DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

1990 Y Body (Corvette) Data Acquisition Errors

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Y Body (Corvette) Data Acquisition Errors

Just purchased the ALDU1 and CABL1 along with an Ostrich2 and a Burn2, the HDR1, and TunerPro v5. Used the Burn2 to read my stock memcal, pushed it onto the Ostrich, installed in computer and all is well with that part. The problem comes with large amounts of errors when trying to acquire data. Also the data that is acquired is blinking up wild numbers that cannot be correct, as if the data stream is not sized properly. I've read through the forums and saw others putting a silence into the macro but I have had no luck doing so. The way I understand it, you create the command anywhere under the command indent area, then you place it into the macro for it to be executed. I've done so without luck. I've also tried three different ADX's, one of which had the pause included. I saw another poster who increased their pause to 93ms and I did this as well but it did not fix the problems. I verified communication with the ADLU1 as well (Com 6 on my laptop). On a whim, I installed TunerPro v4 to a seperate directory and it can datalog just fine, so it is clearly something in my ADX files. I've seen bits and pieces from people saying that 1990/1991 Y Bodies don't datalog properly because the ALDL stream also drives the dashboard but I don't know if that is just idle chatter or gospel truth. I saw a post telling me that the dump request data size is too small and that it should be changed from 63 bytes to 67 bytes, I made this change but still encountered errors. I am a tuning neophyte but I am the head Network Admin for my company so I can handle the computing bits OK, don't be afraid to get too technical on the PC side. Any help regarding this problem is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Here's the first ADX I tried:

Name:  jpgood.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  69.8 KB

And the second ADX I tried that included the pause:
Name:  1v1.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  102.8 KB

I've also attached the ADX files I used but I changed the extensions to *.txt.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
$8D-1227730-V1.1.txt (95.8 KB, 126 views)
JPsgood.txt (194.8 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by captainkawasaki; 05-18-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Fixed the Pics
Old 05-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: 1990 Y Body (Corvette) Data Acquisition Errors

It's been a while, but IIRC, need to tell the CCM to stop querying the ECM for data. That is really the only difference between the y & f body set ups using $8D while trying to data log.

Note that both your pic's are the same.

RBob.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 PM

Oops yes both pics are the same. I had to get the post in during break...
Thank you for the reply. I stumbled across ADX from an old ScannerPro user where Gunnar sends 0xF1 0x56 0x08 0xB1 to silence the CCM and then sends a dump request (0xF4 0x56 0x01 0xB5). Those commands are sent during the connection phase. Unfortunately there was one other command that appears to have been deleted in the ADX that came before the SilenceCCM is sent.
I took bits of several posts and now have a connection macro that will send the Silence CCM (0xF1 0x56 0x08 0xB1) and then will do a 1200ms timeout. This connection macro repeats 5 times just in case there was noise on the line when the first request gets sent.
The monitor macro sends the dump request (0xF4 0x56 0x01 0xB5), then listens for the reply (size 67, payload 63, offset 3, timeout 200), and ends with a 10ms timeout.
I restart the CCM at disconnect with 0x56 0x56 0x09 0xB0.
Just wrapped everything up this evening and will give it a shot tomorrow morning and will report in. Thanks for the help thus far--GD
Attaching googly-eyed emoticon of crazy person here for my daughter--
Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 AM

No go on my current datalogging setup. I took a log with TTS Datamaster after setting the Disable Dash and Disable CCM flags. If anyone can give me the bytes that I need to disable dash/ccm I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks--GD
Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 PM

My understanding is that you have the correct command: 0xF1 0x56 0x08 0xB1

That is to silence the CCM. The 1200 msec timeout may be too long. I know that the ECM will timeout after a while and go back to normal.

RBob.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM

So I should include the SilenceCCM command in the normal monitoring macro? Also, does anyone know if I should be silencing the dash as well and if so, how? Thanks in advance--GD
Free remote PC tech support to anyone that straightens me out!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 PM

Just in case anyone else is googling/foruming in vain trying to get TunerPro V5 to datalog on a 1990/1991 Corvette I've attached my working ADX file. I started with JeepsAndGuns edit of Mark Mansur's $8D-1227730 and copy/pasted James93LT1's Connection macro into it. The connection macro silences the CCM and the ABS and lets me get 100% connection rate. Only caveat is that the vehicle must be running (key-on-engine-off is not good enough). I also did not bother to copy the Disconnection macro since when I'm done datalogging I just shut the car off which reset the CCM/ABS silences. Hopefully the ADX will work as well for others as it does for me. --GD

I changed the file extension from .ADX to .TXT, be sure to change back to .ADX before use with TunerPro
Attached Files
$8D-1227727-1990Corvette.txt (97.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 05-22-2013, 10:48 AM

The fact that the engine needs to be running is interesting. This is to get the CCM to go quiet? I thought that the ABS system was passive, IOW, it needs to be queried before it would transmit anything, apparently not.

The optional electronic climate control panel also ties into the ALDL stream.

RBob.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 PM

If you are key-on-engine-off and you run the connect macro you still shut up all the aldl traffic and you can datalog. Problem is that as soon as the engine cranks some of the chatter starts back up again, I assume because the ballast resistor is shutting some stuff off somewhere and when it re-powers it starts jabbering away. On my climate control panel, the OFF light starts flashing steadily after the connect macro is run. Don't know about the ABS, I just know that my ADX finally works and I'm happy! I now have a serial port monitor in my arsenal and if you are interested I can bridge and capture the traffic on the ALDL line and upload.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 PM

It may be that the CCM shuts down while cranking. Interesting enough that it has battery power (to retain settings), accessory power (off during cranking), and ignition power (hot in run & crank).

RBob.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by captainkawasaki
Just in case anyone else is googling/foruming in vain trying to get TunerPro V5 to datalog on a 1990/1991 Corvette I've attached my working ADX file. I started with JeepsAndGuns edit of Mark Mansur's $8D-1227730 and copy/pasted James93LT1's Connection macro into it. The connection macro silences the CCM and the ABS and lets me get 100% connection rate. Only caveat is that the vehicle must be running (key-on-engine-off is not good enough). I also did not bother to copy the Disconnection macro since when I'm done datalogging I just shut the car off which reset the CCM/ABS silences. Hopefully the ADX will work as well for others as it does for me. --GD

I changed the file extension from .ADX to .TXT, be sure to change back to .ADX before use with TunerPro
OK. While I run the dash and get readings, without something like a Tech1 or my old AutoXray, I can't remember if the values are right for the conditions. The thing that is causing issues is that TPRT keeps going in and out so I don't have confidence. It will be "connecting DA" for a bit then flicker about 1Hz rate between "DA Connected" and "DA Data Error" so I can't be sure it is doing anything right.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Originally Posted by aklim
OK. While I run the dash and get readings, without something like a Tech1 or my old AutoXray, I can't remember if the values are right for the conditions. The thing that is causing issues is that TPRT keeps going in and out so I don't have confidence. It will be "connecting DA" for a bit then flicker about 1Hz rate between "DA Connected" and "DA Data Error" so I can't be sure it is doing anything right.
I've put an updated definition on the TunerPro site (http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadbindefs.htm) that better handles the CCM silencing for 90-92 Y-bodies.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mangus
I've put an updated definition on the TunerPro site (http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadbindefs.htm) that better handles the CCM silencing for 90-92 Y-bodies.
Bad timing for me. My car is in the body shop for some gunk that I must have run over and sprayed on the rocker panel and door. Nothing short of repainting will work. 3 body shops have tried. I'll see it next week. Thanks for the attempt