DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Tuning with the EBL

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27
Re: Tuning with the EBL

looks like it's also going into PE which is what it's supposed to be doing with 100% TPS, but I would say there should be a lot sooner AE. there's a filter for TPS and MAP AE, probably need to fiddle with that. and since the PW is then distributed differently (over time), you probably need to fiddle with the amount of AE (PW) again as well (imho!).

p.s. this is a TBI setup, right? i think i remember that with that there's a point where you can't enrichen any faster/sooner and you'll always get some kind of some lean spike.. but i'll leave that one to the pros

Last edited by ownor; 09-23-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ownor
p.s. this is a TBI setup, right? i think i remember that with that there's a point where you can't enrichen any faster/sooner and you'll always get some kind of some lean spike.. but i'll leave that one to the pros
Yes, its TBI. I should have mentioned that. I've already raised the AE TPS PW and AE MAP PW some, as well as lowered the FILTER values a bit. Trying to understand if I should continue to do that, or if as you put it, there is always a spike, and no amount of tweaking can get rid of it.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:16 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by tuningnewb
Yes, its TBI. I should have mentioned that. I've already raised the AE TPS PW and AE MAP PW some, as well as lowered the FILTER values a bit. Trying to understand if I should continue to do that, or if as you put it, there is always a spike, and no amount of tweaking can get rid of it.
Check the injector DC% during the period of AE, if over 100% need to increase the injector flow as any more PW won't matter. Should be much less of a lean spike, see here:

RBob.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ownor
Is there any merit to have closed loop on during decel? I mean it's pretty hard to dial in but I'm guessing there's no need to; other than avoiding misifiring or stalling, I'd say decel is not that critical?
I don't know of any advantage to closed loop decel. Most of the time the engine will start to surge due to proportional gains or from the INT being used to create cross counts. The injector PW is very small, the density of the air/fuel mix is very low. If there are cat-cons on the vehicle it is most important to run rich enough to prevent misfiring.

RBob.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
Check the injector DC% during the period of AE, if over 100% need to increase the injector flow as any more PW won't matter. Should be much less of a lean spike, see here:

RBob.
Thanks Rbob, I'll check the DC tonight.
When you say 'increase the injector flow', are you referring to going to a new injector rated for more flow, or a BIN adjustment like modifying the BPC values?

Thanks.
EDIT: Yes, for about 3 data points at each shift I am hitting above 100% DC.

Last edited by tuningnewb; 09-23-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:05 PM

Either larger injectors or higher fuel pressure. can use the EBL Utility to see how much pressure increase increases the fuel flow. Be sure to adjust the BPC vs VAC table with injector flow rate changes.

RBob.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:53 AM

Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27

I don't know of any advantage to closed loop decel. Most of the time the engine will start to surge due to proportional gains or from the INT being used to create cross counts. The injector PW is very small, the density of the air/fuel mix is very low.
Makes sense.. so just use OL DE.. and I prefer a fast DFCO anyways.
If there are cat-cons on the vehicle it is most important to run rich enough to prevent misfiring.
..at least if they aren't metallic cats, right? as a guideline, rich enough is somewhere in the 13:1 range? what do you do with SA in that state anyways, can you run more SA in order to keep it from lighting off late enough when it already goes out the exhaust valves?

Thanks for the example of an acceptable lean spike, I saved that for future reference. Also good point of DC, wouldn't have thought of that. Of course any further commanded PW can't be implemented when injectors are already open static.

Last edited by ownor; 09-24-2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:06 PM

Im enjoying my EBL, Things are running much better. My question for RBob is about the WUD. Is there any way to make it bigger? I have a laptop with a 17" screen and with my old eyes, its a bit tough to see at a glance as I'm driving. If it was about twice as big it would be much easier to see.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:28 PM

Try a lower screen resolution. Maybe set up another user with that if it works. Can then select between the two display resolutions by changing the user.

