Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Forget the top, go topless ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Automatic
Forget the top, go topless ?

Despite the title this is not a R rate question. As many people have come across a convertible that needs a new top, has anyone just taken it off completely and been a fair weather driver. Or converted to a British style tonneau cover and no top ?
I'm getting to the point that I only drive the convertible on no rain threat days and short one day hops. Also its getting harder to get into the car with the top up. So my 91 ASC lives with the top down unless forced to go up because of weather. I'm not saying that the 88 is a beater but its not as good interior wise as the 91ASC which has a great top with many more years left on it. Also I want to do some slow rehab to the 91 which means down time.

So the 88 will be garaged unless driven and have the emergency tarp in the half trunk. If I can find a system for snaps or pins up in the dash area without hurting it I might give that a try.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:50 AM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z Convertable
Engine: 350 Cam, Heads, Heders...etc.
Transmission: 700-r4 "Raptor"
Re: Forget the top, go topless ?

I have considered the same thing. I only take my vert out in nice weather, it does not see water and here in california thats not a problem. My frame is bent from loose bolts and the previous owner; I have been unable to find a replacement frame and making one at this point would be very time consuming and probably take me 5 years of free weekends in the shop. My top still works but once I get the car panted it will have the potential to destroy the new paint on the rear seal next to the deck lid from uneven pressure. I am considering pulling the top out and just storing it until I can either find a replacement or make a new one. I never have the top up in that car. I will probably be removing it and wont even bother with a tarp etc... I don't want my car wet at all.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

BRG91: Being located in the Great Lakes region, even on the most serene summer day a violent downpour can get you with little warning so you better have a plan to cover your radio. And drill drain holes in the rear floor pans.

bphage: You should be ok.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TPI

As long as you're cruising and coming home, I think that's a fine idea. The problem comes if you want to take it to the hardware store or something and are forced to leave it in the parking lot with the top down.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:35 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

Let's face it, to break into a convertible requires a razor blade. The soft top is not a security thing, it is to keep the elements out when you don't have the top down.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Originally Posted by -srs-
As long as you're cruising and coming home, I think that's a fine idea. The problem comes if you want to take it to the hardware store or something and are forced to leave it in the parking lot with the top down.
I own the solution to this issue. For those times when I don't want to spend the tome putting the top up, then down again, I bought a convertible car cover. It attaches in the gap between the tonneau cover and trunk. Pulling it forward it comes over the open cockpit, then onto the windshield secured by the wipers. Then there are velcro straps that secure around the side mirrors and other straps that secure around the locked door handles. The cover I bought over two decades ago came from California Car Cover Co.

Lon