DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Holley HP EFI vs EBL P4

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley HP EFI vs EBL P4

I am in the middle of collecting parts for a 91 5.7 L-98 swap into the wife's daily driver 2 Dr Caprice Landau. The goal is excellent drivability and good fuel economy. The engine I will be installing is very low miles and since I originally had planned on installing it in a 85 El Camino I previously had added Vortec heads, Vortec TPI intake and a mild comp cams Hyd roller recommended for a stock computer. My main question is would I be better off buying a EBL P4 or the Holley HP EFI to control it. I have a stock 730 ecm with a new prom burned to eliminate the vats but it will require tuning and I have no desire to get into chip burning. It looks like both systems have learning features and will allow tuning changes. Big difference if price. I would like some input on the two systems Pro and con of each. I already have a conversion harness to allow the stock 730 ecm to plug into the Caprice harness as the under dash connector it the same on a G body and the Caprice. One of my concerns with the Holley is breakdowns on the road and availability of repairs. Sorry about asking about a non third gen car but this board seems to have the most helpful members. If interested I will post my progress pictures and results when I get started on it. Thanks in advance for any help with my project.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: Holley HP EFI vs EBL P4

Relatively mild small block and you already have 730, i would go ebl. Its nice system i have used it and will want to upgrade to one as chip burning sucks

Holley is great to but way overkill for what you need
Old 09-08-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: modified 350
Transmission: high performance built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73

Please keep us posted on the Your wife's caprice,and which system you chose to use.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Mack
Please keep us posted on the Your wife's caprice,and which system you chose to use.
I finally have some time to start on the TPI Caprice project. I have decided that I will see how the engine runs with the stock 7730 ECM using a chip I had Jim's Performance burn for me a number of years back when I was planning on installing the engine in a 85 El-Camino I had. The chip has vats removed and Jim modified it to work with the Vortec heads and Comp cam I have. If it needs further tuning I plan on buying the EBL P4 with the port mod. I just installed a dual exhaust system that I had on the El Camino that I bought from Torque Tech It was only ran for 6 mo and the truck was parked. It is based on a Monte SS system and has 3 in head pipes Dynomax mufflers and 3 in tail pipes. The crossover, Cat and head pipes bolted up with no mods to the Caprice but I had to slightly modify the tailpipes. They are tucked up out of site and can hargly be seen. On the 305 they have a nice rumble at idle and under power but can hardly be heard when cruising. I wish the company was still in business as they made an excellent product. I will get some pictures of the exhaust and the car if any one is interested. Also If this project should be posted in a different place please move it. I was not sure where to put it since it is not a Thirdgen but I am using the engine and 700R4 from a 1991 Z/28.
Also this car is a survivor that we bought 4 years ago with only 9,500 actual miles on the clock. It now has 32,000. It is our road trip car but it does not get driven in the winter. Car is the most loaded Caprice I have ever seen for its vintage. and it drives like a new vehicle.
Later
Old 03-07-2021, 10:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 FORMULA
Engine: ZZ4 + LT4 HT CAM 430HP
Transmission: 700-R4 COMING T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.56's (COMING)

Man i am glad you brought this up..

By looking that the link it seems the EBL P4 is basically like a Holley, the "LAPTOP" you connect to it is the "TOUCHSCREEN" of the Holley, and the fact you just "PLUG IT IN" to the factory harness is an even better setup. No more "CHIPS" to deal with.

I am kind of in the same boat as i bought a car and wish to know the deal and what they changed with the bin.... Better safe than sorry deal.. I have Tunerpro RT trying to use this Red Devil cable deal just to try and copy over the bin of the chip that's currently in the car, i am soo lost, seems like the best route for any of us "NEWBIES" to this is to just skip it all and go straight to computer swap EBL P4 especially when 75%+ of the links to "NEWBIE TUNING" and other stuff here in the F.A.Q's are dead or not any good anymore... They need to get on that.

I had planned on getting a Holley HP and Stealthram OBD1 Style harness, unhook my factory engine harness and buy a new C100 bulk connectors and by looking at the factory harness repin a brand spanking new slim harness that is made into the holley setup with a connector, so it would be plug/play deal. But if i can get by with a simple computer swap instead, i am all for it! Save $1,500.00+

Old 03-08-2021, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by badgta
Man i am glad you brought this up..
Brought it up 6 years ago?
Old 03-10-2021, 08:46 PM
Banned

Car: 1991 FORMULA
Engine: ZZ4 + LT4 HT CAM 430HP
Transmission: 700-R4 COMING T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.56's (COMING)

didn't notice that.... But who cares really?

Old 08-20-2021, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 firebird Formula
Engine: super charged Lingenfelter 434
Transmission: turbo 400
Axle/Gears: 9 inch 4:30

I'm vacillating between the Holley Terminator X and the P4. I have a 91 Formula with a Lingenfelter 408 CI ( I think) with the TPI and a Vortec supercharger putting out around 8-9 LBS. It runs strong 7.15 in the eighth ...but I put it on the dyno and it says its running supper rich.
so i would like to be able to make a simple change here or there with out messing with burning chips.
For what im doing I'm thinking the P4 is the simplest way to go. It seems to be plug & play with only needing to change out a MAP sensor instead of a complete harness and possibly a new set of injectors..

I'm also looking for anyone that is using the P4 or the Terminator X to get some insight on if they are as advertised
Old 08-23-2021, 01:09 AM

Terminator x is all that and plenty of room to grow. Now that Holley released the can I/O module there's plenty of room for growth. The Hp is better though. For any power adder setup I would consider it minimum, for na terminator x is fine.

Many will say the terminator x is fine for boosted etc, but it is limited in comparison to the hp