DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

EBL Flash Won't Enter VE Learn

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA, Digital Dash
Engine: L98 TPI
Transmission: 1994 LT1 T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27
EBL Flash Won't Enter VE Learn

Hey guys,

I installed an EBL Flash a few days ago and have been trying to do some VE learns to get a base tune on the car. I read over the instructions and did the following:
  • Disabled closed loop mode
  • Disabled EGR
  • Removed and plugged CCP line
  • Removed and plugged EGR vacuum line
  • installed '91 intake plenum with a used firebird MAP sensor and rewired MAF harness to plug into MAP sensor
  • Set timing to TDC on cyl 1

I haven't been able to get it to enter ve learn mode, so i spent a few hours reading tgo threads looking for an answer. I don't know anything about tuning or the ebl flash yet, so this is probably going to be an easy answer.

Some info about the car:
  • 1987 GTA, unmodified L98 with all accessories except AC compressor
  • Originally a 700r4 auto, '165 ecu
  • Recent T56 swap with EBL Flash swap at same time
  • Digital dash in good working order, but VSS not yet connected for speedo
  • all sensors in good working order (as far as i know, the only one that hasn't been changed in the last year is the O2 sensor, which outputs 400-1100 mV)
  • The MAP sensor was connected to the 5v reference coming off the ECU (gray wire, C4 if i remember right) and verified to deliver 5v with the key on. The MAF harness was matched green wire for input and black for sensor ground
  • EBL Bin 3006 was used as a base tune, as suggested in other member's threads. It has not been changed.

Additional info:
  • The 700r4 ate itself recently and had to be removed. It was replaced with a t56 last weekend.
  • The prom chip in the stock ECU also burned up a few days prior to the transmission failure, so i no longer have the stock tune.
  • The engine ran fine in limp mode with the t56. Not good, but limp mode fine.

Now, I was planning to install the new ECU first and then follow with the T56 when I understood how to work with it, but that wasn't possible with the Prom/700r4 failures back to back.

That said, there's three questions I haven't found an answer for by searching TGO and the help info that came with the EBL Flash (and I'm hoping someone can help, of course!):
  1. Does the VE learn need a speed input to trigger, or is it based on engine load, RPM and other parameters?
  2. The WUD is reporting error code 34: MAP LO that won't clear. Is this related?
  3. Have I missed something/Anything I should check?

I can attach a datalog tomorrow if running info is needed.
Thanks!!

Last edited by RunawayRadio; 09-10-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: EBL Flash Won't Enter VE Learn

Couple of things, the base timing should be 6* BTDC, not 0. The MAP Lo malfunction needs to be corrected before any tuning is done. Either the MAP sensor is bad, the +5 volts to it isn't, or the wire between MAP pin B (signal) and the ECM is open or pinned wrong.

When troubleshooting sensors always use the WUD's Diagnostic display. They are the raw sensor values. The other displays use default values in place of the raw values.

As for not entering VE Learn mode, with the ECM in forced open loop will need a WB O2 setup installed and wired to the ECM.

If one isn't installed then allow closed loop and use the BLM mode for the VE Learns.

The lack of VSS won't affect the learns, but will affect other features.

RBob.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:39 PM

Excellent info. Thanks for the quick reply!

I haven't been able to locate an appropriate diagram on what each pin in the map sensor harness should be connected to when converting from a MAF. I've read that people normally directly rewire the MAF harness to the MAP connector and leave two wires taped off when done. If that's the case, how? Is there a conversion diagram available?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by RunawayRadio
Is there a conversion diagram available?

Thanks!
PM me your email address and I'll forward the information.

RBob.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the additonal info RBob. Got everything working 100%.

Last question: When doing a VE learn, the generated bin file doesn't let the car go into closed loop, only the original does. Is this intentional? I'm not sure if i should be copying over the learned VE table to a copy of the baseline tune or if it an be loaded directly.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2016, 01:02 PM

You may have given the VE Learn the wrong "from" BIN. The VE Learn only changes the VE table, the PromID, and the checksum. All other parameters are copied over as-is.

Note that the WUD pre-populates the BIN name to be flashed in as the latest "to" BIN from the VE Learn.

RBob.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:28 PM

I figured it out. I double checked, and I was using the correct "from" and "to" bins. The VE learn "save to" file seems to reset the "Closed Loop - CTS Threshold" to 149.75* every time a new VE learn takes place, so if i want to use the VE learn bin file on the next learning run, i have to manually correct that scalar to a lower value like 47.75* to enable closed loop operation on the new bin file. Is this normal?

Edit: The base tune included with the WUD install (3006.bin) had the cts threshold set to -40*, so it looks like the ve learn was defaulting to 149.75* in the new bin file. Each successive ve learn seems to work correctly now. All good.

Thanks!

Last edited by RunawayRadio; 09-28-2016 at 03:44 PM.