DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EBL Help, won't flash!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 02:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1998 Viper/1996 Bronco
Engine: 8.0/7.3
Transmission: T56/ZF5
EBL Help, won't flash!

I recently purchased the EBL system for my 1991 camaro.

To start off, I know NOTHING about tuning or the likes. I've never had a chance to mess with it before. I know some about programming and whatnot, but not for vehicles, so bare with me on my limited knowledge.

The EBL system I purchased was pre installed on an ECM and was supplied with the serial to USB cable. After reading a whole bunch of information, I believed I had everything set and good to for a first run.

However, the EBL system will not flash any bins, so I'm afraid to try to start my car without any bins to read off of.

I tried lowering the latency setting on the serial port all the way down to 2, but it still won't let me flash.

I believe the problem is stemming from elsewhere though. The WUD seems to not recognize any data from my car. When my car is key on, engine off, and I press the throttle, the TPS% sensor does not move. This seems to tell me that there is a communication problem somewhere along the lines from the new ECM to my computer.

I spent about an hour and a half trying to look up situations where the WUD would not receive data from the ECM, but came up with nothing......

Could it be the drivers were installed wrong for the serial to usb cable? I downloaded the self installer according to the PDF instructions supplied with the EBL and everything seemed to go well. I did not use any of the supplied drivers though, because I thought the download did everything for me.

Am I missing a simple step somewhere?

Could the supplied cables potentially not be working? When I plug the cable in, my laptop makes a noise as if it recognizes something was plugged in, but I don't know how to tell if it's reading correctly.

Please, if anyone has any info that may help let me know. I know this EBL setup will be great if I can get it to work... it's pretty depressing that I spent all this money and can't even figure out how to set it up!! Like I said, I tried searching threads and found no info that seems to help me for what's going on which makes me think I'm either being dumb and missing a simple step, or something may be wrong. After spending 4 hours trying to install/research (and in the process finding out my heater core was leaking which is why the install took me a while), I don't think I can figure it out without help.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: EBL Help, won't flash!

Unless you get data from the EBL ECM, it won't flash either. Most likely didn't select the COM port in the WUD. The USB/Serial adapter will be assigned a COM port when plugged into the laptop (same port each time).

The latency setting driver dialog will show which COM port is assigned to the adapter cable. Set that in the WUD via the ALT+F->CommPort... menu selection.

Note that the Intro to Tuning Part 1 on our web site has tutorials on using Tuner Pro and the WUD.

RBob.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I recently switched laptops and on the new laptop the WUD had to be set to Comm Port 4 to see the data, when originally I had it set to Port 2 with the former laptop. Which Comm Ports have you tried so far, just the one...?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 PM

Haha awesome thanks RBob and street lethal. I knew it had to have been something simple.... I didn't have the correct com port selected in the WUD.

It flashed fine after I did that. I checked the device manager and saw I only had one com port so I forgot to check if the WUD display port was reading from that port.

I have read over most of tuning part 1 and 2, but I'll have to keep referencing them for sure.

I think last night I was bummed when I found my heater core was leaking. I was excited to install the EBL, but seeing antifreeze under the dash panel was a big bummer. I then replaced the heater core and it was about 12am, so I must have not been thinking correctly!

I'll now try to get some VE learns done today, I just have to buy some vacuum plugs before I can start to block off my EGR and purge canister while doing them.

Also, I believe I read it somewhere but couldn't find it again, besides disabling the EGR and vacuum purge canister, should I disable the HiWay mode (by setting the minimum MPH really high) when doing VE learns?
Old 04-25-2015, 04:32 PM

Instead of making a new thread, I figured I'd ask in here!

Anyways, my laptops harddrive failed and I lost my BIN files. I didn't do much but I did have about 7 or 8 VE learns which took me about a few days to do.

My question is, is there anyway to recover the BIN file from my car's computer using the What's Up Display?

I re-installed the EBL software on my laptop after getting a new solid state drive for it and it reads the flashed bin on my camaros computer and everything, I just don't know if there is a way to copy it back to my computer.

I supposed redoing the VE learns won't be too bad, but if there is a quicker way to recover the data that would be awesome!
Old 04-25-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Yes, at the Flash display select the 'Flash Bank' to read (0 - 7).

Click the 'Read Bank' radio button.

Click 'Select BIN'

In the dialog that opens navigate to the folder where you want to place the BIN from the EBL ECM. Type in a new BIN file-name and click 'Open'

Key-on, engine-off, click 'Apply'

RBob.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
Yes, at the Flash display select the 'Flash Bank' to read (0 - 7).

Click the 'Read Bank' radio button.

Click 'Select BIN'

In the dialog that opens navigate to the folder where you want to place the BIN from the EBL ECM. Type in a new BIN file-name and click 'Open'

Key-on, engine-off, click 'Apply'

RBob.
Awesome! Thank you so much! I'll definitely do this when I have time tomorrow. I may do some more VE learns now that I have AC installed. I'm not sure if that would change anything really, but I know these R4 compressors take a bit of power to turn, so maybe it effects the volumetric efficiency?

Anyways I'm glad I can recover my bin and any bins in the future if this ever happens again!