Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

AC Not Blowing at All

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: Manual
AC Not Blowing at All

Hi this is my first post and first 3rd gen bird. Love the car but it came with no ac and in Louisiana it makes for a uncontrollable ride. The ac, fan, or heat doesn't blow at all. I changed the blower but still nothing. I searched everywhere but couldn't find a answer. If it helps its a 89 v6. Thank you
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: AC Not Blowing at All

Remove the A/C control head from the dash and pull it out a few inches. (won't come out very far due to the temp door cable) Observe the wires on it. On the "mode" switch near the center rear, you'll see a green wire that goes off into the dash (A/C compressor), a wire that goes to the fan switch, and a brown wire that goes into the dash in another direction. That one is the power feed to the entire system. Follow it up in there: in about a foot, you'll come to a connector, which you will find is burnt to ashes.

Here's a pic of a similar connector. Not hard to see how destroyed it is. It's the absolute worst stupidest most rule-violating design I think I've ever seen for a connector: besides having too little contact area in the first place, it actually depends on the plastic housing to maintain tension on the contact, which is GUARANTEED to fail. When you find it, cut both ends of it off, and replace it with a pair of the BIG THICK HEAVY-DUTY YELLOW slide terminals, preferably insulated. Not, the itty bitty little weeeeenie yellow slide terminals that are the same as the blue & red ones except yellow; the BIG THICK HEAVY-DUTY YELLOW ones. Preferably insulated.

The connector in the pic is the feed for the blower motor high-speed relay. It is the same design and fails exactly the same way. It is located about above the pass side valve cover, across the windshield cowl, above the engine. Cut the big red wires and replace that connector as well, and if ground (black wires) goes through it, do the same to them.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: Manual
Re: AC Not Blowing at All

Thanks! I will give you an update later today.