DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Just burned my first chip, would anyone be able to give it a once over?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3:27
Re: Just burned my first chip, would anyone be able to give it a once over?

Originally Posted by ULTM8Z
For the MAF values in the data, what are the units?

I'm seeing numbers in there anywhere from 1000 to 2500...
Post 23 is the stock, blue MEMCAL. It's a 32B mask. I'm running the ARAP Vette 6E right now. Perhaps I should run an F-Car Bin in the 6E mask. Car runs good with that, but Have a 5 speed now. I switched from the 700R4. Even that shows 160 BLM at idle, but off idle it runs down around 128 to 130. I wonder if that's what happens at idle, because the idle is way high when the diagnostic port is used. Throttle blade is .55 volts but the idle is up over a 1000. I use ALDL for android so I'm not sure what the airflow units are
Old 07-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE
Even that shows 160 BLM at idle, but off idle it runs down around 128 to 130. I wonder if that's what happens at idle, because the idle is way high when the diagnostic port is used. Throttle blade is .55 volts but the idle is up over a 1000. I use ALDL for android so I'm not sure what the airflow units are
(As RBob alluded to earlier) This is describing a vacuum leak.

You're getting air in from somewhere after the MAF sensor. At low total air flow during idle, it's a larger percentage of the total, therefore the lean condition. At higher engine speeds, the leak is a much smaller %, hence it doesn't affect fuel trim as much.

The vacuum leak theory also explains why I'm seeing such low IAC steps while you're idling at almost twice the prescribed idle speed in the stock bin.

Now, when you switch to other masks/bins, other factors may be coming into play. But like I said before, let's get any malfunctions cleared up and the stock memcal running properly prior to starting into other masks/bins.

(this is assuming your MAF of unknown origin is also functioning properly).
Old 07-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Supreme Member

(As RBob alluded to earlier) This is describing a vacuum leak.

You're getting air in from somewhere after the MAF sensor. At low total air flow during idle, it's a larger percentage of the total, therefore the lean condition. At higher engine speeds, the leak is a much smaller %, hence it doesn't affect fuel trim as much.

The vacuum leak theory also explains why I'm seeing such low IAC steps while you're idling at almost twice the prescribed idle speed in the stock bin.

Now, when you switch to other masks/bins, other factors may be coming into play. But like I said before, let's get any malfunctions cleared up and the stock memcal running properly prior to starting into other masks/bins.

(this is assuming your MAF of unknown origin is also functioning properly).

I agree with the theory too. I ran propane all over the engine, and checked my hoses and tubes. Nothing appears to be leaking
Old 07-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Supreme Member

Try this....

Disconnect every vacuum line from the intake manifold and ONLY reconnect the FPR. I think that's the only vacuum operated thing you need to run at idle speed. Then cap off all remaining ports on the manifold. At least you'll eliminate any of the smog/accessory items. Start with the low hanging fruit first.

If that doesn't solve it, disconnect the FPR and cap it off too and see if the idle speed comes down (it'll probably also bring down your BLM in the process).

If that doesn't solve the high idle, you can also get a "poor man's stethescope" (a length of small hose in one ear with an earplug in your other ear) and start probing around listening for sucking sounds around the gasketed flanges.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Try this....

Disconnect every vacuum line from the intake manifold and ONLY reconnect the FPR. I think that's the only vacuum operated thing you need to run at idle speed. Then cap off all remaining ports on the manifold. At least you'll eliminate any of the smog/accessory items. Start with the low hanging fruit first.

If that doesn't solve it, disconnect the FPR and cap it off too and see if the idle speed comes down (it'll probably also bring down your BLM in the process).

If that doesn't solve the high idle, you can also get a "poor man's stethescope" (a length of small hose in one ear with an earplug in your other ear) and start probing around listening for sucking sounds around the gasketed flanges.

