Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

1986 single Fan relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42
1986 single Fan relay

I have an 86 Bird V8 with a single fan. It is wired with a single relay. However I have been using a lighting kit relay and I bought a factory fan relay to replace it.

The problem is the factory connector is long gone and the factory relay has four inline pins labeled 2,3,4,5 respectively, instead of 85 86 87 and 30 that you normally find. So does anybody know what 2,3,4,5 labeled pins correspond to on a normal relay?

I'm inclined to think 2,3 are ign in and ground and 4, 5 are main power in and out to fan, but I am just guessing and I can't locate a wiring diagram that shows it. I can test and find out but I didn't want to risk burning the relay.

Last edited by mmadden55; 02-07-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Kitt To The Rescue

The numbers from the kit are probably assigned therefore won’t relate to widely distributed diagrams.

If you knew the make and model number of the kit I could probably get a diagram from one of the customizers I know.

Without that use an ohmmeter, and a 12 volt source to discover which pins go to where.

Put a 1 amp or the closest you have in line with the 12 volt source, then start probing.

When you hear a ♦♦CLICK♦♦ you know that’s the coil.

Then use the ohmmeter to discover which pins are for the relay contacts.

Happy Racing !

What’s With The Stupid Truck And SUV Manufacturers That Mount Headlights Too High So They Don’t Illuminate The Road, But Only Shine Thru Cars’ Windows?