Be careful with an open laptop, in most states that is a ticket. I use a piece of foam and lower the lid onto it. Holds it open enough to tap the space bar but not to see the screen. Of course I also practice the seat belt laws and strap in both myself and the laptop in.

RBob.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:41 PM

I'll give that a try. Also, Im not running around town reading my laptop. I'm way out on country roads and highways with very little traffic.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 379 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Knock on wood never had an issue here, even at night. Cops are too busy using their own laptops or cell phones.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:39 PM

Car: 87 Suburban 2500
Engine: 455 Wildcat ( somewhat modified ))
Transmission: TH400 ( for now )
Axle/Gears: 4.10 ( for now )

Be careful with an open laptop, in most states that is a ticket.
Really ?
I never knew.
The last two decades or so, I've been running around with an open laptop, either doing field surveys and using it for navigation, or EBL.
I never gave it a second thought !
Figured out creative ways to strap it in, so it won't go anywhere, using the passenger seat belt, and sometimes a rubber band.
Of course, I haven't been stopped for anything in decades, either.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cflick
Of course, I haven't been stopped for anything in decades, either.
You just jinxed yourself, you know.......
Old 11-07-2015, 10:00 AM

Car: 87 Suburban 2500
Engine: 455 Wildcat ( somewhat modified ))
Transmission: TH400 ( for now )
Axle/Gears: 4.10 ( for now )

Originally Posted by ccreddell
You just jinxed yourself, you know.......
Perhaps I should have added with a laptop.
I did get stopped for, of all things, a license plate light about 6 mos. ago.

Still, I'm not worried.
As I've written in the past, my preference is to record extensive logs, and do analysis after the fact. It would work just as well for me to do as Rbob suggests.
Almost never do I care to look at the display on the road. ( and based on accidents cause by texting distractions and such, I strongly recommend against watching the display anyway, or even glancing at it )
Old 11-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really, really close on getting AE where I want it at WOT in PE mode.

Mid throttle stomps are good... Full throttle is good enough- but trying to massage the AFR up just a bit from 10.6-11 for this momentary period that I am seeing in my logs during PE. Right after that rich spot, it jumps up to right around my cAFR of 12.4 and stays there through the 1-2 shift and through second.

From a stomp while driving and getting a 1st gear downshift, it will get up to about 15.1ish at 99KPAs for a fraction of a second and then dip into the high 10s right as the MAP AE come in. It runs rich there for only a moment or two- as in two to three fractions of a second as reported on the WUD in a dump file.

It looks like the momentary bit of lean is during TPS AE and then the too rich period is when they overlap.

Car does not bog ever. Seems like the engine doesn't mind it at all.

Is this worth tweaking?

Also - please remind me what direction to take the PWs. Today is one of those days where everything seems like it is running together for me . If I remember correctly, increasing the PW value makes it longer and the burst isn't as short So, does that sound like I need a lower numerical value for TPS AE and a higher numerical value for MAP AE?

Last edited by CORV3TT3; 11-16-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:18 AM

Leading up to getting the EBL, I read Rbob's site, read numerous threads on this forum(and others) and skipped around this thread. I figured I'd understand it more once I got a hold of it and could look around myself.

When I received the EBL, I thought I had the correct BIN in it- except I didn't realize the Vortec spark table never actually transferred to the LO5 BIN like I needed. In fact, I ran my truck down the track on the LO5 stock BIN and ran a 16.3. Popped like crazy past 4500RPM and knock counts were sky high according to the WUD.

Anyway, it's a 1991 c1500, '98 shortblock 350 .030 over, Dart "vortec" heads, 1.6:1 rockers with a 700r4 (no O/D) and 3.73 gears. Just being thorough in relaying information...

