DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Knock Counts w/o Knock Sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock Counts w/o Knock Sensor???

I am data logging with TunerPro 5, using the 1227730_8D adx downloaded from GearHead, connected to a 730 ECM on a 350 TPI with Swirl Port heads. In trying to diagnose a part throttle hesitation, I noticed my Knock Counts rolling from 0 to 255 to 0, etc.
This is causing the Knock Retard to pull 20 degrees of timing during the "flat spot" at part throttle. As a test, I unplugged the wire to the KS (not the thermo switch in the head), and I am still getting high Knock Counts.
Question: How is that possible?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Knock Counts w/o Knock Sensor???

Ground the knock sensor wire someplace. It is likely acting as an antenna and picking up a lot of noise.

Of course the knock filter on the MEMCAL could also be bad.

RBob.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Knock Counts w/o Knock Sensor???

RBob......thanks for the suggestions, finally got time to test them. I'm getting runaway knock counts immediately on startup weather the KS wire is open, grounded, or connected to KS. Can I safely assume it is the knock filter? If so, what are the options short of disabling the knock parameters in the PROM? My filter (epoxy coated board that sits above the two smaller chips) has a number 1P0186, but I find no reference to that on the web.