I'll do all that in the morning and let you know if I come up with anything. As for the MAF. I bought it new. It's just not OE. It's probably 12 years old but it's never faulted on me, and has around 30,000 miles on it. Cars not driven very often.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

I can't seem to find a vacuum leak. Could base timing be the cause of all this? I'm wondering if maybe my stock balancer has slipped over the years. The rubber is all cracked and small parts of it look extruded. I never really paid much attention to it before. Kind of looking for anything at this point
Old 07-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Can you send me the bin that's currently in the car giving you the 160 at idle and ~130 everywhere else.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Supreme Member

Can you send me the bin that's currently in the car giving you the 160 at idle and ~130 everywhere else.
It's in post 46. I'm not at home but will be soon. I can send it if you're unable to download it.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

I ran a compare between your BIN and a factory ARAP bin and I'm noticing anything suspicious.

However, I still don't like what I'm seeing in the Airflow column in your datalog. It seems like the values are all over the place and seemingly not consistent with engine rpm and TPS value.

I'm not an expert on MAF cars so I can't say for sure if I'm seeing a malfunction or not... You're sure the MAF sensor itself is good, but what about the wiring to the MAF?
Old 07-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

I ran a compare between your BIN and a factory ARAP bin and I'm noticing anything suspicious.

However, I still don't like what I'm seeing in the Airflow column in your datalog. It seems like the values are all over the place and seemingly not consistent with engine rpm and TPS value.

I'm not an expert on MAF cars so I can't say for sure if I'm seeing a malfunction or not... You're sure the MAF sensor itself is good, but what about the wiring to the MAF?
Im toying with the idea of picking up an OE style MAF. I have the one with the circuit board instead of a filament. Here's the new and old Harmonic Balancer. I'd say it slipped. The idle is substantially better now. However I'm still sitting at 160. I'll see what the new MAF does. I can't locate a vacuum leak for the life of me.
Attached Thumbnails Just burned my first chip, would anyone be able to give it a once over?-20150711_125900.jpg  

Last edited by EDGE; 07-11-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

I guess I'm not advocating getting a new MAF just yet. Like I said, I'm not convinced that's the problem yet, and was hoping a more knowledgable MAF guy can look at you data.

But the ARAP bin has the air flow in gm/sec, with a max of 254. And I'm seeing values of over 2000 at idle speeds in the data (but there no units of measure in the column header, so I don't know what those values represent... unless it's millivolts?
Old 07-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member

Do me a favor and take another data log...

This time I want you to:

1.) Idle the car (don't tough the throttle) and hold for say, 30 seconds

2.) Bring the rpm up to say, 2000 rpm then hold for 30 seconds

3.) Go around the block and drive such that you're cruising at say, 2000 rpm and hold steady for 30 seconds. Doesn't matter what gear you're in.

The MAF data just seemed very twitchy to me on previous logs... I want to see what happens during steady state hold at a few operating conditions.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Supreme Member

Do me a favor and take another data log...

This time I want you to:

1.) Idle the car (don't tough the throttle) and hold for say, 30 seconds

2.) Bring the rpm up to say, 2000 rpm then hold for 30 seconds

3.) Go around the block and drive such that you're cruising at say, 2000 rpm and hold steady for 30 seconds. Doesn't matter what gear you're in.

The MAF data just seemed very twitchy to me on previous logs... I want to see what happens during steady state hold at a few operating conditions.
I'll do that. I did go get the Bosch OE Reman MAF. It's now idling at BLM 150, on the stock MEMCAL. I'm going to load in the ARAP and do as you've suggested. Cars running much smoother as well. Quite a noticeable difference.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

Here's a Data log from both the 32B and 6E bin. For some reason now the 6E won't interface and gives me checksum errors. I forced a data log form it, but ALDL won't connect to the ECM when using the 6E. This nonsense just started. The 6E data is most likely very erratic because of this checksum crap. I do think there is an improvement though.
Attached Files
File Type: csv
32B.csv (18.9 KB, 33 views)
6E.csv (1.14 MB, 35 views)

Last edited by EDGE; 07-11-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Supreme Member

Starting to figure out TunerPro better. Here's the MASS data in grams amongst other things
Attached Files
ARAP 3.csv (208.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

You're in BLM Idle cell 0. I did a quick search and it seems to be a somewhat common occurrence when folks change injectors... High BLM's in idle cell 0 and ok everywhere else.

I found this...

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...-blms-way.html

Take a look at the last post.

