Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Radiator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Radiator replacement

Hey everyone, I was driving my iroc (89, 5.7 tpi) and my car started smoking so I pulled over and turned the car off. Coolant was flowing out the radiator and there was a ton of white smoke. IDK what happened to it yet (I'm assuming a big rock) since I haven't taken it out yet but does anyone have any recommendations for new radiators? Also I'm guessing removing and installing it will be like any other car, just drain everything out, flush the system, unbolt it and bolt the new one in? If it isn't could someone also let me know haha. Thanks om advanced everyone!
Old 11-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: Radiator replacement

So the radiator was physically damaged? It sounds more like the car overheated and considering the age of these cars it's probably because of a bad relay or fan motor. Find out if the fans are operational and go from there.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo
So the radiator was physically damaged? It sounds more like the car overheated and considering the age of these cars it's probably because of a bad relay or fan motor. Find out if the fans are operational and go from there.
I took the radiator out and the plastic separated from the metal, that's why it was smoking and leaking.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:32 PM

Honestly no idea why it happened. I'm assuming old age and the weather got to it
Old 11-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

If you are not planning on a serious increase in horsepower a stock radiator will be your best option. I've heard good things about the O'Rielly's Murray radiators from long time members on these boards. I think they have a lifetime warranty. As you mentioned, do a good flush while you're there.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

If you are not planning on a serious increase in horsepower a stock radiator will be your best option. I've heard good things about the O'Rielly's Murray radiators from long time members on these boards. I think they have a lifetime warranty. As you mentioned, do a good flush while you're there.

I replaced mine 6years ago no problems(yet)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...Term=radiators
Old 11-26-2016, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

only hard part about replacing the radiator is that the hoses may be seized to where they connect to the ports on the radiator. you might as well replace the upper and lower radiator hose as well as the thermostat while you're there.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by mantaguy

I replaced mine 6years ago no problems(yet)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...Term=radiators
Thanks! I put the new one in and it works great, the only problem is there's small sludge like deposits throughout the system, I've flushed the system probably 8 or 9 times and still cant get that stuff out. I'm guessing when the guy before me switched from orange to green coolant they didn't flush out the heater core. I just threw a chemical flush it there to see if that'll help.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Remember too that the genera public does not know that ALL the fluids in your car have a useful life after which they start to turn colors and break down. Wouldn't be surprised if a percentage of the coolant you pulled out was original.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:34 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Yeah, I think max for radiator fluid is 5 years...

Scan / pic / copy the receipt so they can honor the "lifetime" replacement...
Paper it's printed on usually fades, and some businesses "purge" computer records after 2 years...

I did a survey of replacing radiators, seemed about half of those that upgraded to aluminum had problems... go with the OE replacement from OReiley's with lifetime warranty and be set, most people with those are still running strong...

Rafael