DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

86 iroc ecm

Old 04-19-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 IROC Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Rebuilt T5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73 gear
86 iroc ecm

I have an 86 iroc z with a 305 and im planning on swapping in a built small block to pick up a bunch of power but I want to keep the tpis intake and fuel injection harness in the car. Is there anyway I can use the factory wiring and get a new tunable ecu or a stand alone to use the factory wiring so I can actually make more power out of the car? Thank you.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73
Re: 86 iroc ecm

You can go one step farther and tune the OEM ECM.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:44 PM

If you put a timing cover on your new engine that can accommodate a crank pos. sensor. Add the reluctor wheel onto the crank, and use the correct balancer (or just machine the thickness of the wheel off of your stock one)

You could run the '0411 PCM from and LS-BASED vehicle

You could pin most of your stock harness into its connector. (Just buy the pins) At the same time you could easily tune that PCM to be speed-density and lose the MAF. Or keep the MAF. you can run a distributor with it, or use LS1 coil packs for a DIS. That's an amazing PCM that can be had with junkyard parts from any number of trucks SUVs, and can be programmed liked any stand-alone. It just needs a crank pos. sensor.

Then just get a tune from somewhere like 150tunes.com.

But why so worried about keeping stock wiring? That's the easiest part especially if the engine is out. At that point wiring could be anything you want.

OR:

Switch to a speed-density TPI ECM, and re-pin stock harness to that one.

OR:

basically have a chip burned for your stock ECM, but that keeps you stuck with a MAF which many find undesirable.

But for tuning, the TBI/TPI ECMs are antiquated and primitive. But they are tunable to an extent. The '0411 is just so much easier to tune, has more capability, and nowadays it is so much more common that there are more resources for it too

According to the sticky on this forum "20-200" different chips will be needed to be burned to figure out the tune by a first timer. If you're trying to use a TPI ECM. The software is so much easier to use for the '0411. And can be changed in the car. So less dicking around will be needed with the tuning too.

Last edited by ORIONOFFROAD; 04-19-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:32 PM

Car: 86 IROC Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Rebuilt T5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73 gear

Originally Posted by ORIONOFFROAD
If you put a timing cover on your new engine that can accommodate a crank pos. sensor. Add the reluctor wheel onto the crank, and use the correct balancer (or just machine the thickness of the wheel off of your stock one)

You could run the '0411 PCM from and LS-BASED vehicle

You could pin most of your stock harness into its connector. (Just buy the pins) At the same time you could easily tune that PCM to be speed-density and lose the MAF. Or keep the MAF. you can run a distributor with it, or use LS1 coil packs for a DIS. That's an amazing PCM that can be had with junkyard parts from any number of trucks SUVs, and can be programmed liked any stand-alone. It just needs a crank pos. sensor.

Then just get a tune from somewhere like 150tunes.com.

But why so worried about keeping stock wiring? That's the easiest part especially if the engine is out. At that point wiring could be anything you want.

OR:

Switch to a speed-density TPI ECM, and re-pin stock harness to that one.

OR:

basically have a chip burned for your stock ECM, but that keeps you stuck with a MAF which many find undesirable.

But for tuning, the TBI/TPI ECMs are antiquated and primitive. But they are tunable to an extent. The '0411 is just so much easier to tune, has more capability, and nowadays it is so much more common that there are more resources for it too

According to the sticky on this forum "20-200" different chips will be needed to be burned to figure out the tune by a first timer. If you're trying to use a TPI ECM. The software is so much easier to use for the '0411. And can be changed in the car. So less dicking around will be needed with the tuning too.
Lots of helpful info, thank you! if I went the 0411 pcm route, would I need the pcm out of a 98 v8 or the 99-02 v8 pcm? I believe the latter is the ls based one but I wanted to make sure.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 PM

Get any LS based '411. Just don't get one from a drive-by-wire engine, those PCMs have the IAC drivers left out.

*edit
Allow me to clarify, you need an '0411 PCM. That refers to the service number: "12200411" which is on the tag on the outside of the PCM . There are a couple other service numbers that interchange, just stay away from DBW ones. The easiest to find are 5.3, or 6.0 truck PCMs,they came for longer than just through '02. They continued for years after that.
Just grab as much of the LS harness as you can. At the very least you need the connector that plugs into the PCM so you can pin wires into it. But the more of the harness you grab intact means less wires to re-pin

Last edited by ORIONOFFROAD; 04-20-2015 at 11:27 PM.