DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Replacement MicroTech MAF not as good as factory Bosch unit.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula - Red
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi
Replacement MicroTech MAF not as good as factory Bosch unit.

My bride's 89 Formula was running poorly, throwing a 34 code, and was hard-starting. It has the 350 TPI motor.

After checking to make sure it was not the relays or wiring, I replaced the factory Bosch MAF with a MicroTech unit, and it ran. but ran poorly.

I then checked the injectors with an ohm meter, and half were out of spec, so I replaced them with a set from Accel. It was now running, but not well.

I scanned everything I could, and noted that the readings from the new MicroTech MAF were higher than they are supposed to be. Researching this board, I noticed that someone mentioned that some aftermarket MAF sensors are a compromise, and not as good as the factory units.

I looked around eBay and took a $55 chance on a used Bosch unit. Immediately after installing the used unit, the MAF sensor readings were back in the correct range, and the idle was better. We took the car out to our private test area, and clearly the Redbird runs like it is supposed to again.

To be absolutely sure, I put the MicroTech unit back on, and the car ran poorly again. So I put the used Bosch back on for good.

If you have any doubts about the MAF sensor, go with the Bosch. There is a difference.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: camaro and gmc sierra
Engine: 5.0 l t.p.i,and 4.3 vortec
Transmission: manuel(iroc)automatic(other)
Axle/Gears: 3.45 bw
Re: Replacement MicroTech MAF not as good as factory Bosch unit.

micro tech maf is adjustable,look under there is a small screw,turn right ''increase'' and turn left''decrease'',i have one and run perfectly

Last edited by irocbadboy; 01-02-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open
Re: Replacement MicroTech MAF not as good as factory Bosch unit.

a good many of us are "plug and play"types we niether have the time or inclination to fiddle with stuff .and this poster has just learned that there is NO substitute for "correct"