Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Help Diagnose a problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 RS Camaro
Engine: Custom Small Journal 327
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: GM 10 Bolt 3.08
Help Diagnose a problem

Hey Third Gen Nation.
I've recently built a high performance 327 but retained the factory cooling system with the exception of the Thermostat which is a 180. It was a 305 TBI car. If I'm cruising around everything works like a dream. However, my problem arises when I get stuck in traffic. The temperature goes all the way up to 240ish and then the fan kicks on. It never overheats, it just runs hotter than I would have expected. is it as simple as swapping out the fan switch to a cooler temperature or do I have a deeper underlying problem, i.e. water pump flow issue or radiator is just to small?

This website has always been a great source of insight thanks again for all the help.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: N/A, working on a t5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Re: Help Diagnose a problem

From what I've been seeing, 220° is normal. Give or take a few degrees. However I know that my car has hit 240° before the fans kick in. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but if it really bugs you you can always put in a lower temp tstat, and/or a lower temp fan switch.