DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Several Memcal/prom questions... Please review.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several Memcal/prom questions... Please review.

Tim,Grumpy, anybody!,

Ok, First off. I have an 87iroc(see the sig). Anyways, I'm eager to get the prom burning started. I've run into some snags. I have the pocketprogrammer,data2 eraser and 3 blank eproms from jdr. Holding off on the tunercat until late string when the car is finish(body work and most mechanical bugs worked out). Anyways. I started by removing the stock 305tpi memcal and prom. Desoldered that, tried to put in a socket, didn't work. Messed up the memcal in the process. Finally got the orignal chip working after i soldered that in, so thats good. Then i got a second memcal from an 89vette 6-speed. Desoldered that prom, got the zif socket that Tim used. Got that soldered in great, ohmed all possible connections for the most part. Everything looked good.
So i start by buring a vats disabled copy of the 89 vette prom to use in the 89memcal i just got. Got the prom image burned and everything checked out and verified OK. I tried it in the car and didn't have any luck so i tried my orignal 305tpi memcal, and it worked fine. So through trial and error i find that something isn't right in my 89memcal with the zif socket, so i try a couple more proms with it. Still no luck. While doing all of this i my stupid self leave the cover off of my stock 305 prom while its soldered in the memcal not thinking anything of it. After working with my 89memcal off and on for a week or two i decide that i had better try the trusty ol working orignal memcal, so i did. Now that wasn't working(so i assume some of its erased). Not thinking anything could be wrong with the ol trusty memcal i decide to see whats going on with my ECM. So i find one of those, luckily the one i found had a stock never molested memcal/prom. I hooked that up. Worked like a charm other than it being an 89setup and having vats!
So now that i know i have a working memcal again that has vats that is useless to me i am totally lost here... completely stumped.
I've tried to erase my stock 87prom also, i have left it in the eraser for well over 15-30minutes at time. It just won't erase. I've successfully erased the eproms i bought, that isn't a problem so i know the eraser works ok. Keep in mind the 87prom is still attached to the memcal , not that it would make a difference.

My initial thoughts at this point are.
1. Do i have the wrong eproms(they say AM2/C128)?.

2. Could i have possibly messed up my 89memcal somehow? or maybe a connection somewhere isn't "quite" working?

3. Any ideas to why i can't get my 87prom to erase(yea i took of the cover on the quartz window :P)?

4. I'm all of out ideas!, i'm sure i've left some variables out of this problem i'm having. Ask me and i'll answer anything!

Thanks guys,

Brendan

------------------
1987 IROC-Z L98,SuperRam,EB 6085's,LPE 219/219 Roller, Crane 1.6RR, EB TPI Base, 58mm TB, ADS 24#, AFPR, K&N, EB TES, Catco Cat, 3" Borla Cat-Back, Accel cap,rotor,distro/other crap, MSD 6AL, MSD Blaster 3, Aluminum DS, 94 Disk Rear, Adjustable Valve, Precision 3.73 Gears, Sub-Frame Connectors, Hotchkis Lower Control Arms, KYB Shocks/Struts, Suspension Techniques Lowering Springs, Polyurethan Bushings all over the place, Moog Upper/Lower Ball joints and Tie Rods ends/Idler Arm,

To see the ROC, Check out the webpage Here
Old 03-01-2001, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Guys,
Since i last posted i've spent some time rewriting and rewriting bins on the erpoms i have. I haven't had any luck. I've also went over all of the pins on my ZIF socket. Everything looks good. I ran out of ideas and things to try so i got bold(probly stupid). I downloaded the prom image of the 89 prom that was working(giving me diagnostic mode).And pulled the cover on the prom. I erased that and then tried to write several images onto it. They all say they wrote fine. But still didn't work on the car at all. So i wrote the STOCK image that i downloaded from the chip and thats doesn't work either... so i am kinda baffeled now!...
any ideas? Sounds like my pocketprogrammer isn't working?
Oh and the 89 formally working chip is a 27C256 chip? I thought 256 chips were only on speed density systems???

The settings i tried on the pocket programmer are as followed.

*with the erpoms i bought = option 10(27c128 at 12.5volts.) Still didn't work

*with the 89memcal that was working fine = option 11(27c256 at 12.5volts). I also tried 27c128 but that would not write. Got failure to program error messages.

Old 03-02-2001, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 w/TransGo
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73s
Try checking your ZIF socket over once more. Look for defects in the manufacture of the contacts that hold the Eprom pins. I had 4 sockets on 1 side and 2 on the other that were bridged across each other. It cause all kinds of problems!!! It was a cheap socket from Digikey, in my opinion. I fixed it with an exacto knife. You can check it with an ohmeter, or may have to look under a microscope.

One other note on programming 27c128 eproms, you may have to use 21volts to get the code to program. I tried 12.5volts at first, but that didn't work. I think the help files tell you to start out with low voltages at first, then go up until the code actually burns in.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Best ET 14.413 @95.57 without
pulling valve covers or manifolds.
Also with stock 2.77 rear end!!!
Old 03-02-2001, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Mike/anybody else thats been keeping up on this,

I don't know if you posted before i started working on the car tonight, but i just got home(car is about 10miles away). I tried SEVERAL different chip combos again. Although i think the problem is fixed. i'll need to fix that ZIF socket properly but i have it rigged right now and the 89vette 6-speed Disabled VATS works like a charm!, i was ****ting a brick!!
Its all good now. Or i hope anyways.

Thanks everyone for ideas,

Brendan

------------------
1987 IROC-Z L98,SuperRam,EB 6085's,LPE 219/219 Roller, Crane 1.6RR, EB TPI Base, 58mm TB, ADS 24#, AFPR, K&N, EB TES, Catco Cat, 3" Borla Cat-Back, Accel cap,rotor,distro/other crap, MSD 6AL, MSD Blaster 3, Aluminum DS, 94 Disk Rear, Adjustable Valve, Precision 3.73 Gears, Sub-Frame Connectors, Hotchkis Lower Control Arms, KYB Shocks/Struts, Suspension Techniques Lowering Springs, Polyurethan Bushings all over the place, Moog Upper/Lower Ball joints and Tie Rods ends/Idler Arm,

To see the ROC, Check out the webpage Here