DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Security system issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Security system issue

So I took my car up to this shop and they told me that my starter motor was shot, so I ordered a new one and they put it on today. They started the car up for a few minutes and let it run and then shut it off and went out for a break. They said they came back and tried to start it up, turned the key and the security light stays on solid. They turned the key to try and crank it and nothing happens, the security system will not let them start it. They had a locksmith up there but he said it's not the key, it's the security system. Any thoughts on this guys? Is there a code that will let them in? I have a 91 firebird 3.1L V6 with the 7730 ECM. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Security system issue

Look into "VATS"
Old 07-27-2016, 03:47 AM

Umm okay?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

Have you had problems in the past with the VATS system? As Vanilla said, search VATS. There are ways around it, some use resistors and others tune it out of the ECM. There are modules you can buy but those are more expensive. Again, search VATS and a ton of info will be available for you to read and decide what is best for you and your situation. HTH!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Oenone
Umm okay?
Did you bother to even google vats before this reply?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vats+firebird

https://www.lockmasters.com/ecommerc...%20Article.pdf
Old 07-28-2016, 06:31 AM

Vanilla, I did! I don't want you to think I just disregarded your advice, I appreciate your help. I responded the way I did because VATS is a bit intimidating and even before I posted on here I pretty much had my suspicion that it was a VATS issue. So please don't think that I ignored your advice, I always appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone can give me. Matter of fact, bigal, I didn't start having issues with the security system until after I was told that my steering column was shot. I replaced it with a used one out of a 91 camaro and it was right after that that I started having problems. Now that I think about it, the locksmith made me a new key and the key cylinder in the column is really stiff and I have to muscle it to get the key to turn on at all. So I really do have a hunch that this has something to do with that steering column, I could be wrong though. Thank you both for your advice!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 AM

vatssucks.com
Old 07-28-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

Does the new key have the resistor pellet? It must be matched (resistance wise) to the module. If your key does not have the resistor pellet, the car will not start, no way. If you still have the old key with the pellet, get a DVOM and check the resistance of the pellet. Get some resistors to match and wire those into the VATS wiring connector at the base of the column. Attach the resistors to the dash side of the wiring, not the connector going up to the key switch. HTH!
Old 07-30-2016, 05:06 PM

Yeah I'm beginning to wonder if the locksmith when he cut my key he might have used the wrong value of resistor, I'm not sure. It does have the little black pellet in it but it is so incredibly stiff to turn over. My old pontiac steering column never had this problem so I'm thinking another option may be to pull out the ignition assembly out of it and put it in my camaro column. Apparently the camaro column had problems with the VATS and I'm guessing that was why it was in the junkyard. Thank you all for your help!
Old 07-30-2016, 05:50 PM

Don't bother just disable vats in the tune.