DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

tpi swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tpi swap questions

im thinking that I need to start a thread to keep everything in one place instead of cluttering the board with all sorts of posts.

im starting the hardware install/injection conversion around Christmas. this has been years in coming.

what I already have:
7727 ecm, harness, distributor, and sensors from a 91 corvette.
1200cfm throttle body, with progressive butterflies
lean burn mopar distributor (will convert using the tpi distributor)
msd box
ls1 injectors, ls6 injectors, and red top ford injectors
adjustable vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator
edelbrock fuel rails
victor jr with injector bungs welded in
01 Malibu fuel pump module
3/8 feed and 5/16 return lines
1970 duster, 360 small block, 5 speed, 3.55 gears. 392hp @5800rpm, 400lb-ft at 3000

hardware questions:
1. I need an oxygen sensor. I have long tubes. I need a heated sensor, correct?
2. can I use a wideband with this ecm, and if so, should I? and is there a factory replacement one that would be recommended?
3. which set of injectors should I use?
4. other than MAP, TPS, IAC, CTS, IAT, 02, are there any sensors I need to keep?
5. do I need a knock sensor? I have a solid roller cam in the car, and im worried about false knock.
6. any reason not to use jegs pro-flo extreme braided nylon hose? its lined, and good looking. but what black fittings?
7. how hard do the hold downs need to exert pressure on the fuel rails?
8. should I skip monkeying with the factory malibu module and just go to a tanks pr4?

anything im missing?

ive done multiple efi engine swaps, but its always been a stock transplant. like a l98 into a 55 chevy, or the tbi into an old truck, etc. never a mix and match roll your own setup. I

ve been impressed with the dual pump/surge tank setup I normally use, but im extremely space limited in this car, and don't want my surge tank in my trunk. so I want to go in-tank. with me coming up on unemployed in feb, I want to do this as cheaply as realistically possible. so no super expensive fuel system stuff please. 250 for the pump setup would be about max.

what am I not thinking of/anticipating on the install/hardware side?
Old 11-27-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44
Re: tpi swap questions

My $.02.
Just to be clear, you are using a GM ecm/harness to control your Chrysler 360 with carb style intake with port injectors.

1) Yes, heated will be more consistent, and getting the O2 sensor up to temp, and stay at temp.
2) WBO2, yes and no. The ECM will NOT make use of the WB signal. As long as you WB has narrow output, the ECM can use that, and you can still use/log/gauge the WB signal.
3) use the injectors that have the same connector as the harness.
4) the tpi distributor electronics give you crank/cam/timing signal.
5) knock sensor is preferred. Gear drive would interfere with KS, not sure about solid lifters. That could be a different frequency than knock and won't give you a problem.
6) as long as it is rated for fuel and 45+/- PSI you should be fine.
7) not too much, since you're not boosted. I does need to be bolted/clipped/positively held down.
8) ???
Old 11-27-2015, 11:45 AM

you nailed the carb-tpi mopar small block conversion using corvette tpi parts.

1. what part number/application should I grab? and I always prefer denso or ntk. any issues with those on this ECM?

2. since I don't already have one, and the ECM will not really use it, should I just save the money and stay narrowband?
3. either injector plugs into the harness
4. those guts will be swapped into the lean burn distributor
5. is there any way to determine if its false knock or real from the ecm?
6. thanks
7. so 1/8 brackets made from plate and bent to fit should be fine, or will I need something more like 1/8 angle iron?
8. see this link for what im talking about: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html

thanks for the help so far.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC Z/28-under re-construction
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port
Transmission: It's in there....
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Borg-Warner

Wa,Wa, WAAAAAAAAAA?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by mjdavis68
Wa,Wa, WAAAAAAAAAA?
That's the sound most mopar guys make when they look at my car. Got a little bit of everything in it.

The super $8d code looks like it would recognize a wideband, but the documentation on that is splotchy at best that I've been able to find. So I guess a four wire o2 and plug reading will be the way to go.

I will run the knock sensor. If I'm reading a bunch of knock at conservative timing and fuel levels, ill assume that the solid roller is causing it.

I forgot to mention that the tremec 3550 im running has a vss, so that is covered.

I also don't have a stock v8 memcal. Will that pose any problems? I have a stock. Bin and the hardware to burn it to a chip, but don't know if that will be sufficient.

Lastly, with the 4bbl throttle body having progressive linkage between the primaries and secondaries, will that cause me headaches when it comes time to tune?
Old 11-29-2015, 04:59 PM

Why not use megasquirt or something similar? You would have a much faster ECU, more control over components, and more flexibility with sensors, injectors, ignition, etc. You could even ditch the distributor and use LS coils in a wasted spark arrangement.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:05 PM

honestly, due to fear.

my wife and I travel in this car. quite far a lot of the time. ~1000 miles from home for a weekend is not unheard of. megasquirt, being completely custom built, just scares me in this scenario for no good reason. in my mind, the gm based system has readily available parts, able to be ordered to any chain parts store within a day or so. so if an ecm gets cooked, I can have a BWD reman at the store within a day or so, and be back on my way. just eliminates a bunch of fear for me.