(1)The spark counts were still there (not as bad though) so I tried smoothing out the areas with knock counts by about .9 to be cautious. I've since moved up to .85, unfortunately now with the cold weather, knock counts have went back up. Most of which actually occur when shutting the motor off (600-1400RPM 30-40 MAP). Is that normal? My last datalog (two 40 minute drives) netted me about 150 knocks. It's actually gone up by about 90 (mostly at shut off) from my last datalog with the same route, outside temperature was significantly colder though.

(2) I've also been doing VE Learns, which to do so, I've had it locked in closed loop by setting the "HiWy- Min MPH" scalar to 255. Is this correct? I don't have a wideband O2.

(2.5) Between my last two datalogs, the VE tables have started to look a bit rougher. Would the colder temperatures and no IAT cause this? This truck only has a MAP sensor. Would it be worthwhile to install an IAT? If so, which would you recommend? Or would it be more worthwhile to install a proper WB O2?

The third thing isn't all that important but the PromID on the WUD stays constant through the learns (35) even though I've done nearly 50 so far. I've tried changing the PromID in the Scalar menu in TunerPro 5 but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is it a problem or just a thing for record keeping?

If anyone would like to see the datalog/BIN, I'd gladly post it to get feedback; unfortunately, I don't know how to do that.

In closing, I'd like to apologize for the novice questions. I've read numerous threads this past week (in an effort to learn on my own) but it seems like all of the information is scattered or buried in long threads such as this. I know someone mentioned a Wiki for tuning the EBL in this thread, it's a shame that never came together.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:42 AM

The knock counts at key-off are to be ignored. The ESC module powers down immediately which is what is causing the knock to be reported.

Setting HiWy mode MPH to 255 is fine. That will provide for better VE Learn coverage.

> but the PromID on the WUD stays constant through the learns

This is an issue, either you aren't flashing in the new BIN, or it is being flashed into a non-active bank. The PromID is incremented on each learn, so the WUD display of it should do the same.

RBob.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 91c1500
If anyone would like to see the datalog/BIN, I'd gladly post it to get feedback; unfortunately, I don't know how to do that.
The moment you successfully save your newest bin/datalog, it is placed in a designated folder. Note that folder's name ahead of time while you're choosing a title for the new bin/datalog, or when it is automatically incremented, just in case you have trouble finding it later on. When you have successfully saved a new bin/datalog, you will then add an attachment when replying to one of these threads by clicking on add attachment, attachment/file type, then scroll through your folders in which you jotted down earlier to find the bin/datalog location if the system doesn't find it for you, then simply highlight it and attach it. Attaching the .dat files will be tricky, but doable. I would host it elsewhere then provide the link here for it to download, or the easiest way is to email it directly to a member.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:43 AM

I thought about the knock count thing being a one off similar to how it'll register knocks at key on-engine off but wasn't sure. Should I revert back to the Vortec spark table and start from scratch? It seems, I'm only in those cells for the first 30 seconds after starting and it idles fine. No more than 100 rpm fluctuation.

I'll check the banks.

I usually do VE learns in realtime -not through a playback. The read/program files should be staggered, correct? If you do VE learns during playback, it should be the same, yes?

I understand the DC% should be less than 85%, does the VE learn eventually take care of this? If not how do I bring it down?

What is aPW? It doesn't move at all.

Last question. What is an acceptable number of stps for the IAC, both idle and highway speeds. Mine start at 140 at idle, after driving awhile, settles down to 90, then 70. Sitting at a light it drops to 50, then back to 80; all at highway speeds.

Thank you. I admire your patience. I'm sure after nearly ten years of answering the same questions, you'd like to strangle some people.

