Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Cooling Fan Relay Faliure AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc Z
Engine: LO3 305
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto Shift Kit
Cooling Fan Relay Faliure AGAIN

Hey everyone,
A few months ago the original cooling fan relay failed, causing the cooling fan to crazy. Sometimes the fan would stay engaged even after the key was pulled. After I disconnected the relay the fan would finally disengage. I ended up going to Camaro Haven (my local Camaro used parts store) and got a used relay from an identical I-Roc now this one has failed as well only about 3 months after I got it. This now that this one has failed it just doesn't engage the fan at all. Is there something wrong with the car thats caused these two relays to fail? Another thing I should note is that my temp gauge in the dash is stuck maxed out on the top my guess is its shorted out. So I cant exactly tell how hot the engine is but I know when its over heating since the coolant tank would be boiling LOL.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Papaginos; 08-29-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Fan-tastic Voyage

The problem is you used a used part.

Get a new one so the problem can go away for about 20 years.

Happy Racing !

My Brakes Don’t Work AT ALL When The Car Is In The Air

Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1
Re: Fan-tastic Voyage

Originally Posted by NINÅ
The problem is you used a used part.

Get a new one so the problem can go away for about 20 years.
Didn't you used to have a quote in your sig that says new doesn't mean good?? Maybe it's another member. Anyway... while I don't disagree with you that old parts can fail, so can new ones; and having two parts fail so closely together would lead me to also inspect the current draw of the cooling fan(s) as well. Just another thought since relays can be expensive fuses.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: Cooling Fan Relay Faliure AGAIN

Fan relays seem to be prone to failure - & usually at the worst time ! In the cars I own with an electric fan I've learned to always buy an extra relay and leave it in the console 'just in case'.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:18 PM

Well the one thing that confuses me is when I look up photos of other peoples blown relays the plastic is always black on the inside which obviously tells you they are blown but my two relays look perfectly fine lol. The reason i haven't gotten a new part is simply because I cant afford it (since I am a freshman in collage) I looked online i could not find anything but when I called Chevy they wanted $200 which way to much but I guess it makes sense due to the age of the car. I got the used one for $60 but since its almost the end of the season I'll be putting the car away soon anyway so over the winter ill look into finding a better price on the part.

Last edited by Papaginos; 09-08-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Papaginos
Well the one thing that confuses me is when I look up photos of other peoples blown relays the plastic is always black on the inside which obviously tells you they are blown but my two relays look perfectly fine lol. The reason i haven't gotten a new part is simply because I cant afford it (since I am a freshman in collage) I looked online i could not find anything but when I called Chevy they wanted $200 which way to much but I guess it makes sense due to the age of the car. I got the used one for $60 but since its almost the end of the season I'll be putting the car away soon anyway so over the winter ill look into finding a better price on the part.
Both costs seem high. Do you have one fan or two fans (and two fan relays)? Which relay is going out on you, is it next to the radiator on the passenger side or on the firewall next to the brake booster? I think the relay near the radiator is less than $30 dealer new and half that on the internet. I am NO parts guy, but when I look up a cooling fan relay for your car it shows 14089936.
Maybe I'm not looking for the right relay???
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Papaginos......"(since I am a freshman in collage)" Good luck in COLLEGE

That's kind of high for a $30 relay.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by Lurbie
Both costs seem high. Do you have one fan or two fans (and two fan relays)? Which relay is going out on you, is it next to the radiator on the passenger side or on the firewall next to the brake booster? I think the relay near the radiator is less than $30 dealer new and half that on the internet. I am NO parts guy, but when I look up a cooling fan relay for your car it shows 14089936.
Maybe I'm not looking for the right relay???
Lurbie, that's the right relay.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:10 PM

First sorry i spelt college wrong lol I'm actually dyslexic I guess spell check did see that mistake XD
Anyway the relay that is blown is the one of the fire wall. The original relay from the factory was the one that blew a few months back. The second one went a few weeks ago. The car was only driven at least a few hundred miles when this one went. When I searched for the relay online I could never find any, which was why I resorted to getting that used part as well as saving a few bucks.

Last edited by Papaginos; 09-10-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:43 PM

Car: 1992 pontiac firebird
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: automatic

Hey guys
I just purchased a 92 firebird 5.0
When the car runs the radiator fan will not turn on causing the car to get hot... however when I turn the a.c on the fans turn on and car runs great.... would this be a relay issue? Also where is it located?? Thank you
Old 09-13-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by steimel94
Hey guys
I just purchased a 92 firebird 5.0
When the car runs the radiator fan will not turn on causing the car to get hot... however when I turn the a.c on the fans turn on and car runs great.... would this be a relay issue? Also where is it located?? Thank you
Welcome to the forums. To keep things simple, please start your own thread so as not to muddy up an existing thread with different situations. Having said that, the simple answer to your question is: no, it is not a relay issue. While I don't have a 92 schematic in front of me, the A/C signal is likely similar in that it is spliced into the same relay and therefore, if it works with the A/C signal, it's not a relay issue. The relay location(s) are near the radiator and near the brake booster. The problem is likely the Cooling Fan switch. Check out the search bar if you haven't already, then start your own thread if you need more info. The members of this forum are great and there will be plenty of people that can help.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Fan Plan

Do you know someone that you can borrow an ammeter from?

If yes, connect it in line with the fan to see if it’s drawing too much.

Normal draw is 10 amps once it comes up to speed.

The reason i haven't gotten a new part is simply because I cant afford it…………I got the used one for $60
New ones cost $5 at RockAuto.

I know mods that once implemented will failsafe the fan relay, but post in the future for that since you’re presently on a tight budget.

Happy Racing !

The Next Time I’m In The Sand Trap, Let It Be Golf, Not My Car

Old 09-14-2015, 05:58 PM

Re: Fan Plan

Thanks NINA, Ill look into that Thursday or Friday when I don't have class, I'm pretty sure my friend has one that I can use.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:57 PM

I ended up taking the I-Roc to the shop and hopefully they can fix it. I simply did not have the time to look into this any further And since winter is coming I quickly have to get her ready for storage. One thing I wanted to ask everyone else here was if their fan got power from what ever this wiring mess is. It seams to tap right from the battery then go into some plastic shroud then to the fan.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:46 PM

My 89 does not look like that exactly. You have a junction block that you're pointing to there. Mine has no junction block. It comes off of the battery post to a splice in that smaller cable and then off to the fan relays (and alternator). I'm rebuilding my harness now and will actually be switching to a junction block like that in order to add some new wires directly to the battery for other things.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:56 PM

Oh ok, so its a junction block for the cooling fan and its various relays. I would assume this wouldn't really be causing the problem then. So your 89 wasn't made with a junction block? Was it only installed on some cars?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:29 PM

Oh ok, so its a junction block for the cooling fan and its various relays. I would assume this wouldn't really be causing the problem then. So your 89 wasn't made with a junction block? Was it only installed on some cars?
Mine was originally a TPI. That may be the difference.