DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Long, strange journey thru Injector Offsets

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10
Long, strange journey thru Injector Offsets

Last year I started an effort to address fueling on my LT-5 using more accurate IB values for the 21# ACCEL injectors. I have a separate thread on the results of that effort. This thread is about what I learned while going through that process.
What I ended up realizing is that in order to properly tune, not only did I need to address the IB, but I ended up needing to adjust Prop Gains, IAT/CTS table,
TF v TPS% Gain, TF v MPH, along w other TF tables. Thanks to help from people like RBob and others, I found that I had to adjust other parameters beyond just the IB in order to achieve a proper tune and so learned more about using these parameters.

Prop Gains - these needed to be increased significantly. RBob pointed out to me that the INT was oscillating to create the O2 sensor cross counts. This ultimately causes the BLM to vary making it difficult to achieve a stable tune.

IAT/CTS blend - I'd relocated the MAT to the CAI in order to avoid the heat soak.
But until now, I had not modified that table to provide more consistent fueling across the range of Intake Air temps. The result was varying BLMs as Intake Air temps changed. IOW, another parameter that makes it very difficult to reach a proper tune unless this table is correct. Now I have steady BLMs(+/- 2) even as I watch IAT ranging up and down.

Throttle Follower - as a DOHC motor, the LT-5 LOVES to breathe. More air, more power. I wanted to make sure the motor is getting as much air as possible. What I ended up realizing is how the TF affects the responsiveness of the accelerator.
With the changes made, driving the car is much smoother, more consistent and seamless. Choppiness of the throttle seems to have been eliminated. Overall the throttle is much more linear or at least that's how it feels.

Finally, I have been surprised to see that my exhaust tips don't have a sort of sticky sooty coating on them. Even after driving 500miles, you can still see the chrome shine. I just took a look at my spark plugs and they appear to be burning more consistently cylinder to cylinder and not lean. These are consistent with my observation of an increase in gas mileage of 1.5-2mpg.

I started this to say tuning is like pulling on a thread. Sometimes you don't know where it will lead and can be a bit like Rubic's Cube. In the end, the results turn out to be very satisfying. What some, those who are not as familiar w tuning, may not realize is the amount of time, effort and $$ it takes to get it right.
But I would encourage others to jump down that rabbit hole.