When I removed the spoiler there was an obvious mismatch of heights between the fender and trunk lid. Even with the weather stripping, latching mechanism and rubber bumper/stoppers removed the trunk lid sits ~1/4" higher than the fenders. Are all the convertibles like this? Did the company just use this long three piece spoiler to cover up for their poor craftsmanship or am I missing some easy adjustment only convertible guys know about? I haven't dealt with any convertibles before so I don't know what is and isn't normal.

I know the fix will be easy, just time consuming as I will have to weld on and slightly form some metal on top of the fenders.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
Re: Trunk lid and fender height mismatch

The problem is with the caps on the quarter panels. They increase the height. They do cover this height difference up with the spoiler where it meets the caps on the sides. Ultimately It has to do with how the car was constructed, they (ASC) cut the top off of a hard top, in doing so, rather than making new quarter panels (basically redesigning the entire car) they put caps on the top of the panels to cover the cuts. The caps are made from Fiberglass, and therefore stick up on the sides.

So the trunk lid does not come flush with the caps themselves AFAIK...

I own a Firebird, not a Camaro, and there might be some slight differences.

Make sense?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: Trunk lid and fender height mismatch

Originally Posted by okfoz
The problem is with the caps on the quarter panels. They increase the height. They do cover this height difference up with the spoiler where it meets the caps on the sides. Ultimately It has to do with how the car was constructed, they (ASC) cut the top off of a hard top, in doing so, rather than making new quarter panels (basically redesigning the entire car) they put caps on the top of the panels to cover the cuts. The caps are made from Fiberglass, and therefore stick up on the sides.

So the trunk lid does not come flush with the caps themselves AFAIK...

I own a Firebird, not a Camaro, and there might be some slight differences.

Make sense?
Yeah, I was fairly sure it was a mismatch that they covered up. If they had it correct their probably wouldn't have been a three piece spoiler and just used the spoiler it came with or the high rise for 91-92 Camaros. Welding it is.