DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

DAMAGED ECM ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAMAGED ECM ?

Please help. My 1991 firebird is having an electric malfunction. It ran fine before i removed heads. I've repaired head gaskets. Reassembled motor plugged all wires back in and tested continuity through grounds that i took loose. The car will do nothing. No click or fuel prime.

There is power going to ecm but it gives no response to instrument cluster. I can turn the key on and only the ammeter gauge and oil gauge work. All other guages and lights go through ecm computer ( by explination of haynes manual) and do not work. There is no fuel pump power or power to engage starter. There is power to starter. All fusible links are good at starter. All fuses are good under dash.

Emergency brake light illuminated in dash only when trying to crank. Battery is fully charged with good connections.The battery Reads 12 volts and was good before engine repair.

More diagnosis ...

The metal base of the distributor almost melted my skin. I figure this is an issue. With it still hooked up i pulled the wire off of the coil and when i turn key to on, it shoots a spark out to ground each time. At one point, with ecm plugged in to harness, the ammeter gauge pulsed violently until i turned key off. Could this be my main problem? All wires look ok i was careful during disassembly the car was running before . This same problem occured before in the past, before i ever did any major work to it. I cannot remember how i fixed it. The ecm's number is 1228746. Could this be a VATS issue?

Thanks

Last edited by carhunter; 11-24-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Transam GTA Notchback
Engine: 2003 Chevy 5.3 Vortec (325 cu)
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: DAMAGED ECM ?

First off dont go by the haynes manual, use a factory service manual.

No guages go through the ecm. They should still illuminate, if they dont it is either bad bulbs or blown fuses.

You could have a vats issue, but I think that you might have a bad fusible link. Keep digging and maybe someone else can chime in and keep us posted, the more info the better.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DAMAGED ECM ?

Thank you for your insight alex722607. I have no idea how I could have triggered the VATS; if that be the case. I have checked fuse links in wires by checking continuity across each. With battery disconnected of course. I believe my next step would be diagnosis of the cars vats system. Like i said the car has done this before. Maybe i jarred some fragile component to the security system causing it to do its job. I am baffeled that the starter (that i know is good ) will not engage with power going to it. It must be that the ecm controls a relay through the ignition switch for sending current to engage starter. I must do more research on the matter. I have trouble finding a schematic of the security system. Maybe the old radio shack resistor technique in place of the key, will be my answer. I just do not want to cover up a bigger problem such as a blown fuse or short circuit leading to a catastrophic issue. I hope more people may have time to post on this matter. I could use the great advice.