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
The moment you successfully save your newest bin/datalog, it is placed in a designated folder. Note that folder's name ahead of time while you're choosing a title for the new bin/datalog, or when it is automatically incremented, just in case you have trouble finding it later on. When you have successfully saved a new bin/datalog, you will then add an attachment when replying to one of these threads by clicking on add attachment, attachment/file type, then scroll through your folders in which you jotted down earlier to find the bin/datalog location if the system doesn't find it for you, then simply highlight it and attach it. Attaching the .dat files will be tricky, but doable. I would host it elsewhere then provide the link here for it to download, or the easiest way is to email it directly to a member.
Ahh, I didn't realize this forum supported these types of files. I saw some people posting .zips and .txt but I don't remember seeing a .bin. Then again, most threads I've read have been talking about "$61" and other similar stuff. Which, as far as I understand, have nothing to do with EBL but Prom burning instead.

For future reference what website would host the .dat file? Just any hosting site i.e fileshack, megaupload, etc? Those are now shut down, shows how long I've been out of file sharing haha

Last edited by 91c1500; 11-25-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 91c1500
I thought about the knock count thing being a one off similar to how it'll register knocks at key on-engine off but wasn't sure.
You shouldn't be getting any knock counts at key-on, engine-off. At cranking some counts can show up from the noise, but for the most part we corrected that in the EBL ECM firmware.

Should I revert back to the Vortec spark table and start from scratch? It seems, I'm only in those cells for the first 30 seconds after starting and it idles fine. No more than 100 rpm fluctuation.
Yes to using the Vortec SA tables. Both the main table and the extended table.

I usually do VE learns in realtime -not through a playback. The read/program files should be staggered, correct? If you do VE learns during playback, it should be the same, yes?
Doing VE Learns real time versus playback will have the same results. I'm not sure what you mean by this, "read/program files should be staggered." On the WUD Flash display a program sends the BIN to the ECM to flash it in.

A read has the ECM send the BIN to your laptop to be stored/saved. This is how to read BINs out of the ECM.

I understand the DC% should be less than 85%, does the VE learn eventually take care of this? If not how do I bring it down?
Will need to increase the injector flow rate. This can be done by increasing the fuel pressure or installing larger injectors.

What is aPW? It doesn't move at all.
Async injection pulse width.

Last question. What is an acceptable number of stps for the IAC, both idle and highway speeds. Mine start at 140 at idle, after driving awhile, settles down to 90, then 70. Sitting at a light it drops to 50, then back to 80; all at highway speeds.
Set the idle stop screw to obtain between 5 & 10 steps on a warm engine in park. This is with no other loads on the engine.

RBob.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:38 AM

I don't want to double post so I'm editing this post again. Hopefully someone looks in here soon.

Anyway, I bumped the fuel pressure to 16psi. I then changed the BPC vs VAC accordingly. Now, what would cause the BLMs to be 128 and idle but 150 at cruising speeds? INT stays between 127 and 132. It didn't start this until I bumped the fuel pressure and pretty much restarted the tune completely.

Vacuum lines are new and in good shape. I think it might be an exhaust leak at the header flange where it goes to the pipe since it's upstream from the o2 sensor. I don't hear a leak though.

EDIT: I think I've got all the kinks worked out. All of them were user error, I never thought it'd take me this long to get everything straightened out. I had an exhaust leak so I tightened the bolts and I also let it learn while I was driving. I don't think the learns while driving affected it, only that it allowed it to bring the tables down quicker. The only reason I think that is because I was putting the VE tables back to stock every other learn since I didn't like it running lean like that. Now that I have an idea of what I'm doing, it should be easier.

Last edited by 91c1500; 12-04-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been working with AE lately between 1000 and 2000 RPM during wide-open throttle from a dead stop.

And I've learned something interesting- to quote Grumpy, "give it what it wants" for my combination means that as AE and PE intersect at those low RPMs that dropping from 14.7 right to 12.7 AFR is to lean for those first few moments. Seems to like 11s for that quick transitional moment a lot better as it goes through first gear. After that it moves to 12.2 and is very happy.

12.7 seems to be a little too lean for its liking as it first goes into PE with AE at the same time.

I was thinking the drop to high 10s and 11s was too rich. No, when I finally got the AE to hit 12.7 the datalog showed the rpms seemed sluggish during the AE / PE overlap as compared to the other datalogs.

