Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

87 IROC Conv Ground effects help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R
Axle/Gears: 2:77
87 IROC Conv Ground effects help

This is not another thread about how to get the ground effects off a convertible. I read all those posts.

I took the ground effects off my convertible 3 years ago. And it appears that I threw them away!! Yep how friggin dumb was that. I was not aware that they were different then the coupe version. In fact now that my car is painted and nearly fully restored I just learned today that they are different. Ask me how I learned. I vaguely recall when I took them off that it seemed as if somebody had "hacked" on them. they looked to have been cut and not necassarily in a real straight line. I had found a parts coupe that had some real nice GFX on it so a snagged those and tossed mine.

So I have a real great set for a coupe and I am quite sure that this is what ASC started with as well and then simply modified them. But how I do not know. I have zero clue what mods were made. Does anybody out there have some pix of some convertible GFX that are off a car? (Or even pix of the GFX on the car but pix shot from the very bottom looking up.)

Last edited by neilcase; 09-24-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: 87 IROC Conv Ground effects help

Originally Posted by neilcase
This is not another thread about how to get the ground effects off a convertible. I read all those posts.

I took the ground effects off my convertible 3 years ago. And it appears that I threw them away!! Yep how friggin dumb was that. I was not aware that they were different then the coupe version. In fact now that my car is painted and nearly fully restored I just learned today that they are different. Ask me how I learned. I vaguely recall when I took them off that it seemed as if somebody had "hacked" on them. they looked to have been cut and not necassarily in a real straight line. I had found a parts coupe that had some real nice GFX on it so a snagged those and tossed mine.

So I have a real great set for a coupe and I am quite sure that this is what ASC started with as well and then simply modified them. But how I do not know. I have zero clue what mods were made. Does anybody out there have some pix of some convertible GFX that are off a car?
I have a 91 and they are off the car. Different year and ground effects but if you think it'll help what would you like to see exactly?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:53 PM

If I am correct it looks like the convertible GFX started life as coupe GFX and then they cut the bottoms off. On the coupe the bottoms "curl" up and around and under the rockers. But the rockers on the convertible are bolstered heavily and they are much thicker so the stock GFX wont curl up and under. I'm assuming they were cut and then they essentially rested up against the rocker. I'd most interested in Pix of the very bottom of the GFX and the bottoms of the very ends. This is where it would have had to have been modified. If I'm wrong on this then they must have made a special GFX just for convertibles.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:41 AM

OK. partially solved. I recalled a convertible sitting on an old used car lot a few miles away. Went down there and looked at the GFX. As I suspected the very bottom surface (the side that faces toward the ground) is essentially sliced partly off as if put in a table saw. The cut line is then guarded by some rubber welting and that welting just butts up against the bolstered rocker. Now the question is.... other than the large pins with speed nuts on either end of the GFX... how does it mount to the rocker? I can see that my naked rockers have some stud pins. I cant recall if those pins are used somehow in the mounting of the modified GFX. So a pic of the inside of the GFX might tell us that answer.