DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Datamaster "problem with shortcut" message

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:55 AM

Location: Close to Boggstown Indiana ( out in the middle of a corn field)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Iroc, saved from scrapyard
Engine: 350 vortec w/stealth ram
Transmission: 85 corvette 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Datamaster "problem with shortcut" message

Tried over and over to download datamaster on my windows 7 laptop, even after fresh windows updates I can't get it to work. One weird thing I noticed is my Norton antivirus pops up some message that says "security alert, Norton successfully blocked a Trojan gen 2 virus and I'm protected.

Every time I click on the icon a window pops up with the heading " problem with shortcut" , Then it says " The item 'DM32X8D.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcutwill no longer work properly."

"Do you wish to delete this shortcut?" ( Yes or No)

If I go through the start menu I get the same message. I downloaded off the TTS datamaster website's link. I've been trying to figure this out for over a week.

Does anyone have any ideas? I could really use a hand.

Thanks, Gary
Old 05-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi
Re: Datamaster "problem with shortcut" message

Step 1: Remove any and every Norton product from your computer.

Step 2: Don't argue about step 1.

Step 3: Start over.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:00 PM

What's step 4? haha

I uninstalled Norton on laptop and desktop, replaced with avg free version, restarted, scanned, uninstalled datamaster and redownloaded on both. I still get error messages and avg notifications of Trojan horse threats. I'm afraid to select "ignore" , I don't want to mess up my computers.
This is driving me crazy. Anyone know if it would be ok to select "ignore" instaead of repair?
Old 05-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by gbettner
What's step 4? haha

I uninstalled Norton on laptop and desktop, replaced with avg free version, restarted, scanned, uninstalled datamaster and redownloaded on both. I still get error messages and avg notifications of Trojan horse threats. I'm afraid to select "ignore" , I don't want to mess up my computers.
This is driving me crazy. Anyone know if it would be ok to select "ignore" instaead of repair?
As long as you downloaded the program from the official website (http://www.tunercat.com/DataMaster/dmdownload.html) or are using an official CD, then you can use ignore.

Last edited by thtanner; 05-15-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 AM

I was trying the TTS datamaster website link, I tried your tunercat link, it acts a little different but still doesn't work. AVG pops up some alert, if I click "fix the problem it" ceases the download. If I click " more options". It lets me click "allow", then the install wizard pops up a screen with like 3 options, "repair problem", " modify installation", and something else, maybe exit? I've tried both, and they just go into a never ending "extracting files" or some crap mode. I let both run for hours and nothing ever happened. only way to stop it is to shut down the install.

I guess it's my older computer, I don't know. I tried downloading datamaster on my work computer which is windows 10 and it properly downloaded in about 10 seconds.
I tried the free windows 10 upgrade on my laptop (currently windows 7) 2 different times also and it won't upgrade to windows 10 either, it just downloads for a couple hours then nothing.
I just had a new mother board installed couple months ago, laptop had been working great and barely used up until now. Guess I'll have to bring it in to the computer guy and see if he can get it installed.

Any other ideas please let me know, otherwise, thanks for trying to help. I really appreciate it.

-Gary
Old 05-16-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are having trouble with Datamaster, I would consider TunerPro RT. Setup is a little harder. You have to load your adx file. To configure for your cable, go into "tools", "preferences" to configure. On the plus side there is no 20 datalog limit, and it has the capability to alter your PROM tables with the correct xdf file.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by gbettner
I was trying the TTS datamaster website link, I tried your tunercat link, it acts a little different but still doesn't work. AVG pops up some alert, if I click "fix the problem it" ceases the download. If I click " more options". It lets me click "allow", then the install wizard pops up a screen with like 3 options, "repair problem", " modify installation", and something else, maybe exit? I've tried both, and they just go into a never ending "extracting files" or some crap mode. I let both run for hours and nothing ever happened. only way to stop it is to shut down the install.

I guess it's my older computer, I don't know. I tried downloading datamaster on my work computer which is windows 10 and it properly downloaded in about 10 seconds.
I tried the free windows 10 upgrade on my laptop (currently windows 7) 2 different times also and it won't upgrade to windows 10 either, it just downloads for a couple hours then nothing.
I just had a new mother board installed couple months ago, laptop had been working great and barely used up until now. Guess I'll have to bring it in to the computer guy and see if he can get it installed.

Any other ideas please let me know, otherwise, thanks for trying to help. I really appreciate it.

-Gary
Gary,

The problem Norton messed it up the first time it was installed. So the program "installed", but Norton removed part of it. What we need to do is remove it, and start again.

Run the program you downloaded. Ignore with AVG.

Now you are given the option to modify, repair, or remove. REMOVE the program. If you have no remove option, select modify, then remove.

Let the program Uninstall.

Now, run the program you downloaded again. Ignore with AVG. Follow the installation steps. It should work.

I've been a 'computer guy' since the late 90s. This one is a super quick fix if you know what you're looking for, so if you do seek help, don't let them charge you more than $20 or a case of beer.

Last edited by thtanner; 05-16-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:42 AM

Thanks, I just noticed this post. I'll try it as soon as I get home and let you know.

I appreciate the help thtanner.

Also thanks L98_383 but the guy that did my tune insisted on datamaster for the datalog he wants to check.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 PM

Well that didn't work, I did as you said and finally got through install but if I click on datamaster icon afterwards I'm getting that dang "problem with shortcut " window again.

Thanks for all the helpful tips
Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 PM

Well, 5 months later and I just bought a fresh windows 10 laptop for the sole purpose of downloading datamaster so I can data log my IROC. Now the above link no longer exists and the if I google it it doesn't exist anymore either. Does anyone have a current way to download datamaster? A current link? Please?Please? Please?
Old 09-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

If you're using Scott Hansen to tune, he swapped to TunerPro RT because of Datamaster being unsupported.

May want to check with your tuner to see if they still require Datamaster.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:26 PM

Yes, I had Scott Hansen do the last tune since tuned performance was having health issues. Thanks for the info man! I'll email him tomorrow.