So I have rolled back the settings for AE / PE to where it would go 11s momentarily in the transition spot.

This is what I really like about EBL- the ability to do stuff like that... roll back a BIN. If I was burning chips- I'd be broke with as many permutations of my tune as I have made.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:40 PM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.0 LB9
Transmission: 700-r
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Greetings,,

I have a couple questions, Ive searched with a number of terms and just cant seem to find the info i need,,

I only have "BST - BPC vs Boost" with 2 bar and 3 bar all BST tables are listed as 2 bar and 3 bar ,,, is this correct

also Ive been looking for info on adding a Intake air temp sensor , pin to use and simple schematic would be great,as my harness had no provision for one

its running great as long as its at 175 degrees or better !

Im a total noob to tuning , but its went pretty good, runs strong, part throttle is at least as good as the stock dinosaur ecm ,, but when its cold its pretty ugly

many thanks Rail

Last edited by Railguy; 12-10-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Railguy
I only have "BST - BPC vs Boost" with 2 bar and 3 bar all BST tables are listed as 2 bar and 3 bar ,,, is this correct
Need to use the XDF parameter entry that matches the MAP sensor in use. Both entries work on the same table, just that the MAP KPa scaling is different between them.

also Ive been looking for info on adding a Intake air temp sensor , pin to use and simple schematic would be great,as my harness had no provision for one

many thanks Rail
First sheet:

http://dynamicefi.com/EBL_Drawings.php

RBob.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:23 PM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.0 LB9
Transmission: 700-r
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Thanks RBOB,,

I was under the impression i was running a 1 bar MAP ,its the stock GM for 95 Vin K 5.7 liter trucks,

I plugged in the numbers from the utility into it regardless right after install, but was looking today and noticed the scale is pretty high starts at 100 KPa

do i need to get a 2 bar map ?

thanks Rail
Old 12-11-2015, 09:34 AM

When running a 1-bar MAP the BST BPC tables aren't used. And no need to go to a 2 or 3 bar MAP unless you are boosting the engine. This is why the BST BPC table starts at 100 KPa, above that is boost.

Boost is the air being compressed and 'force fed' into the engine.

RBob.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans am
Engine: 350 Vortec Stealth Ram
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 02 SS Torsen Zexel 3.42

New to tuning here. Just got my EBL in yesterday and worked out some initial bugs. What values would I need to change for the idle when I am shifting? It's a vortec 350 with a T-5. Whenever I go to shift the rpm drops immediately. I also noticed on the WUD the TCC light is on, would that cause anything?

Name:  tcc%20wud_zpsw3xd8noa.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  128.5 KB
Old 12-26-2015, 01:03 PM
TGO Supporter

throttle follower values. That may be in IAC steps. There may also be a need to change TF-AE to compensate for the TF IAC change to maintain A/F after event.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:36 PM

What Ronny said about the IAC throttle follower (TF). Can control the rate that the RPM drops on a throttle lift shift by adjusting the TF values. Slow the decay and/or increase the amount of TF.

As for the TCC being active, that is the reverse lockout feature. When the ECM is set for a stick shift the TCC output is used for reverse lockout.

RBob.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the insight. Still trying to learn all the tables and names. I see quite a few IAC-TF tables to be changed. Which one should I be focused on?

Old 12-26-2015, 06:59 PM
TGO Supporter

You bet. I would not concern about it! Actually I will address his in Spring in my tune...

