DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

ignition waveform questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 PM
???

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
ignition waveform questions

i am trying to research some ideas, running a 749 ecm on $58 in a beater rodeo i have had around forever and for the short term has become my daily. i picked on one of those small o scopes for some stuff at work, and today thought about checking what the rodeo dizzy is putting out, to see if its something i can use.

its one of the non gm engines, but looks like an optical sensor in the dizzy that puts out a 5v ish, more like 4 haha. square wave. which i believe is what our ecms get from the gm ign module. so that part should work. and it sends a 5v square wave back to what they seem to call the power transistor. that fires the coil. which i think is just and external version of whats in our ign module in the bottom of the dizzy.. so the part that i'm worried about, is the under 400rpms, the ecm is bypassed, and coil is run off the module straight from the pick up coil sign-wave. i had 2 thoughts on that, if i can use a switch of some sort, to take the 4x dizzy signal and feed it stright to the power transistor and set the timing to 10* while cranking. but what kinda switch and how would it be triggered once running. other idea is if there's a place in the code that i can lower the 400rpm crank referance to soemthing lower than the starter can spin the motor and the ecm fire the coil during cranking.

appreciate any thoughts on how this might work.

some pics, of the dizzy inside and some caps from the scope at idle.
Attached Thumbnails ignition waveform questions-opticaldizzy.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
A1 4x input.BMP (38.0 KB, 117 views)
A1.1 4x input.BMP (38.0 KB, 104 views)
C1 out to power trans.BMP (38.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:38 AM
???

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: ignition waveform questions

I think I've found a diagram of the solid state switching in the ign module. so it should work fine without a pickup coil signwave input, terminal R and the output of the AC to DC signal converter are tired together. just gotta start repinning.

I'll attach it incase anyone else needs it someday.
Attached Thumbnails ignition waveform questions-gm-ign-module-schm.jpg