Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > DFI and ECM
Register Forgot Password?

DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 02-24-2005, 11:24 PM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Cheapest stand alone ECM?

What is the cheapest stand alone unit out there that can support 800rwhp plus with a FI car. Are there any piggy back units so i can saty emissions leagal?
Evil FI SS is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #2

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter

Re: Cheapest stand alone ECM?

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil FI SS
What is the cheapest stand alone unit out there that can support 800rwhp plus with a FI car. Are there any piggy back units so i can saty emissions leagal?
The only ecm that's going to be emissions legal is an oem one.
The oem ecms have run in the 9s.
Grumpy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:49 PM   #3

What needs to be done to tune a boosted car with a stock ecm. Doesn anyone offer a 3 bar map ect....?

What are the largest fuel injectors a stock ecm can control?
Evil FI SS is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:21 AM   #4

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350

Send a message via AIM to CAMp3RO
if you can solder, the mega squirt is the cheapest out there (around $200-300 for everything).

it probably wont pass the visual for emissions, but there's nothing saying you cant pass the sniffer with it. all depends on your state

members.sounddomain.com/adorefreak
CAMp3RO is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Supreme Member

Car: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.27

800 rwhp with EFI, passing emissions and cheap are incompatible goals. Maybe a DFI 7 or FAST setup with a WB O2 sensor? Not cheap though...
Old 03-07-2005, 02:28 AM   #6

Car: 91 Red Sled
Engine: 01' LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen

Send a message via AIM to JPrevost
www.pe-ltd.com ecm is really easy to use. The interface and setup is pretty spot on and the ecm can "grow" just as well as any of the other aftermarket versions. The only thing that isn't implemented is the wideband closed loop but it can STILL be datalogged and if you want, you can put it as an aux input that trims fuel. We did this and it worked out rather well. Saved our engine when we had a lean alpha-n tune.
Like Grumpy said, emissions controls is all GM.
JPrevost is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350, ZZ4 equivalent
Transmission: Pro-Built Road Race 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Dana 44

Quote:
What setup do you plane to run with 800 rwhp. And better yet how do you plane to pass inspection with that?? I am sorry if I am being a little critical but I see way to many new people on these boards with less then 10 posts ask questions like "How do make 500 hp for under $2000". Which is just completely unattainable.

If you are really going to make 800hp then the cost of the ECM shouldn't matter since you obviously have enough money to buy some of the best engine components which arenít cheap. So why don't you buy one of the best ECM's not the "cheapest". If you are trying to make a "low cost" 800 hp street car you might as well give up now.

The stock ECM has been used on some pretty radical setups and is great in terms of cost. For anything over 500HP I would probably end up buying a aftermarket ECM not because the stock one couldn't do it but because it would be easier to tune with aftermarket ECM's in my option. If you are looking for easy to use and tune I would have to say FAST makes the best ECM when it comes to that.

Last edited by 89 Iroc Z; 03-14-2005 at 11:17 PM.
89 Iroc Z is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
An 800rwhp car would require a complete drivetrain/suspension rebuild and be all out race. Driving it on the street would be something an elite few would have the stomach for. So why would you care about emissions or saving 50 bucks on an ECM? Unless you plan on daily driving this beast
anondude13 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #9

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: THE LT1 SWAP SHALL BEGIN!!!!
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: LSD! =(

Send a message via AIM to Psycho_91Camaro
How much are the tuners?
Psycho_91Camaro is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:48 AM   #10

Car: 84 T/A 5.0 H.O.
Engine: L69 305
Transmission: T350

Re: Re: Cheapest stand alone ECM?

Quote:
Originally posted by r3pp3r
An 800rwhp car would require a complete drivetrain/suspension rebuild and be all out race. Driving it on the street would be something an elite few would have the stomach for. So why would you care about emissions or saving 50 bucks on an ECM? Unless you plan on daily driving this beast
That statement might be true carburated but with the proper tune and good componants 800 is not all out race and is definitely streetable these days especially boosted. Will this guy do it? ?? It won't be on the cheap though.
JerseyRodder is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:05 AM   #11

Re: Re: Re: Cheapest stand alone ECM?

Quote:
Originally posted by JerseyRodder
That statement might be true carburated but with the proper tune and good componants 800 is not all out race and is definitely streetable these days especially boosted. Will this guy do it? ?? It won't be on the cheap though.
How many 800rwhp cars have you seen that aren't all out race? It's true that it wouldn't HAVE to be, but it always turns out to be.
anondude13 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #12

Car: too many ...

I've got some pretty high HP goals and I'm gonna stick with the GM equipment. I'm gonna do the 749 ECM swap and run $58 code w/ a 2 bar map sensor. I'm currently working on getting the fuel system together. Gotta get the tank sumped, already got an Aeromotive pump, and gonna order the new fuel lines soon. This setup should be able to support 700rwhp, which might happen later on when I get my TT setup finished. For now its gonna be pushing around 400rwhp with a Vortech S-Trim blower setup. I decided to stick with the GM stuff because of cost. We dont have emissions in Hawaii so I can get away with some radical stuff. But regardless, the factory stuff is capable of handling it, so no reason to spend more than I need to.

I agree that its possible to have a streetable 800hp car in certain situations. One example, if it was turbocharged and you had an electronic boost controller. You could run low boost during normal driving situations and turn it up when you race. It would be hard to consider a 800hp N/A or a Blown setup streetable because you have a set power level, and well, 800hp is kinda crazy. Another exception could be a BBC with a 300 nitrous bomb or something, I guess that could be somewhat streetable (depends on your definition of streetable hehe). I know a few guys with 9 and 10 second cars that are daily driven street cars. They even pass all local inspections and are 100% street legal.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #13

how much did it cost to get to 800hp, i can't talk from experiance but from the local dyno shop he likes motec what you save in $$ you spend in frustration. Lyndon Wester was on his way to program a twin turbo 2004 pickup when i got mine programmed by him.
Dave Farr is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:11 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > DFI and ECM

Tags
2bar, 323, 800, accel, aftermarket, camaro, dfi, ecm, ecms, elite, engines, fast, lt1, map, racing, stand, unit