RBob: I am now Port Fuel.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ronny
You bet. I would not concern about it! Actually I will address his in Spring in my tune...
Not sure what you mean here. I made changes to the TF Decay Filters and Delay but no change. Previously I disabled the DFCO as I read it can be harsh on stick cars. Now going from first to second seems to be the only shift that has a stumble, other gears seem fine.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:55 AM
TGO Supporter

I meant I still have stock TF values in tune(LT4). I will see if my car also loses rpm on shift. I just recently went to a SP PF manifold so maybe I need to add some to hold rpm.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM

Car: 1990 Silverado
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Auburn

I have a different question about Duty Cycle. I have read the last 82 pages of this thread over the past 6 months and used the 3001.bin for my base tune with this camshaft. RBob has given me some help on base settings for closed loop and after correcting some other fuel system design problems I have the truck running pretty nice. I am running 30 psi fuel pressure and not using the vacuum reference on the fuel pressure regulator. I set my BPC at 130 which would be for #80 injector at 14 psi fuel pressure. On wide open acceleration I am hitting the 80 to 84% range at 5200 RPM. I am only at 60 on the VE table at that point but if I lower the BPC the duty cycle gets higher. So as long as you VE tables are in control range and your DC% is below 85% is the base pulse width a concern?

-1990 Chevy Silverado long bed standard cab.
-5.7 bored .30 over, stock compression pistons (dished with valve relief), Trickflow Super 23 195 cc cylinder heads with 62cc chambers, Edelbrock 7104 intake manifold with a heated exhaust crossover and a Trans Dapt TBI adapter plate, 1989 7.4 TBI throttle body with 80 lb injectors, Aeromotive 13301 VRFPR, Comp Cam 12-211-2 with 224 duration at .50" lift, lobe separation 110* and intake centerline 106. lift on cam with 1.6 roller rockers is 0.501". AIT sensor, 700r4 with 2600 stall converter and running a 195 degree thermostat.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Book1.pdf (22.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 12-28-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by rwright92
I have a different question about Duty Cycle. I have read the last 82 pages of this thread over the past 6 months and used the 3001.bin for my base tune with this camshaft. RBob has given me some help on base settings for closed loop and after correcting some other fuel system design problems I have the truck running pretty nice. I am running 30 psi fuel pressure and not using the vacuum reference on the fuel pressure regulator. I set my BPC at 130 which would be for #80 injector at 14 psi fuel pressure. On wide open acceleration I am hitting the 80 to 84% range at 5200 RPM. I am only at 60 on the VE table at that point but if I lower the BPC the duty cycle gets higher. So as long as you VE tables are in control range and your DC% is below 85% is the base pulse width a concern?

-1990 Chevy Silverado long bed standard cab.
-5.7 bored .30 over, stock compression pistons (dished with valve relief), Trickflow Super 23 195 cc cylinder heads with 62cc chambers, Edelbrock 7104 intake manifold with a heated exhaust crossover and a Trans Dapt TBI adapter plate, 1989 7.4 TBI throttle body with 80 lb injectors, Aeromotive 13301 VRFPR, Comp Cam 12-211-2 with 224 duration at .50" lift, lobe separation 110* and intake centerline 106. lift on cam with 1.6 roller rockers is 0.501". AIT sensor, 700r4 with 2600 stall converter and running a 195 degree thermostat.
I forgot to include this attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Book2.pdf (44.4 KB, 163 views)
Old 12-29-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by rwright92
On wide open acceleration I am hitting the 80 to 84% range at 5200 RPM. I am only at 60 on the VE table at that point but if I lower the BPC the duty cycle gets higher. So as long as you VE tables are in control range and your DC% is below 85% is the base pulse width a concern?
If you lower the BPC without changing the VE table, the BLM will increase. When above 128 it is also used in the PE mode fueling calculation. This is turn will increase the PW. Which may be why you are seeing higher duty cycles.

According to the WB in the data log the AFR is rather rich at WOT.

