DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Toyota 2F EFI Conversion to GM 1227747

Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota 2F EFI Conversion to GM 1227747

Dear Third Gen Lovers,

I am newbie in EFI conversion and I need kind support from you guys.
I have Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 1984 with 2F Engine, manual transmission and I want to convert it to EFI for reasonable mileage, efficiency and want to get rid of Carb issues. After lots of googling, it came to my knowledge that GM Truck 4.3L V6 TBI setup can easily install with 2F (4.2L), 2F engine is based on Chevy 235 inline 6 and conversion to EFI is possible with little efforts. I am a bit confuse regarding ECM Codes e.g. 1227747 "ABCD" <- What does it mean and TBI which fits with 1227747 is 305 or 350.

I have seen lots of conversion on web (link mentioned below) but unable to get complete details.

http://www.tomquinn.com/lc/2f_fi/
http://olympiafj60.home.comcast.net/cruiser_TBI.html
http://www.twistedandes.com/foro/showthread.php?t=14682

Moreover, I have checked TBI Conversion kits but once again I stuck in ESC, EGR, knock sensors and 3 or 1 wire O2 sensors. Some kits are with or without these sensor but there is one thing common i.e. 1227747 ECM.

I will highly appreciate, If someone could clarify ECM Codes after the ECM number what it does or does not matter and how I identify that the ECM needs above mentioned sensors or it just work with GM HEI Distributor, MAP, CTS, O2 and VSS.

Thanking in advance........

Regards,

Abdul.

Last edited by abdulr76; 05-14-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Link update
Old 05-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Re: Toyota 2F EFI Conversion to GM 1227747

I started my efi carrier with a 77 FJ40 and the 7747. Hit me offline and I should be able to help you with anything you could ever want to know. chetw77cruiser@msn.com
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the stock binaries for 7747. I presume you would need a manual trans and similar weight vehicle. Engine size can be dealt with in BPC as can injector size.

http://diy-efi.org/gmecm/ecm_info/1227747/

Note .ecu's are there as well

also a write up of use of 7747 in a non GM vehicle.

Howell Enginering can provide a harness as well as customefis I recall.

Last edited by Ronny; 05-17-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM

Welcome Abdul,
I will try to answer your questions as best as I can.
First, I need to know if you are going to use a kit of any sort to adapt the gm parts to the Toyota engine, assuming that this is a 2F engine. The throttle body from the 4.3 is the correct unit for this conversion, although an adapter is needed to mount to the intake manifold. There are other conversions, but I will cover this later if you are interested. Also needed is the ecu from the 4.3, there are two chips in it, one that sets the computer to the number of cylinders. I have an extra if you need. As for the “ABCD” code, there is a 4 letter code that referes to the calibration that is on the chip. The same computer was used from the 4.3 to the 454(7.4) v6 and v8 engines, each having several diffent calibrations. One may be for an automatic, the other may be used for running leaded fuel, etc. For instance, the code ABUL referes to to a 1987 Chevy Astro van with 4.3 and 700R4 automatic transmission, ASDZ is an 89 full size pickup, 350(5.7) V8 with 700R4 trans. The larger chip in the computer contains the code and can be reprogrammed with whatever code you want, even that which is made specifically for the 2F engine.

The required functions (minimum) is a rpm signal from the engine, throttle position from the throttle body, MAP (manifold vacume/pressure) signal from the intake manifold, engine temperature from the coolant sensor. This is the way I ran my first conversion for a year and it worked OK with the chip I purchased. With proper tunning, I was quite happy with this setup, but like most, I wanted more. It is nice to have computer control of ignition(ESC, knock sensor), but is not necessisary. If you chose not to use ignition control, you will need an electronic filter that goes between the ignition coil and the computer to clean the incoming signal. Without it, the computer will not be happy and not run. Trust me, I tried. As far as EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) is concerned, I do not use it on my engines, and it takes some interesting adaptation to get it to work correctly on the 2F using stock parts. Not saying it cannot be done, just takes some work. For the O2 sensor, the one wire works fine if it is fairly close to the exhaust ports. If you are going to use headers, the 3 or 4 wire sensor would be a better choice, although more wiring is required.

Ultimately, I ask what outcome you are trying to achieve, just the bare minimum or all the bells and whistles? Both will help eliminate issues the Asian carburetor can give when not feeling good. Mileage and efficiency are both helped with either as well. I was able to achieve an unheard of 18-19 MPG at 55 with my 77 FJ40 when I tuned it for economy, 16-18 with a regular tune at 65. If you are up to a challenge, I would suggest swapping a 3FE head and manifolds onto your lower end, upgrade the exhaust system, and use a 1227730/1227727 computer with the 8D(90 Corvette) code. I use this in my 77 now, and let me say that I would never go back to tbi, at least on the 2F. More power, smoother power and idle, lower attainable idle speed for trail use, and 20+ mpg at 65 MPH. I a glad I listened to the little voices in my head.

Funny that you show Tom Quinn’s conversion page, I was the one that gave him a copy of my 2F code, although the email address he has on the page is no longer valid. I have been and still am converting and tuning Landcruiser engines since 1998, everyone needs to have a hobby. I have since upgraded from tbi to port injection. I first used an adapter to use a different intake, and I was the first to swap a 3FE head and manifolds onto a 2F block. Made a world of difference compared to carb and tbi.

Chet Wagner.

Last edited by chetw77cruiser; 05-19-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: No spacing between paragraphs
Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 AM

Dear Chet,

I would like to express my gratitude on such an informative write-up, certainly your response has motivated me and will motivate other auto enthusiast, but needs your kind support.

Well, coming back to the topic. You wrote a paradigm shift note for me. After reading your email I came to the following conclusion that.

