Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Converting AC Compressor from D side to P Side

Old 10-29-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 firebird se
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373
Converting AC Compressor from D side to P Side

84 Bird SE - converting from V-belt compressor on Drivers side to Serpentine system with compressor on Passenger side. I have the hoses - new compressor (r4) - new orange orfice tube (+105 - severe duty) what else do I need to install? I have a shut-off installed for the hot water. Thanks byron
Old 10-30-2016, 06:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: Converting AC Compressor from D side to P Side

Surely you have the bracketry figured out for serpentine setup. I have never actually done this conversion, I am just looking at the parts. The condenser and accumulator are the same, but do not reuse the accumulator, get a new one. Evaps are very similar except high side inlet is a different shape. Not sure if tube can be "recurved" to suit. If you reuse existing evap and condenser, make sure you flush them thoroughly, these are the 2 places that the sludge sits. It looks like you have everything else covered.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 firebird se
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373
Re: Converting AC Compressor from D side to P Side

Eseibel67, yup got the braketry figured out. I have the hoses - new accumulator, flushed the heck out of the condensor and hoses. Just concerned that I missed something on the lines - I cleaned the orfice tube - however, I will replace with the orange colored extreme 105+ degree one. I very much appreciate your comments - regards and thanks, byron

Search this Thread