Maybe do some searching on your own. There are several threads with this lean idle cell 0 thing in 6E. The link I found seemed to be the only one with some sort of solution in it. You may find some stuff with a more exhaustive search.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

You're in BLM Idle cell 0. I did a quick search and it seems to be a somewhat common occurrence when folks change injectors... High BLM's in idle cell 0 and ok everywhere else.

I found this...

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...-blms-way.html

Take a look at the last post.

Maybe do some searching on your own. There are several threads with this lean idle cell 0 thing in 6E. The link I found seemed to be the only one with some sort of solution in it. You may find some stuff with a more exhaustive search.
Will do, and thank you. The car is running better than ever since I replaced the balancer and the MAF. Even the exhaust note changed. Doesn't have that really low boomy almost miss like idle. Nice mid range bark and a burble between shifts. It's a lot of fun so hopefully I get it dialed in so I can put the damn interior back together.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by EDGE
Even the exhaust note changed.
Funny how that works. When I get the tune right on my car, it just sounds right too.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Very interesting read. Thanks for finding that. Identical to my issue. Guess I'll look into this 3 wire 02 mod. A shame, I just installed the new Delco OE single wire too.

As for the timing curve. The one that's in there right now is from a 5.0 liter 5 speed F-Car, and of course the ARAP is a 5.7 liter Vette bin. I understand that the cast iron head can't hold the Vette timing curve, so am I best to leave the 5.0 liter one in place, or am I losing out?

Last edited by EDGE; 07-11-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Supreme Member

Once you're confident with your fueling, go ahead and run the Vette advance curve. If you don't get any knocking or knock retard kicking in, it's perfectly fine. If you do, simply pull timing out in the offending regions until the knock goes away (assuming you don't have a lean spot in that region that's a catalyst for the knocking).
Old 07-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Supreme Member

Once you're confident with your fueling, go ahead and run the Vette advance curve. If you don't get any knocking or knock retard kicking in, it's perfectly fine. If you do, simply pull timing out in the offending regions until the knock goes away (assuming you don't have a lean spot in that region that's a catalyst for the knocking).
I think I'm just going to double check the injector table and lock it down. Seriously, the cars behaving great. Maybe I'll run the Vetted timing once to see how it goes. I pulled a plug and it was text book tan. You mentioned "offending region" Is that something, data wise that I would see? Is it basically a high knock number in correlation to an advance curve in a particular column?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, either in the data or if you simply hear knocking at a particular RPM.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

I added 10% to my Injector table, and bumped the timing to a modified ARAP SA Table. Went for a short drive and at a load of 192 I had a Knock count of 6 and a knock retard of 0. The most I'm seeing in terms of retard is 0.8 degrees at about LV 150. I'm not hearing anything strange either. So if I understand this correctly, The higher number in the Load Variable table or LV, denotes a greater strain on the motor, where pinging is more likely to occur. I'm going to do the 3 wire O2 sensor next. Anyway, I've sent you my current ARAP Bin. If you have a moment to look it over great, if not, no worries. You've
spent enough time on this lol.

*EDIT*

Ended up going for longer more aggresive drive. At 206 LV under pretty hard acceleration the Knock retard is pulling 6 degrees. Is that considered normal? To much? Or should there be absolutely zero timing pulled, and 6 is considered a bad thing. But man does it ever drive good
Attached Files
GTA V13.csv (186.6 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by EDGE; 07-12-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Think I got it, thanks to you and Rob. As per that last post you sent me, with Robs MAF and injector advice, I bumped 3 of the MAF 1 table values up a few points, took my injector values and upped them about 20% in increments. I now idle at around a BLM of 124, and the car tops out at about 135 to 140, but that's rare. Usually hovers around 128 to 130 when it's moving. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

Fantastic! Glad you got worked out. Now go out and enjoy it!!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Fantastic! Glad you got worked out. Now go out and enjoy it!!
One thing I've noticed is how much cooler the engine is running. Before I couldn't even touch the rad support. The heat radiating off the engine was as if you opened and oven door. The blast from opening the hood was ridiculous. Now it's warm under there like every other engine compartment.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I'm sure a lean running engine will run quite warmer.