Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

LM7 Swap no ac control

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 5.3L LM7
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73 1LE '90 Disc
LM7 Swap no ac control

Hey guys,

I don't usually ask dumb questions here, and I have already done a little research and think I know what the problem is but wanted to get your advise. I swapped a LM7 5.3 LS motor into my car with a 4l60e and took out the factory 305 auto.

My problem is the guy taking it apart initially wasn't me and I ended up having to take the car away from him to get anything done, and brought it back to a storage unit and a guy helped me get it wired and we got all the kinks worked out of it and got it tuned. She runs great now, and everything works. I am now trying to figure out the AC controls. The fan comes on and proceeds to blow through the defrost vents. The dial for low through high partially works, all settings but the very highest setting. The other controls don't seem to make much difference.

I know we took out the charcoal canister, the cruise control stuff, and the round vacuum canister. I believe in doing so we eliminated portions of the vacuum system needed for this to operate. So now I am trying to figure out how to provide basic vacuum to the controls so that they operate. Does anyone know for LS1 swaps the easiest most direct way to provide vacuum for this, and where does the hoses need to be hooked up?

I apologize in advance for asking this but definitely appreciate any input, pictures, part numbers, or anything I can use to get it going. Living in Central Alabama I know the summer heat will soon be unbarable and trying to prep for getting AC going again.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 96 Impala 84 berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: LM7 Swap no ac control

I am no expert on swapping out 305 to a 5.3L engine but I do know your 88 requires vacuum to operate the ac system. so the check valve has to be installed so when the engine shuts down the vacuum ball holds vacuum. the T fitting at the ball will go to the inside of dash at the firewall vacuum tube.