I always try to design stuff on the drivers for oh **** moments. ease of service, ease of sourcing parts, etc. we were in Harlan Kentucky with the 64 el camino when I lost a power steering pump. available, on the shelf, at the local advance. swapped in the parking lot. continued vacation. lost the lift pump to the surge tank in a rough part of Raleigh in that truck, and changed it out in an autozone parking lot. I try to plan for that sort of thing.

that's not knocking megasquirt. I could easily go that route for ECM, and had an MS3 in my shopping cart. ive also had an EZefi multiport retrofit in my shopping cart. but the above scenarios keep me coming back to the obd1 gmecm.

Michael
Old 11-29-2015, 05:31 PM

I hear you. My first custom ECU was on my 87 Porsche 930 and it was a VEMS unit. If my 930 died on me with the stock CIS system, I'd have to wait for parts from Germany. With the VEMS, I used LS coils, and mostly GM sensors, so I actually made the system more serviceable. The only thing that would've sunk me would be a fried ECU, I would've had to wait a day to get one shipped overnight.

I'm a bit of a tech geek and like the shiny blinky stuff. I'll be honest, distributors, carburetors, and even OBD1 stuff makes me nervous. I like having the ability to connect my laptop and see exactly what is going on, makes it easier for me to fix it. If I had a carb on anything, the most I'd be able to do is squirt some cleaner in it and hope for the best.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

Originally Posted by dusterbd
The super $8d code looks like it would recognize a wideband, but the documentation on that is splotchy at best that I've been able to find. So I guess a four wire o2 and plug reading will be the way to go.
I was going to mention S_AUJP as it does recognize BO2 control, and I'm 95% sure I have actually used closed loop WBO2 control. I used S_AUJP in a friend's truck on a 409 with a home made intake

I will run the knock sensor. If I'm reading a bunch of knock at conservative timing and fuel levels, ill assume that the solid roller is causing it.

I also don't have a stock v8 memcal. Will that pose any problems? I have a stock. Bin and the hardware to burn it to a chip, but don't know if that will be sufficient.
There's a couple ways to go about dealing with this. If you didn't care about knock control, you could use a V6 MEMCAL and just jumper the cylinder select pins to set the hardware 8 cyl PFI mode.

However, since you want knock control, there's a couple ways to go about getting this to work in your situation.

You can find a V8 MEMCAL that most closely matches your injection type (Multi-Port) and displacement. This would have the best match for the knock filter.

However, you can use a V6 MEMCAL, bypass the on-board knock filter and use an external knock filter such as what is found in early TBI trucks. This requires a couple modifications and parts to modify the MEMCAL.

I have not tried this idea, but it has some merit and that is to grab a MEMCAL from a late TBI truck (16197427 and similar) and swap the knock filter over from it. It should have the proper filtering for the displacement and the knock sensor used would need to match that application.

Lastly, with the 4bbl throttle body having progressive linkage between the primaries and secondaries, will that cause me headaches when it comes time to tune?
As long as it's a dry throttle body (meaning no injectors above), no it shouldn't really cause any issues.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
I was going to mention S_AUJP as it does recognize BO2 control, and I'm 95% sure I have actually used closed loop WBO2 control. I used S_AUJP in a friend's truck on a 409 with a home made intake

There's a couple ways to go about dealing with this. If you didn't care about knock control, you could use a V6 MEMCAL and just jumper the cylinder select pins to set the hardware 8 cyl PFI mode.

However, since you want knock control, there's a couple ways to go about getting this to work in your situation.

You can find a V8 MEMCAL that most closely matches your injection type (Multi-Port) and displacement. This would have the best match for the knock filter.

However, you can use a V6 MEMCAL, bypass the on-board knock filter and use an external knock filter such as what is found in early TBI trucks. This requires a couple modifications and parts to modify the MEMCAL.

I have not tried this idea, but it has some merit and that is to grab a MEMCAL from a late TBI truck (16197427 and similar) and swap the knock filter over from it. It should have the proper filtering for the displacement and the knock sensor used would need to match that application.

As long as it's a dry throttle body (meaning no injectors above), no it shouldn't really cause any issues.
so how does the wide band 02 control in super8d actually work? kind of like autotune?

I will find a v8 350 stock memcal. if im understanding things right, eith a 7730 or a 7727 memcal will work, right?

thanks on the throttle body. it is a dry throttle body. nice to know ot wont cause any trouble.

I haven't even really thought about tuning this thing much yet. right now, I just want to get the system in and idling.

on fuel pumps: theres a gm pump module and adapter sitting on my shelf. I "think" its out of an early 2000s Malibu. obviously, the pump wont keep up. but the housing looks the same as the pictures of the Camaro units the guys are using for ls1 swaps. is it? does it have a regulator in it, or will my rail mounted regulator be ok? or, should I pick up an ebay $100 ls1 module?