DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Possible tuning tip for Miniram/LT1/LT4 tip-in stumble

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts
Possible tuning tip for Miniram/LT1/LT4 tip-in stumble

I think I may have <ahem> "stumbled" () across something that may help people with the dreaded throttle tip-in stumble on these types of manifolds. Forgive me if this is already common knowledge....

I started taking notice of the fact that very small changes in TPS produced large MAP deltas (at low throttle positions). This is particularly apparent around idle speeds (when the tip-in stumble is generally the worst). So I went to the AE table entitled "Accel Enrich Delta MAP Factor Multiplier vs TPS". For small TPS values, 0% & 12.5% in the table, I richened up the multiplier by 15% at 0%TPS and 10% at 12.5%TPS. My thinking was that at idle, the absolute throttle position is zero and at just barely off idle (where the stumble generally occurs) the it's somewhere between zero and 12%. So I figured could target just the off idle transition by increasing the overall AE vs delta MAP for just these two throttle positions. Now, unless I'm mistaken, the TPS% in this table is NOT a delta TPS, but rather it's the absolute TPS. For example, 0% is closed throttle and 12.5% is 12.5% throttle (NOT a 12.5% change in throttle position).

Any rate, test driving it produced a noticeable results in that the throttle feels particularly more crisp coming off idle. It was pretty damn good before using the $DA3 AE tables, but this little mod almost makes it perfect. I'm still going to play around with it a little more to see if there's any more improvement to be had, but I like the results I'm seeing so far. My '06 Pontiac Vibe commuter car has a VERY crisp off idle transition so I'm kind of using that as my goal. I'm almost there... Though I'm not sure if I'll get there until I completely solve my rough idle issue (I just hope I don't have to start from scratch on the tuning when and if I do).

Last edited by ULTM8Z; 07-29-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Re: Possible tuning tip for Miniram/LT1/LT4 tip-in stumble

Great stuff.

Please keep any future "Miniram/LT1" intake tuning tips you develop within this single post and later I'll try collecting this (and other Miniram/LT1) tuning tips together and add it to the "Tuning Guide" in the sticky section.

I believe it is posts like this that people are often looking for, but have difficulty finding.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E

If you are talking about the $8D code then this is true. I played around with it quite a bit last year getting the transition from N/A to boost right. It also plays a big role at low throttle settings. One thing to keep in mind is that MAP AE is sync and TPS AE is async. I tried removing as much async as possible. LT1 intake here.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
Great stuff.

Please keep any future "Miniram/LT1" intake tuning tips you develop within this single post and later I'll try collecting this (and other Miniram/LT1) tuning tips together and add it to the "Tuning Guide" in the sticky section.

I believe it is posts like this that people are often looking for, but have difficulty finding.
I'll try to remember that.
----------
Originally Posted by junkcltr
If you are talking about the $8D code then this is true. I played around with it quite a bit last year getting the transition from N/A to boost right. It also plays a big role at low throttle settings. One thing to keep in mind is that MAP AE is sync and TPS AE is async. I tried removing as much async as possible. LT1 intake here.
You know, I still don't get the sync vs async thing...

And yes... $8D.

Last edited by ULTM8Z; 08-01-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I tried some different values (higher and lower) for this particular AE table "Accel Enrich Delta MAP Factor Multiplier vs TPS" and didn't see anymore improvement. It would appear I discovered the optimum setting on the first try- richened up the multiplier by 15% at 0%TPS and 10% at 12.5%TPS! Not that I'm complaining...
Old 06-05-2015, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Corvette
Engine: 415
Transmission: six speed
Axle/Gears: Dana44 3.73

Hi

this thread is pure gold!

i tried ever to solve the low throttle stumble when taking off really slowly..

58mm TB here, single plane...when i step on the gas very light, AFR went up to 16, car stumbling, good feelable through the M/T

i uppended the first value to 1.09, second to 1.05, all other to 1

also, set the AE delta TPS scale factor to .200 (previous .125)

now, no more stumble, just a nice dip down to AFR 13, getting rolling is very smooth now

thank you for your research!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

Wow, old thread resurrected!

But cool, glad it worked out for you. I've learned A LOT while tuning on this Miniram both from trial and error as well as from knowledgeable people on this board.