DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

LO3 t56 tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
LO3 t56 tuning help

Hey guys I have a 91 Camaro RS with the LO3 and a t56 swap. The motor is stock internally however it has an egr delete, smog delete, open air filter, bumped timing to about 2* advanced, headers, y-pipe, and cat-back. All other mods are mainly suspension and listed below. I have the EBL flash ECM and am looking to get some opinions about where things are right now. I have attached a zip folder with a current datalog and my current bin file so that you can look at it. I am hoping that someone could help me see where I should go from here and what changes I should make. I'm not looking to push my car to the limits right now. Mainly just make sure that it has the best tune to take advantage of what's been done to the car. If you see anything you'd recommend I change I'd appreciate you breaking down for me how you would change it. I am fairly new to this and have only been able to change a couple things outside the VE learns so far. I know I don't have a wideband O2 sensor and that is on my list of future mods but as of right now all I have to work with is the stock one.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
91 RS.zip (3.08 MB, 5 views)
Old 06-05-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: LO3 t56 tuning help

Need some additional VE learns. The BLM is a little low at idle, but bottomed at 108 during cruise.

Also need better coverage, look at the low speed VE table. It shouldn't have the peaks & valleys.

RBob.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 AM

Ok I have run several VE sessions but I will run a couple more. I can do that some this weekend while I'm out of town. I'll also get datalogs so that you can see those as well. Would you recommend I change anything at this point or continue to run VE learns?
Old 06-05-2015, 06:42 PM

Ok so this afternoon my ignition module went out in my brand new distributor. I have that replaced and will get at least one VE learn and datalog done tomorrow afternoon after work so that hopefully you guys can help me get this thing where it needs to be. Rbob, I noticed that you said my BLM was a little low at idle, could this be why my idle is low and if so how do I adjust this to where it should be? Also will running a VE learn help with how badly it bogs down the car when I kick on the AC?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:10 PM

Alright I got a couple more tunes via VE and I also got some data logs. I did change laptops and don't know if either that or having the AC running during my learns changed something. I have attached those files and am curious if you think this is working to fix the problems you saw with my first post. My only remaining concern at this point is whether or not this will fix the low BLM at idle that you mentioned and help how the car reacts from off idle especially with the AC on. The bin labeled newtrans7 is the one that is currently flashed to the EBL and seems to have improved throttle response and torque with the AC on. If you see anything or have any recommendations please let me know.
Attached Files
Bins.zip (7.7 KB, 1 views)
6-6-15.dat.zip (2.51 MB, 2 views)
6-6-15(2).dat.zip (2.59 MB, 66 views)
Old 06-11-2015, 07:22 AM

Alright over the past few days I've gotten some more VE learns done and it seems to be smoothing the car out a lot and she's picked up a good bit in the lower gears. Here are the new bins and data logs in case anyone is interested in taking a look to give me some feedback. The current bin I'm on is newtrans11 and each one is getting progressively better with letting me drive around with the AC on. It's not a total dog in 6th gear anymore .

And Rbob I finally started to realize what you meant by my BLM and looked up some more information on it. Am I correct in saying that the car was running a little rich at idle originally or was it running a little lean? Also I've been watching the low speed VE tables and it has progressively gotten better from what I can see. It looks as though it's slowly but surely smoothing out like you said I need.

I will continue to post some bins as I get them accumulated so that maybe it will work well for someone else that has a similar setup to mine.
Attached Files
New Bins.zip (12.8 KB, 9 views)
6-9 log.zip (2.97 MB, 3 views)
6-10 log.zip (2.47 MB, 8 views)
6-11 log.zip (1.98 MB, 5 views)
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM

I only looked at the latest BIN and data log, it is getting better. Try to get better coverage on the VE table. Such as when on the highway shift down a gear and give the engine some time at a higher RPM.

Vary the MPH some so that the RPM & load (MAP) also change. Hold the throttle steady as you do this.

RBob.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Forgot to mention, you can update the EBL ECM firmware and have it control the T56 lockout feature. It uses the TCC output on pin A7.

RBob.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
I only looked at the latest BIN and data log, it is getting better. Try to get better coverage on the VE table. Such as when on the highway shift down a gear and give the engine some time at a higher RPM.

Vary the MPH some so that the RPM & load (MAP) also change. Hold the throttle steady as you do this.

RBob.
Alright so I did like you said and held the pedal steady at a higher rpm range on a couple of the back roads keeping it above 2500 rpms in 2nd - 5th and shifting at 3500 - 4000. Unfortunately I forgot to data log that run so I don't have any data other than the bin. It looks like that smoothed out my low speed ve table a good bit. I developed a leak in the passenger side header gasket today though too that is causing some power loss. I hope to have that done the next day or two...

I also saw where you mentioned upgrading the firmware on my EBL to work with the lockout function of my t56. What all would that entail, and would it provide any other features to the EBL?
Attached Files
File Type: bin
newtrans13.bin (16.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 AM

Alright here are the last few days worth of bins. I can post data logs if you'd like. The current one I'm using is newtrans17 and it is running way different than when I started. Hopefully before the 4th of July it will be just about all set.
Attached Files
newtrans14.bin (16.0 KB, 10 views)
newtrans15.bin (16.0 KB, 10 views)
newtrans16.bin (16.0 KB, 9 views)
newtrans17.bin (16.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-15-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Es_91rs
I also saw where you mentioned upgrading the firmware on my EBL to work with the lockout function of my t56. What all would that entail, and would it provide any other features to the EBL?
Download the update from our site and decompress it. There is an update utility (Windows program) and instructions to update the EBL ECM. Just takes a minute or two to update the ECM firmware.

Can then remove the current EBL Flash install and double click on the .msi file from the download to install the newer files.

Be sure to read the ECM firmware update instructions completely. It saves and updates your current BINs in the ECM. This version of the EBL firmware corrects some minor issues and adds some new features.

RBob.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
Download the update from our site and decompress it. There is an update utility (Windows program) and instructions to update the EBL ECM. Just takes a minute or two to update the ECM firmware.

Can then remove the current EBL Flash install and double click on the .msi file from the download to install the newer files.

Be sure to read the ECM firmware update instructions completely. It saves and updates your current BINs in the ECM. This version of the EBL firmware corrects some minor issues and adds some new features.

RBob.

Oh boy, well I know what I'm gonna be messing with this weekend.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:21 AM

Ok so I ran into something interesting. I figured out this morning that either my tach is off or the EBL is. I'm more inclined to think that the tach isn't accurate but ya never know. I noticed while glancing at my laptop this morning that the EBL was saying I was somewhere around the 17-1900 rpm range while my tach said I was doing darn near 2500 rpm . So how do I calibrate to get them both on the same page? I'm more inclined to think that the EBL is more accurate than my tach since these cars aren't known for super accurate gauges but what would you recommend that I do? I just can't bring myself to push that thing past "4000 rpm" even though the EBL says I'm only doing about 2800 - 3000.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:38 PM

It is the dash tach that is off. As long as the cylinder count is set correctly in the EBL BIN, the WUD tach is very accurate.

See the electronics board here, up top in the sticky's is a thread on how to fix your dash tach.

RBob.