Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Alum Radiator Caution

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Alum Radiator Caution

Much has been bandied about concerning fitment issues—to include Champion and American Eagle (which is the brand I tried—no it wasn't a direct fit). So what happens after you've cut down/ruined the insulators and you're not satisfied with fitment? Well, the insulators are discontinued by GM. There is a repo on eBay at $23.40 per pair for the uppers and $36 something for both uppers and lowers. Yikes! I hit a bone yard and bought both for $2.00. BTW, I sent the American Eagle back and purchased a Murray though O'Reilly's. Perfect.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 05-04-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89' IROC-Z
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt/2.73
Re: Alum Radiator Caution

Posting this here as well.

Assuming an aftermarket full aluminum radiator that IS NOT the same size and dimensions would fit is poor research and thought on your end and not the manufacturer or seller.

http://www.championradiators.com/Ame...roud-1982-1992

I don't see anywhere labeled as DIRECT-FIT, no hassle install (unless you go to Ebay, why you would I have no idea but...). I'm actually surprised you're writing something like this. Something so easily figured out.

As far as the isolators go. Maybe a quick search would yield you a quick result. Prothane makes isolators for replacement. I even asked a question the other day on Summit for the dimensions, before buying it. I know I know...smart idea ;P

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-7-1712-bl

Now stop bashing aftermarket radiators for YOUR lack of identifying their dimensions and issues and that hacking isolators means the end of the road. Nobody said you CAN'T call the shop and ask questions. Some people are just afraid to talk to people, but love to ramble about crap online because they Have The Experience. So now you have 2 threads of the same meaning, both faults on your end (radiator fitment issues and isolators). Your other thread mentions going to Ebay. STOP GOING TO DARN EBAY. Good God people. Buy from the guys making the products and stop looking for a cheaper alternative to buying a new product at retail for retail on Ebay.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Second reply.

As an avid hobbyist of stereo and home theater systems as well as my 85 IROC, I've long attempted to do my due diligence where systems/parts were concerned.

In this case, American Eagle maintains that the radiator in question is compatible with 82-92 Camaros and lists interchange part numbers: AE951, CC951, MC951, 433918, CU951, 951. O'Reilly lists 433918 as the replacement for my radiator (a direct-OE fit, BTW, and the one currently in my car); Advance Auto also lists 433918 as a replacement. Rock Auto lists a slew of 915 part numbers. Given that info and the fact that American Eagle, in a phone call, recommended the above, I purchased. The American Eagle which was listed as an interchange simply didn't fit. Back it went.

The OE isolators have been discontinued. So your choices are bone yard or Ebay. Thanks for the heads-up about poly, though I'd prefer the cushioning of OE rubber.

Ebay? Well, it's here to stay, no denying that. Though some aren't fans of Ebay, if I find a product that foots the bill and has a good price, I'm buying.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 07-16-2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Typo/clarification
Old 08-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 314 Likes on 257 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

This is how I cut the upper mounts (right) on the shroud, similar trimming on the lower pieces.Plus the top isolators on the condenser.I didnt touch the lower isolators.

I cut the side facing the support only.Still plenty of rubber left is more cutting is desired.Trimming these makes it easier to line up the four bolts on the shroud/support.