1. You have explained ECU Codes & Application
2. Defined Basic and advance setup TBI Conversion with ESC, Knock, etc
3. Requirement of calibrated Chip for 2F
4. What I want to achieve
5. 2F Conversion to 3FE head with GM 1227730 / 1227727
6. TBI to TPI or Port Injection

I am writing my response from items 4.

Answer 4. I want to achieve Fuel Economy and reasonably good power. I want to go with the basic setup like you did for one year.

Answer 5. My whereabouts are not good for GM parts, here I can get parts for Toyota car Petrol and Diesel engines with four cylinders. Here, 6 cylinders are not very common, FJ40s are not in use of public and mostly with Amry on Petrol 2F 4.2 L, the public FJ40s are with 2B Diesel engines and don’t like Diesel Engines.

Some how I looked for ECU (1227747) and finally get one from scrap yard but still looking for Dual Barrel TBI (350, correct me if wrong part #) and loosing hope as there is no (GM motor) candidate for this TBI, moreover, the only GM Vehicle available is Daewoo Racer, 1.5 SOHC GM Engine with Mono TBI (ECU 1227303). So, I am putting lots of effort and money to get one. I am hopeful to complete my project as harness and basics sensor can be arranged from Daewoo Racer.

I can think off 3FE conversion on 2F but unaware of the procedure and gearbox issues, etc………

Answer 6. For TBI or TPI or Port Injection like 3FE, I have checked the scrap-yard for 3FE engines and they are selling the entire engine with gearbox. On the other hand I am not in a position to swap the entire engine that’s why I have opted reasonable TBI conversion.

Despite the odds, but I am confident and determine that, I have to make my FJ40 Fuel Efficient and improve its power.

Well, bottom line is I need your guidance for other type of conversion if applicable.

Waiting for reply………..
Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 AM

Dear Chet,

I would like to express my gratitude on such an informative write-up, certainly your response has motivated me and will motivate other auto enthusiast, but needs your kind support.

Well, coming back to the topic. You wrote a paradigm shift note for me. After reading your email I came to the following conclusion that.

1. You have explained ECU Codes & Application
2. Defined Basic and advance setup TBI Conversion with ESC, Knock, etc
3. Requirement of calibrated Chip for 2F
4. What I want to achieve
5. 2F Conversion to 3FE head with GM 1227730 / 1227727
6. TBI to TPI or Port Injection

I am writing my response from items 4.

Answer 4. I want to achieve Fuel Economy and reasonably good power. I want to go with the basic setup like you did for one year.

Answer 5. My whereabouts are not good for GM parts, here I can get parts for Toyota car Petrol and Diesel engines with four cylinders. Here, 6 cylinders are not very common, FJ40s are not in use of public and mostly with Amry on Petrol 2F 4.2 L, the public FJ40s are with 2B Diesel engines and I don’t like Diesel Engines.

Somehow I looked for ECU (1227747) and finally get one from scrap yard but still looking for Dual Barrel TBI (350, correct me if wrong part #) and loosing hope as there is no (GM motor) candidate for this TBI, moreover, the only GM Vehicle available is Daewoo Racer, 1.5 SOHC GM Engine with Mono TBI (ECU 1227303). So, I am putting lots of effort and money to get one. I am hopeful to complete my project as harness and basics sensor can be arranged from Daewoo Racer.

I can think off 3FE conversion on 2F but unaware of the procedure and gearbox issues, etc………

Answer 6. For TBI or TPI or Port Injection like 3FE, I have checked the scrap-yard for 3FE engines and they are selling the entire engine with gearbox. On the other hand I am not in a position to swap the entire engine that’s why I have opted reasonable TBI conversion.

Despite the odds, but I am confident and determine that, I have to make my FJ40 Fuel Efficient and improve its power.

Well, bottom line is I need your guidance for other type of conversion if applicable.

Waiting for reply………..
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM

I also have a few more questions that I need to ask as well. You wrote that you want to rid yourself of carb problems, what are these problems you are referring to?

If you do not mind me asking, where are you located? If you are having difficulties locating parts needed, let me know and I can probably help. Parts are quite plentiful where I live. I know what you mean about the availability of vehicles with what is needed. Here in the US, we were not privileged to receive any diesel for our landcruisers, the only way to get one is to import it. A place to check for a wiring harness is Downey Off Road, the even have a complete kit for just this swap. If you contact them, talk to Jim Sickle, I have been working with him on developing this kit.
As far as the 3FE head swap, in a nut shell all that is needed is to swap the 2F head and the 3FE head. You use your block that is in the vehicle already. Since you are not swapping the whole engine, the transmission will remain untouched. The best part of this swap is that no machine work is needed, the head bolts right on. The biggest headaches are routing the heater return to the thermostat housing, the head does not have the port drilled and tapped but this could be done if needed. The other is figuring out an air cleaner setup. The cleaner for the 3B should work if I remember correctly. As far as parts are concerned, I can probably locate all the parts needed for this swap. I can even assemble a so-called kit to help you accomplish this swap, including a chip pre-programmed for this combination. Here is some information on a similar swap using the toyota 3FE computer.
http://bushrat.hdcruisers.org/3FEconversion.pdf

Another good source of information.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/

Another good source of information is the Toyota Landcruiser Association as well as the Landcruiser Mailing List.

If you want, we could take this off-list and free up some bandwidth for the list. chetw77cruiser@msn.com

Chet Wagner

Last edited by chetw77cruiser; 05-20-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

You guys are having to much fun with this!

CustomEFIS I think went belly up as their website is just a link farm now.

One of the best spots on the web for simple TBI conversions to any engine is
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/

Last edited by EagleMark; 06-02-2012 at 11:47 AM.