RBob.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:06 PM

Thanks RBob. I am fine tuning on the AFR at WOT. In my last sentence I said base pulse width but meant base pulse count. So as long as the VE tables are below 100% and the lower end in a controllable range and the DC is below 85% Base Pulse Count I understand the actual base pulse count number itself is not a concern.
Once I get the fine tuning completed, if the DC% has room to allow it I will increase the BPC some if it looks to be worth the trouble of adjusting the VE tables. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am/85 K5 Jimmy
Engine: 406 FIRST/350 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600/700R4
Axle/Gears: 9Bolt/10Bolt front & back

Quick crank/startup question on my TPI setup in my truck. Quick run down on it, 1985 K5 Jimmy with a roller late 80s Vette short block, iron heads (stock, not from vette), with a stock TPI setup on top. Has the 350 injectors. I made a stand alone harness for it as well as removed all the smog components. EBL Flash with a base 3005 bin with EGR and CCP unchecked. No other changes to tune. Once started it runs just fine. Even without running an o2 currently, so its all open loop. Runs/drives fantastic.

My problem comes when I try to start it. Cold starts it comes to life almost instantly. No issues there. If I go somewhere for just a few minutes and then start it back up it starts without a problem. But for instance this morning I drove it in to work. It sat from 7:30am to 12:00pm and it wouldn't start without me keeping the pedal to the floor (clear flood mode). It then starts with a very rich smell. So I believe I need to reduce my crank - afr correct?

I've never not been able to start it because of this. Going into clear flood always gets it started. It is just annoying, one reason I did this upgrade was to ease starting and it is now the one issue I have with it.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:11 AM

I wonder if the injectors are leaking, flooding the cylinders?

> So I believe I need to reduce my crank - afr correct?

You would want to increase it to lean it out. There is also the prime PW that can cause a rich cranking AFR. Since the cold start and hot start are OK, work on the tables in the temperature range of the issue.

RBob.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am/85 K5 Jimmy
Engine: 406 FIRST/350 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600/700R4
Axle/Gears: 9Bolt/10Bolt front & back

I wonder if the injectors are leaking, flooding the cylinders?

> So I believe I need to reduce my crank - afr correct?

You would want to increase it to lean it out. There is also the prime PW that can cause a rich cranking AFR. Since the cold start and hot start are OK, work on the tables in the temperature range of the issue.

RBob.

Your right. Increase it, was thinking lowering fuel in my head. I messed around some after lunch yesterday with the tune and adjusted the crank afr. Starting it when leaving here it didn't start as fast as a hot/cold start but did eventually stumble to life with still some rich smell. Went to the gym was there 2hrs and it started right up. Went and got a haircut, no issues. Went to the grocery store and again no issues. So it appears I took the right direction with it. Next time I drive it (generally just when snow hits during winter) I will watch it and see how it does.

On the leaking injector possibility, most all of this TPI setup came off my motor in the Trans Am after I upgraded to a FIRST intake setup. Including the injectors. I don't recall having any startup issues with the TA, other then some cold weather startup issues. But that was because of other issues and running a far from stock tune/motor.

Thanks for the help as usual sir. If you or anyone runs across a used EBL Flash ecm I might be interested. It gets annoying having to swap my ECM from the TA to the truck or visa versa when I want to drive them.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:12 PM

Car: 95' K1500 4X4
Engine: 383 Chevy w/ Fast Burn Heads
Transmission: 4L60E

I had converted to VRFPR, running at 22psi, and have been working on my tuning. I have taken several datalogs and am continuing to have areas of going very rich. The things that seemed obvious to changer were the BPC, AE, DE, and injector offsets. What other factors should I be looking at?

I have another questions on DFCO. I haven't ever seen it activated. I have looked through the other Bin files and they seem to have the same limits. I think the problem might be that the limits for MPH and RPM don't match for my application. Should I move the RPMs to match where the 40 to 45mph is for my application? I have an over drive automatic.

Is DFCO additive to the DE enleanment factor or does DFCO trump it when active? Curious on how to fix my rich condition after letting off throttle, so any other pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited by dbesko1; 01-30-2016 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Adding Questions
Old 01-31-2016, 08:38 AM

> areas of going very rich.

