DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

getting back into eprom tuning after a 10 year hiatus

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 formula
Engine: 350 tpi supercharged
Transmission: 700 r4
getting back into eprom tuning after a 10 year hiatus

so today I rounded a whole bunch of old crap I had in storage from burning chips at least ten years ago,my question is without reinventing the wheel what should I try and salvage and what should I just replace

1)parallel port pocket programmer and floppy disk

2)tunercat floppy disk with 8d software(I think they would upgrade this)

3)diacom plus software kit with cable and 3.5" floppy disk (works on dos if I remember correctly)

4)12 new(old) chips with erase window (don't the new ones electronically erase)

5)chip eraser light

the main issue seems to be all the old technology that was great 15 years ago will not even connect to my new laptop.

so to get back into tuning without giving myself a stroke what should I upgrade to new and what should I try to adapt?

to be perfectly honest I don't think I programmed more than 6 chips 10 years ago even though I have 6- 3 ring binders of information.

should I get a old laptop and start tuning?

so what is my the best way to get back into this? the only car I'm planning on tuning is my 90 tpi fprmula with supercharger and a old 49 chevy I'm planning on putting a 350 tpi/700r4 combo into.

thanks in advance
pete
Old 01-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: getting back into eprom tuning after a 10 year hiatus

I used to use that stuff back in the late Jurassic period of tuning....

Do yourself a favor and get the following.

Tunerpro RT (free, unless you want to contribute some $$) Or Tunercat (I tune with Tunercat RT but use Tunerpro RT for datalogging).

Ostrich 2.0 http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the....html?cPath=95
With the Ostrich, you can do real time emulation to get your tune dialed in, then burn the chip when you're done.

27S51S electronically erasable EPROMS http://www.moates.net/c2-sst-27sf512....html?cPath=26 If you're using the Ostrich for all your iteration, then it probably is not a big deal to use your UV Eraseable PROMs since you just burn one at the end and that's it.

But if you don't plan on an Ostrich, I'd HIGHLY recommend ditching the UV stuff and getting the 27S512 EEPROMs and a burner http://www.moates.net/burn2-chip-pro....html?cPath=94

Lastly, you NEED a wide band O2 sensor. I tried tuning for years without one, chasing my tail like crazy. When I finally got one, I got light years further in one month than I did in all the years prior. I'm running an AEM and it's a pretty good unit.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 formula
Engine: 350 tpi supercharged
Transmission: 700 r4

so after digging deeper it seems I have some sort of old kit style wb02 sensor setup . I think this was the old ob sensor system that were being sold as kits 15 years ago. and since they were discussed here I bought one somewhere. seems things have come a long way since then so it too is likely junk.too bad as I remember the 02 sensors were hard to acquire back then.

--2 crag moats adaptors with quick release
--a hypertec chip that has a removable e-prom
--a slp chip that looks like a factory plastic wrapped chip looks like the chip pn#40054
--both moats adaptors have non uv style chips that read at29c256 atmel brand

so right now I downloaded tuner pro,but will need a cable to hook to my laptop as the old diacom cable is not usb.i will contact tunercat as I think it was a buy once use forever deal so maybe they will hook me up

any more advice?as you can tell I'm planning on jumping back in with both feet.

looking at moates .net it appears a autoprom may be the way to go any input on this?

pete

Last edited by icecold; 01-31-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: autoprom question
Old 01-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

Basically that Moates pretty much has everything you need, including the cable.