DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Can someone take a look at my OBD1 Log File from WinALDL

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305TBI w/ Functional Sport Hood CAI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: SLP Posi and 3.23 Gears
Can someone take a look at my OBD1 Log File from WinALDL

My car hasn't been running right since, well, since I got it back 9 years ago and I am about to do a header/y-pipe upgrade on it + a new 3.23 SLP Posi rear end is sitting waiting to be installed. Can someone have a look at these numbers and see if anything pops out as obviously wrong?

The car idles for a good while in the log and then I take a short trip (no tag/insurance currently on car) of about 3 mins down a 55 MPH road and come back. There is something screwed up with the linkage on the TBI, the 2nd cable on the throttle linkage broke (the one with the plastic cap piece) and I need to find a way to fix it. Basically every time the car comes to a complete stop (or close) it just dies right now. But the bigger problem is it won't ever go into passing gear and it runs really rich, although as odd as it is, not as rich now as it did before I parked it for 2 years..

Thanks for any help and I'm hoping now that I have the OBD to USB cable and I am able to get live data I can finally solve these issues. I noticed I wasn't throwing any big error lights, just stuff like running rich, etc. Somebody that is experienced in looking at these logs please give it a read over for me.

I have TunerPro RT, but it didn't want to cooperate and let me do data logging (I'm so glad I just bought it and didn't try it first... yea I know, it can do burning if I wanted to down the road).

Thanks so much for anyone's advice/help in advance!

Attached Files
File Type: txt
20131011_182716_LOG.txt (107.0 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by LedZep; 10-12-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:46 AM

Re: Can someone take a look at my OBD1 Log File from WinALDL

If I am reading the log right, is the Throttle Position Sensor getting almost no data except in spurts? That is probably why the car is dying when it comes to a stop, right? However that isn't really the main issue, it is the running rich and not kicking into passing gear. When you floor the car right now it almost chokes the motor to the point of killing it.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:03 AM

I spent time putting the .txt into an Excel and so far I have noticed all of these showing as active at one point (I know some are normal):

MWAF1:Asynchronous Fuel Flag
MWAF1:Old High Gear Flag
MWAF1:Rich Flag
MWAF1:Closed Loop Flag
MCU2IO:AIR Switch Solenoid ON
MCU2IO:AIR Divert Solenoid ON
MCU2IO:A/C Disabled

This is a lot of data to go through, even though it is my car, but if there is any better way to do this please tell me.

Last edited by LedZep; 10-12-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

> the 2nd cable on the throttle linkage broke (the one with the plastic cap piece)

I wouldn't drive the car until this is fixed. That is the TV cable to the transmission which controls the line pressure.

As for the engine running issues, look into the mechanical: distributor timing, spark plug wires, plug, cap & rotor, valve adjustment, fuel pressure and so on.

The reason the TPS% looks like it changes suddenly, it that it isn't changing suddenly. The ALDL rate is one packet of data every 1.8 seconds.

RBob.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:03 PM

is there anyway to replace that TV cable or do you have to basically jimmy rig it once it breaks? The issue with the tranny passing gear has been a problem for a long time, way before the TV cable broke.

Also here is the excel file I made, I still haven't created multiple pages yet, I'll update this one with an even easier one to read.

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=Zhnp9IYSB

____

Last edited by LedZep; 10-12-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The TV cable is replaceable. Be sure to adjust it once the new one is installed. It is critical to the life of the transmission.

RBob.