The proportional gains likely need ot be adjusted.

DFCO overrides DE, the fuel injector PW is set to zero.

As for it never being active, yes, you can change the RPM/MPH parameters. Just be careful of going too low in those values as stalling can result.

RBob.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 AM

Engine: L03 TBI with EBL.

Dear All,
This is awesome Post!!!. The amount of information is massive!!. I was not able to read the 82 pages but regardles of the page I read, always something useful. Thanks all for sharing.
Here is my 2 cents.
What needs to be changed when VE tables reach the maximum of 100 and it still to lean?
I made myself a little xls to help me see the data and here is how it looks like

Wide band mean values of all the data adquired. more data more precise. Red is too rich, green to lean and middle 14.7

Tuner Pro data, Both areas, the lean and the rich are spotted. Rich it could be easily seen, the surrounding data is off, it was not needed the xls to see this but at least tells me that it is working.

So, If I need more fuel on the green area, how do I fix that?

Thanks to all,

T
Old 02-12-2016, 01:02 PM

Increase the values in the BPC vs VAC table by 20%, then lower the VE table values by the same 20%. Easy to do by highlighting all entries and using the multiply function in TunerPro.

RBob.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Engine: L03 TBI with EBL.

Thanks RBob!... Ill do that and post the results!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 PM

Hey Everyone! I've tried reading through as much as I can, and I'm a little stumped. Attached is my most recent datalog, I've been trying to adjust the AE-MAP/TPS PW tables and don't know if I'm doing this correctly.

Any advice to help wake this beast up would be appreciated.

Build is as follows:

383 - 18cc Dish Pistons, Vortec Heads, 54 mm BBC TB, Comp Cam 8-502-8, EBL Flash, Open Air Intake, Vortec Fuel Pump, 90# Injectors (5235231) with 18 psi spring.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv
WOT_Datalog.csv (1.14 MB, 112 views)

Last edited by darksurfer11; 03-22-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Best for AE tables is a wide band. I would start rich on AE and work to lean. When too lean it will pop out of TB. Too rich and it will gurgle and sluggish. "Intro to tuning" is very helpful on RBobs site. Note the AE filters available. When I was TBI I had similar values for AE Map and AE TPS.

Fueling for TBI AE was a struggle for me. Transport delay was a factor. Same on a large TB on a 350. Prop gains needs to be reasonably close.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:55 PM

I am currently running the TT-1 WB from RBob, when tuning the AE PW tables, when I increase values does that make it more rich or lean?

Am I shooting for about 12.8 or keep it stoich at 14.7?

Also, I've read a lot on the Prop gains tables, which ones doe I need to modify?

I can upload my current .bin and more datalogs if that helps.

Last edited by darksurfer11; 03-22-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 AM

I have a question about idle speed. How aggressively does the software seek its target idle speed? What I'm seeing is that with a warm engine, when I switch to park, it seems to hang at a fairly high idle (about 1000 RPM) longer than I expect and slowly walks down to my set idle speed of around 750 RPM. I think it take 5-10 seconds to get all the way there. I also have a switch set up to tell the EBL to boost the idle to around 1200 and it also takes a really long time to walk up to that speed.

I recently swapped in a freshly rebuilt throttle body from RV Morse and I can't say for certain if it had this behavior before. If this is normal, then I don't really mind it. If not, any ideas where I should look? Something weird with IAC?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by darksurfer11
I am currently running the TT-1 WB from RBob, when tuning the AE PW tables, when I increase values does that make it more rich or lean?
Increasing the PW tables adds more fuel (richer).

Am I shooting for about 12.8 or keep it stoich at 14.7?
If going into PE mode then 12.8 is OK. If this is tip-in without going into PE, look at the INT, if dropping then too much AE.

Also, I've read a lot on the Prop gains tables, which ones do I need to modify?
I generally work with the prop gain versus airflow.

RBob.

Quick Reply: Tuning with the EBL